Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Since there is so much talk about getting bass back into Alberta, I was wondering if any of you have submitted a resolution through your local F&G club to SRD to get them back in Alberta?
Have not submitted anything through any F&G club but contacted SRD over a year ago had a few correspondence with them. Their main response was that there was some much money spent on restocking now that to get involved in restocking another species would take to much money away from on going projects. I do believe this to a degree you don't want to lose what has be cultivated over the years. The only problem with this situation so much of the stocking is put and take that it will always be an ongoing issue and will never cease to drain the funds. The only recourse is to allow privatization of Bass ponds and lakes as they have done with trout in other areas. There is no doubt a Bass fishery in Alberta as a self sustained fishery is highly unlikely in the near future what could happen in the distant future with hybrids or breeding its hard to say what could be done.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 AM

And is there something wrong with getting some fresh opinions? Go ahead, post new threads, it is after all a fishing "discussion", not a fishing "search engine".

Global warming has caused many changes in our weather patterns, and often times lakes are warmer now than they have ever been. The chances of stocked bass surviving have most likely increased.

I would like to have some close by, but driving 3 hours is no big deal to me. There are lots of bass close to home...
Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM

If the bass can even survive our winters, I think it would be a bad idea. Like perch, people would bucket them into lakes and rivers where they shouldn't be. And they're a predator species, It wouldn't be hard for them to compete with pike. I think it would be a good idea though to stock them into lakes that were illegally stocked with perch. They'd clear up that problem pretty well I think.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
If the bass can even survive our winters, I think it would be a bad idea. Like perch, people would bucket them into lakes and rivers where they shouldn't be. And they're a predator species, It wouldn't be hard for them to compete with pike. I think it would be a good idea though to stock them into lakes that were illegally stocked with perch. They'd clear up that problem pretty well I think.
People always seem to be afraid of them being bucketed in to other waters but that is posable with any fish at any time.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Explain how it would be just as easy, to get bass from another province and transport them here, as it would for them to get bass from an alberta stocked lake. It would be way harder to transfer fish from province to province, rather than someone doing it locally, don't you think? Most ppl who transfer fish species illegally don't have the means to do that.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Explain how it would be just as easy, to get bass from another province and transport them here, as it would for them to get bass from an alberta stocked lake. It would be way harder to transfer fish from province to province, rather than someone doing it locally, don't you think? Most ppl who transfer fish species illegally don't have the means to do that.
Sorry perhaps I did not say it right what I was getting at it is just as easy for some one to take Perch, Pike, Walleye, or any other fish and put them in to any trout ponds or lakes as what it would be for them to do it with Bass
Old 09-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Sorry perhaps I did not say it right what I was getting at it is just as easy for some one to take Perch, Pike, Walleye, or any other fish and put them in to any trout ponds or lakes as what it would be for them to do it with Bass
My guess for why it doesn't happen regularly for other species is that there isn't the same motivation for it as those species are already well distributed throughout Alberta. The exception to this is perch, people may know that they can easily survive in smaller ponds and therefore it may be worth it to them to transport them to a new place.

I think it would be different for bass, as they would most likely be introduced to only a few places first, so people would start catching them and want them elsewhere, then take it upon themselves to move them around and illegally introduce them wherever they wanted. If they got put into certain places it could be very bad for local fish populations there and affect the entire lake.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
My guess for why it doesn't happen regularly for other species is that there isn't the same motivation for it as those species are already well distributed throughout Alberta. The exception to this is perch, people may know that they can easily survive in smaller ponds and therefore it may be worth it to them to transport them to a new place.

I think it would be different for bass, as they would most likely be introduced to only a few places first, so people would start catching them and want them elsewhere, then take it upon themselves to move them around and illegally introduce them wherever they wanted. If they got put into certain places it could be very bad for local fish populations there and affect the entire lake.
But see that is a contradiction to what has been said many times over Bass can not survive in Alberta waters so how can they affect the natural fish population
Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

Why don't you Bass fisherman get a pile of money together, stock a private water body without taxpayer funds, and you will all have a happy time.

Remember, no taxpayer funds.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Caught a pile of smallmouth bass in northern Idaho the last week of August. They were awesome to catch! Most of them went airborne during the battles. The boys and I had a great week. Just had a few for supper this evening. They are right up there with Walleye for sure.

Too bad that they aren't native here. I'm not even sure that many of our lakes would be suitable for them either. They like clean, clear water - disqualifying many of our lakes.

Oh well... I'll just have to head to BC, Manitoba or Idaho to get my fill of these exciting game fish.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfinder.alberta View Post
Caught a pile of smallmouth bass in northern Idaho the last week of August. They were awesome to catch! Most of them went airborne during the battles. The boys and I had a great week. Just had a few for supper this evening. They are right up there with Walleye for sure.

Too bad that they aren't native here. I'm not even sure that many of our lakes would be suitable for them either. They like clean, clear water - disqualifying many of our lakes.

Oh well... I'll just have to head to BC, Manitoba or Idaho to get my fill of these exciting game fish.
Welcome to the forums.

I think mcgregor lake res would be suitable.
I would think. Big enough as well
Old 09-10-2011, 09:06 PM

Bass do well in mucky water too as anyone who has caught them in Duck lake near Creston will attest. Maybe bass won't do well here for the same reason we can't grow peaches.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Why don't you Bass fisherman get a pile of money together, stock a private water body without taxpayer funds, and you will all have a happy time.

Remember, no taxpayer funds.
No my tax dollars and i pay a lot go towards restocking in alberta and my license money goes the same place as your so don't see why i must do it without tax dollars.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM

i did a thread a few months ago and came up short
Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
yup, do a search on the subject!

