Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
not to mention stocking walleye in a system with natural reproduction is an outdated practice from a management prospective.

I think you meant to say “reactive changes to protect fish” This is the main problem with a lot of the fisheries management plans. Most changes come because there is already a problem (reactive strategy) as opposed making changes based on concerns of a potential problem in the future. (proactive strategy) There are times these changes, unfortunately, are not made through careful consideration of scientific evidence, but made from irresponsible assumptions and political and personal agendas.

Exacly what I meant. Thanks Ty
Old 11-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl2 View Post
Thanks you for your valuable input in this matter......
Really I dont think you have a clue. Ithink you could go get a job at srd. You know as much as they do... So if you were so concerned about all the spawners in this province why is that that that is the only fish we can keep????? The only reason our pike fishery is crap is cause alberta shut down all our walleye for years and pike got targeted and the fish that keep things going were all taken out(or a great majority did)... So who cares if you try and catch a fish up the arm in that time of the year.... Make it C&R not shut it down..... If you are that concerned shut the lake down.... I still see nothing wrong in that lake as you can go out and catch 100's of small ones a day so I really dont think that catching fish early effect much.The problem is that people are taking those fise that are spawning...So I think limitiing people to let spawners go in that time is way more valuable than closing down the west end as people are still catching them at the other end of the lake anyway.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
Really I dont think you have a clue. Ithink you could go get a job at srd. You know as much as they do... So if you were so concerned about all the spawners in this province why is that that that is the only fish we can keep????? The only reason our pike fishery is crap is cause alberta shut down all our walleye for years and pike got targeted and the fish that keep things going were all taken out(or a great majority did)... So who cares if you try and catch a fish up the arm in that time of the year.... Make it C&R not shut it down..... If you are that concerned shut the lake down.... I still see nothing wrong in that lake as you can go out and catch 100's of small ones a day so I really dont think that catching fish early effect much.The problem is that people are taking those fise that are spawning...So I think limitiing people to let spawners go in that time is way more valuable than closing down the west end as people are still catching them at the other end of the lake anyway.

Bawhahahahahahaha....... you are a character indeed. for your information i have had a couple conversations with terry clayton about the size limits on traverse expressing my concerns over the current regulations, have you had any? written any e mails?. I am glad you are happy catching 100's of small fish a day, but even all your small fish will disappear if spawning fish are not protected and then what, we all get to listen to your ranting about how srd don't know what they are doing. i guess we should all do things your way, complain on the net while doing nothing and blaming everybody. you are a self proclaimed expert in fisheries and apparently if you were running srd there would be no problems so i urge you to apply for a job at srd, and then i can flame you on the net while not leaving the comforts of my home. i am by no way saying the srd if perfect but with limited resources and funds sometimes they are going to have to make changes that not everybody is gonna agree with and the only way for you to get your say in is by investing a little more than ranting on ao about how much better you are ....lol.... again thank you very much for your valuable input in this matter....

on a side note i do believe that there are some changes that will benefit traverse long term so my son gets memories there like i got when i was little. and hopefully they all come but as for anymore changes this year i am not sure we can expect any as regulation changes have to be reviewed at the round table meeting prior to changes and the test netting results would have to show overwhelming data to force an emergency change. i am very curious to see what kind of info comes from the test netting.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Bawhahahahahahaha....... you are a character indeed. for your information i have had a couple conversations with terry clayton about the size limits on traverse expressing my concerns over the current regulations, have you had any? written any e mails?. I am glad you are happy catching 100's of small fish a day, but even all your small fish will disappear if spawning fish are not protected and then what, we all get to listen to your ranting about how srd don't know what they are doing. i guess we should all do things your way, complain on the net while doing nothing and blaming everybody. you are a self proclaimed expert in fisheries and apparently if you were running srd there would be no problems so i urge you to apply for a job at srd, and then i can flame you on the net while not leaving the comforts of my home. i am by no way saying the srd if perfect but with limited resources and funds sometimes they are going to have to make changes that not everybody is gonna agree with and the only way for you to get your say in is by investing a little more than ranting on ao about how much better you are ....lol.... again thank you very much for your valuable input in this matter....

on a side note i do believe that there are some changes that will benefit traverse long term so my son gets memories there like i got when i was little. and hopefully they all come but as for anymore changes this year i am not sure we can expect any as regulation changes have to be reviewed at the round table meeting prior to changes and the test netting results would have to show overwhelming data to force an emergency change. i am very curious to see what kind of info comes from the test netting.
Hey It is funny how I have sent many letter s about many different thing in this province...I have been at this for a lot longer than you have bud. I dont think you read my post You just wanted to run your mouth.....So how is all of the smaller fish I catch when I go there not doing anything for the lake????? The ones you catch are young and have not been caught yet.There are tones of big fish in that lake but they are educated to fishermen..... So all of those little one will spawn in a couple years and the next batch of smaleer and so no.. Pretty common sence...I staed make it C&R instead of closing stuff down....

So hot shot what is your opinion????? shut it down for fishing???? so you are know god what do you do??? I love how you come and knock me so what are you going to do or should I say what would you prepose we do????? young exspert......
Old 11-13-2011, 09:54 AM

Default It seems to me!

JUSTN, keep up the good work.

I am sure when SRD or F&W guys and gals go to national conventions
they are held up as gods , for being able to perpetrate the giant hoax that they did on the sportfisherman in Alberta . This govt's only criteria is to spend as little money on this resource as they possibly can ...To never spend any money on stockin real game fish .....and for this they are
likely considered geniuses for duping the general public into thinking they knew what they were doing. I blame the G&F clubs for taking the govts word that the best , most accessible waters in the province were collapsed .
I agree , its all take and no give ....bussiness as usual .
If I ever have the dubious pleasure of speaking to Mr. Clayton , I will be suggesting the keeping of smaller fish from these waters with limits...
Reduce the numbers , increase the growth potential.

And this is for my AO bud, and you know who you are ....if I remember right
the CBC ran a story on these lake closures and threw a very positive spin on this Govt policy...something about the resource being only for the elite....

And for the millions following this thread , we are working on the
membership for the Fish & Fry Club.... first meeting to be held
where you ask ? Why at JOEYS Only of corse ....Date to be announced ..

Always glad tio help....W101
Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hey It is funny how I have sent many letter s about many different thing in this province...I have been at this for a lot longer than you have bud. I dont think you read my post You just wanted to run your mouth.....So how is all of the smaller fish I catch when I go there not doing anything for the lake????? The ones you catch are young and have not been caught yet.There are tones of big fish in that lake but they are educated to fishermen..... So all of those little one will spawn in a couple years and the next batch of smaleer and so no.. Pretty common sence...I staed make it C&R instead of closing stuff down....

So hot shot what is your opinion????? shut it down for fishing???? so you are know god what do you do??? I love how you come and knock me so what are you going to do or should I say what would you prepose we do????? young exspert......
Sunday mornings are the best you get to read all the late saturday after the hotel closes posts......... Better then the Sunday funny paper.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Sunday mornings are the best you get to read all the late saturday after the hotel closes posts......... Better then the Sunday funny paper.
yep it was late but trust me I was not the guy drinking but the driver.... I am one for changing things if it is needed... No need to change anything other than people take the wrong fish in albertas waters. by taking out the spawners....So why is it it is only in alberta we have to close everything down instead of doing what other provinces do to maintain there heathy fishery???????
Old 11-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Justin.C;1158486]yep it was late but trust me I was not the guy drinking but the driver.... I am one for changing things if it is needed... No need to change anything other than people take the wrong fish in albertas waters. by taking out the spawners....So why is it it is only in alberta we have to close everything down instead of doing what other provinces do to maintain there heathy fishery???????[/QUOTE]

Sorry big mistake there I'm originally from Ontario fished all over it and they not only close walleye and bass spawning areas but they close a large area surrounding them. If caught fishing in this area you are charged with harassing fish on spawn you lose all your gear lose fishing rights and get a large fine they take their fishery very serious there. Ont. has a huge fishery compared to Alberta so if they are that carful with theirs maybe we should think more about the one here. I would gladly give up a small area for a small time to improve the fishery in the long run.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=horsetrader;1158672]
Quote:
yep it was late but trust me I was not the guy drinking but the driver.... I am one for changing things if it is needed... No need to change anything other than people take the wrong fish in albertas waters. by taking out the spawners....So why is it it is only in alberta we have to close everything down instead of doing what other provinces do to maintain there heathy fishery???????[/QUOTE]