If everyone just did a search instead of starting a new thread, this forum would die in a week.Every topic, other than maybe what you had for breakfast on a particular day has been covered time and again on here and every other forum I'm sure.

I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape about bringing up a topic more than once. If you think a thread has had too much exposure then don't respond . Pretty simple if you ask me.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
If everyone just did a search instead of starting a new thread, this forum would die in a week.Every topic, other than maybe what you had for breakfast on a particular day has been covered time and again on here and every other forum I'm sure.

I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape about bringing up a topic more than once. If you think a thread has had too much exposure then don't respond . Pretty simple if you ask me.
There are new people coming to this forum every day along with those new people comes new opinions and new information if you find a subject repetitive don't read it don't respond to it ..........your right it is simple.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 AM

I still think at the very least , offering bass would take attention off walleye and trout ...
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
No my tax dollars and i pay a lot go towards restocking in alberta and my license money goes the same place as your so don't see why i must do it without tax dollars.
x2 I'm sick of Alot of MY Tax dollars going to Trout.They have there place big Time in alberta which is a good thing because they are fun to fish for ,but enough is enough.Bring on The Bass!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

Here we go again.

Why do some sportsmen/women insist on wanting to play "god".

What is it that they don't understand the mess that happens when non-indigenous species are introduced into an ecosystem?

NO, NO, and a thousand times NO!!!

BTW, the stocking of fish pond etc. are not funded by tax dollars, but by a portion of your license fees.

Let's try and deal with the challenges that exist in Alberta's fisheries, and not try and mess it up by introducing new challenges.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Alberta hasn't been able to figure out this mess for a long time, I think it's time to forge a new path. Small introductions here and there would benefit us and offer more variety.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Here we go again.

What is it that they don't understand the mess that happens when non-indigenous species are introduced into an ecosystem?

BTW, the stocking of fish pond etc. are not funded by tax dollars, but by a portion of your license fees.

Let's try and deal with the challenges that exist in Alberta's fisheries, and not try and mess it up by introducing new challenges.
So what fish in Alberta are'nt Native? I know that bull trout are a Native fish,but what species are'nt native?
Old 09-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Here we go again.

They have been stocking put and take trout waters for years maybe its about time to stock put and take with Bass as there is already natural trout waters why do we also need them in put and take some dy the old boys club has to wake up and realize there is more to fish then trout and people want to try them
Old 09-11-2011, 01:52 PM

The only species of fish that aren't native are brown, brook, and most rainbow populations.

Look, this is rediculous. They stocked the rivers with brown and rainbows and they survived and were able to breed. They stocked many lakes with bass and NONE of their populations survived except for maybe island lake, and a small population if any at all. They've tried it, it failed. What more do you guys want? If you want to fish for bass, either move to a different province or take a trip. Alot determines whether a population of fish can survive in a body of water. You can't just throw things in a water body and expect them to survive. Do you even know what water alkalinity is?

Quote:
Because it's a waste of money. So maybe waste your own instead of everyone else's? that's probably what he meant.

And fishpro, you got it right buddy. That's exactly what I meant.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
The only species of fish that aren't native are brown, brook, and most rainbow populations.

Look, this is rediculous. They stocked the rivers with brown and rainbows and they survived and were able to breed. They stocked many lakes with bass and NONE of their populations survived except for maybe island lake, and a small population if any at all. They've tried it, it failed. What more do you guys want? If you want to fish for bass, either move to a different province or take a trip. Alot determines whether a population of fish can survive in a body of water. You can't just throw things in a water body and expect them to survive. Do you even know what water alkalinity is?

Because it's a waste of money. So maybe waste your own instead of everyone else's? that's probably what he meant.

And fishpro, you got it right buddy. That's exactly what I meant.

So your saying its ok to throw away money on PUT AND TAKE Trout but not on put and take Bass very open minded aren't you Well i think enough of my money has been wasted on trout that don't survive

Bass can and have survived in different waters with different ph levels they will adapt to hp faster and better then trout
Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Banned

There are 65 species of fish in Alberta, 54 that are native or have well-established introduced populations and 11 additional exotic species.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

I wonder if there might not be some useful info in past threads? Much of the info in those threads is pertinent to this thread!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
There are new people coming to this forum every day along with those new people comes new opinions and new information if you find a subject repetitive don't read it don't respond to it ..........your right it is simple.
See previous post!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Simple - this day and age fisheries personel are reluctant to introduce new species! And rightly so!

Should we be able to fish for asian carp in AB just because I want them or what about snakeshead?

What they did by importing species in the 1920's or there abouts does NOT justify what they have learned since then!

If you want to fish for bass - go to them. Take a trip. Sheesh.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
I wonder if there might not be some useful info in past threads? Much of the info in those threads is pertinent to this thread!
I agree I think a search is good you can get some good information but I don't think someone should be afraid of staring a new thread sometimes it will bring new info. it sparks new interest in an old subject.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Simple - this day and age fisheries personel are reluctant to introduce new species! And rightly so!

Should we be able to fish for asian carp in AB just because I want them or what about snakeshead?

What they did by importing species in the 1920's or there abouts does NOT justify what they have learned since then!

If you want to fish for bass - go to them. Take a trip. Sheesh.
See this is what i don't understand this is just a simple post about bass in alberta and the true friggin bloods get all worked up over people talking about it.No one is being forced to introduce bass and if they are introduced your not being forced to fish for them. It is a discussion if you don't like the discussion then don't read it.SHEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!. Just remember if it was not for the introduction of new species or the stocking of put and take you would not have the fishery that you do.