Sorry big mistake there I'm originally from Ontario fished all over it and they not only close walleye and bass spawning areas but they close a large area surrounding them. If caught fishing in this area you are charged with harassing fish on spawn you lose all your gear lose fishing rights and get a large fine they take their fishery very serious there. Ont. has a huge fishery compared to Alberta so if they are that carful with theirs maybe we should think more about the one here. I would gladly give up a small area for a small time to improve the fishery in the long run.
Ok I see what you are saying..I did not know that...As for spawning grounds you could say yhere are lots of spawning grounds in that lake so why only one spot??? Also why can you keep any walleye during this period????
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM

First off, i applaud everyone in this thread for keeping cool heads and avoiding a lock down. Thank You.
(except for the obvious 1 and 2 post alters)

Some of posters seem to have a huge dislike for the SRD, which may be founded for whatever personal reasons they may have.
Some have posted their personal discussions on what SRD has told them, e.g. "That the arm is not a major spawning area", that comment alone is confussing and lessens the credibilty of this change.
Although i respect that certain clubs claim to have pushed this reg change thru, I want the data from SRD that backs this reg change, data which has been refussed to us. Proper data that gives us the best options for the lake's health. Data that indicates population numbers,fishing pressure,year classes,areas of the lake that need special consideration, etc etc.
Without the data and paper trail i fail to see SRD's purpose or function concerning OUR fish.
My issue has been from the beginning a issue of transperancy. All though i back this reg change in part as it is written. As a fisherman of Travers for over 40 years i see a problem. Is my issue with certain clubs an special interest groups?, not really but there appears to be some evidence in this thread that may indicate they know more than average joe blow fisherman.
Am i against tournament fisherman? Not in the least, they provide a competitive avenue for the sport and its open to all. Would i like to see the next Gary Parsons be a Alberta fisherman....fore sure!!!

I have kept fairly detailed notes every year on how my fishing is on Travers for the past 23 years, open and ice. I wish i had scribbles going back further.
The main concern i have with the past 3 years is the lack of certain year classes, so lacking i believe they are almost non exsistant.
Do i believe the eyes use the Arm for spawning...absolutely. Is it their only spawn site....Absolutely not. Is it their optimum area for success....Absolutely Yes. The arm provides the temp range for spawning early in the year. It provides the bottom substrate that walleyes will spawn on. Waters near and on route provide ideal pre and post spawn areas, waters that provide forage and depth.
Do they use other spawn areas? Yes and in fact i know of 2 areas they didnt use 10 years ago. Are those fish forced to spawn else where because of the Arm's traffic? Is it weather related?

I mearly want the facts from the people who should know or are suppose to know. The data they used to suggest this reg change should answer my questions and we will continue to try find the data

Not a crybaby , poor me post...just a update that i havent given up. When i do find out any info.....I will share it with everyone, because those fish belong to EVERYONE
Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM

Thank you for that hard work you are putting in chubb. and I hope you can dig up the information that is necessary to really get everyone on the same page about what is happening with this water system.

Like you said, until we see that information no one can really say what is best for the fishery or make the proper changes to make it a better fishery.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:

I wasn't running my mouth at all, you just seemed so against the protection of spawning fish that i didn't, and still don't know where you are coming from. You seem to think that the closure for a short period is not protecting fish and i think that it will so we can agree to disagree on that matter. As for the size limits on traverse i absolutely agree that the way it is now is not good, i have had this conversation with terry clayton and have expressed my concerns. I was also concerned that only the west arm was being shut down and not other spawning areas but did not get a answer. I will continue to press this issue there until i get the answers i am looking for. I have no clue why my age has anything to do with it, all you showed me is that you look on peoples profiles and base there intelligence on the year they were born. I would like to respond to more of your post but cant understand a lot of it.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Justin.C;1160009]
Quote:
Ok I see what you are saying..I did not know that...As for spawning grounds you could say yhere are lots of spawning grounds in that lake so why only one spot??? Also why can you keep any walleye during this period????
Can you give me a list of other spawning grounds on this lake and some documentation of them. There is no reason to stop all harvest in the lake just protect the areas and times where they are most vulnerable
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=horsetrader;1160973]
Quote:

Can you give me a list of other spawning grounds on this lake and some documentation of them. There is no reason to stop all harvest in the lake just protect the areas and times where they are most vulnerable
No I am not giving you the locations..I like to catch fish not keep them..Also They will get closed down aswell.... I dont see a problem fishing in any area..It is the peole keeping the spawners in this time witch is what is hurting this lake and all others like it in our province...
Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
I wasn't running my mouth at all, you just seemed so against the protection of spawning fish that i didn't, and still don't know where you are coming from. You seem to think that the closure for a short period is not protecting fish and i think that it will so we can agree to disagree on that matter. As for the size limits on traverse i absolutely agree that the way it is now is not good, i have had this conversation with terry clayton and have expressed my concerns. I was also concerned that only the west arm was being shut down and not other spawning areas but did not get a answer. I will continue to press this issue there until i get the answers i am looking for. I have no clue why my age has anything to do with it, all you showed me is that you look on peoples profiles and base there intelligence on the year they were born. I would like to respond to more of your post but cant understand a lot of it.
So why dont we just close the lake down like they did with every other lake in alberta?????? I find it funny how you could go out to crawling valley and keep walleye for years. and the shut it down... Now you go there and there is nothing for fish like there use to be when you could keep fish... I dont fish that west wing during the time they want to close it.. I have once. So really it does not effect me at all....I just dont like seeing things change when they have NO real evidence that this is needed...

So untill I see any documentation stating different I am agaist it.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
So why dont we just close the lake down like they did with every other lake in alberta?????? I find it funny how you could go out to crawling valley and keep walleye for years. and the shut it down... Now you go there and there is nothing for fish like there use to be when you could keep fish... I dont fish that west wing during the time they want to close it.. I have once. So really it does not effect me at all....I just dont like seeing things change when they have NO real evidence that this is needed...

When could you keep walleye in CVR?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
So why dont we just close the lake down like they did with every other lake in alberta?????? I find it funny how you could go out to crawling valley and keep walleye for years. and the shut it down... Now you go there and there is nothing for fish like there use to be when you could keep fish... I dont fish that west wing during the time they want to close it.. I have once. So really it does not effect me at all....I just dont like seeing things change when they have NO real evidence that this is needed

[QUOTE=Justin.C;1161571]
Quote:
No I am not giving you the locations..I like to catch fish not keep them..Also They will get closed down aswell.... I dont see a problem fishing in any area..It is the peole keeping the spawners in this time witch is what is hurting this lake and all others like it in our province...

So just to clarify your position. Yes you agree the Lake needs reg changes because as you say in RED its hurting?
OR
No you dont think the lake is hurting and no changes are needed as you say in green
Old 11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=chubbdarter;1161690]
Quote:
[/COLOR]

So just to clarify your position. Yes you agree the Lake needs reg changes because as you say in RED its hurting?
OR
No you dont think the lake is hurting and no changes are needed as you say in green
I think that taking the biggest fish in the lake is stupid....But that is the alberta way...That is why you cant go catch many good size pike anymore in the south... I think the only change should be is a slot size. So the spawners can spawn and the lake can stay healthy as ever with no closures needed if any are required in the first place.

So you take it how you want chub....
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
When could you keep walleye in CVR?
10+ years ago.... limit was three over 50 cm I think the last year was 97...But yes you could keep them.......
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
10+ years ago.... limit was three over 50 cm I think the last year was 97...But yes you could keep them.......
Hmmm...don't remember that but there's lots I don't remember these days. I can never remember it being anything but C&R and I've been fishing it since they stocked it but maybe you are right. Anyone else remember a limit on CVR?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
but those are the spawners correct? you say you dont like to keep the spawners but you also say there was no need for change..... you cant have it both ways.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=Justin.C;1161694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I think that taking the biggest fish in the lake is stupid....But that is the alberta way...That is why you cant go catch many good size pike anymore in the south... I think the only change should be is a slot size. So the spawners can spawn and the lake can stay healthy as ever with no closures needed if any are required in the first place.

So you take it how you want chub....
I think we are actually closer to agreeing than disagreeing.
I also dont like the over 50/55/63 harvest.
Where we differ is I want a closure to protect the spawners. Ive always believed any creature in a pre/spawn/post situation will do best in a stress free enviroment. Bio's i have spoken to confirm this.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm...don't remember that but there's lots I don't remember these days. I can never remember it being anything but C&R and I've been fishing it since they stocked it but maybe you are right. Anyone else remember a limit on CVR?
I also have been fishing that lake since the beginning when they had the best trout fishing the province has ever seen.... I just tryed googling it... When did they say that all waters were in touble and shut all wayeye fishing down in the south?????That was the last year.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
but those are the spawners correct? you say you dont like to keep the spawners but you also say there was no need for change..... you cant have it both ways.
who said I wanted it both ways??? I stated the regs.... I normally did not keep them and if I did I kept the smallest one that was legal.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:

right here.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I also have been fishing that lake since the beginning when they had the best trout fishing the province has ever seen.... I just tryed googling it... When did they say that all waters were in touble and shut all wayeye fishing down in the south?????That was the last year.
Think you are wrong Justin....just found this. Glad I wasn't losing my mind. You must be thinking of another lake.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/de...-Res-AB,04.pdf

Quote:
Prior to the late 1990’s, the walleye (Sander vitreus) fishery was minimal in southern
Alberta as populations were limited to a small number of rivers and irrigation
reservoirs (Council and Clayton 1997, 1998). In response to increasing demands for
angling opportunities, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development (ASRD) initiated
walleye stocking programs in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s on many irrigation
reservoirs in southern Alberta, including the Crawling Valley Reservoir (Alberta
Forestry, Lands and Wildlife 1986 ‐ 1989). Crawling Valley Reservoir was stocked each
year from 1990 to 1992 and currently supports one of the best walleye fisheries in
southern Alberta that is fast becoming popular among recreational anglers. To allow
stocked walleye sufficient time to establish and reproduce, Crawling Valley Reservoir
was managed as a catch‐and‐release fishery with an annual angling season from 8 May
to 15 March, and an angling closure from 16 March to 7 May during spring spawning
(ASRD 2004a).
With the increasing popularity of the walleye fishery on the reservoir, anglers are
expected to pressure ASRD to change walleye fishing regulations from catch‐andrelease
to an allowable harvest. Although several sportfish inventory studies have been
conducted on the reservoir (Council and Clayton 1997, 1998, 1999; Council 2000, 2001,
2002; Council and Cooper 2003; Cooper 2004), little quantitative data exist on angling
pressure or walleye population size. In 2004, the Alberta Conservation Association
(ACA) and ASRD initiated a five‐part field study which included a Fall Walleye Index
Netting (FWIN) survey to assess the status of the walleye fishery in the reservoir. The
quantitative data collected from this survey is intended to help formulate future
management guidelines pertaining to walleye harvest in the reservoir. In the current
report, data are presented on population structure, growth, density and stability, as
part of the larger study.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=chubbdarter;1161703]
Quote:

I think we are actually closer to agreeing than disagreeing.
I also dont like the over 50/55/63 harvest.
Where we differ is I want a closure to protect the spawners. Ive always believed any creature in a pre/spawn/post situation will do best in a stress free enviroment. Bio's i have spoken to confirm this.
Hey Chub...Like I have said before.If there is proof that this or anything else will make it better than lets do it... I still have not seen anything to confirm that it will make it better... So please so me the info and I will back you up 100%...My only thing is if we just say ok with out this what are they going to take next???
Old 11-15-2011, 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=Justin.C;1161571]
Quote:
It is the peole keeping the spawners in this time witch is what is hurting this lake and all others like it in our province...
and here.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM

oh oh.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Think you are wrong Justin....just found this. Glad I wasn't losing my mind. You must be thinking of another lake.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/de...-Res-AB,04.pdf
Trust me I kept fish out of that lake and always got checked by the co's I never got a ticket and ate some good fish.