Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2023, 06:27 AM

Default Calgary Police

Generally I support all police officers and activities but this latest eposide of Killing two intoixicated males and wounding a third have me wondering what is going on. We all saw the van driving is slow motion on the tube and i would think that first a spike belt or taking out the tires would be more in order.
You have to be able to stop a stolen van going in slow motion before killing the drivers
what am I missing here?
Did the occupants have firearms pointing at the police?
Old 05-31-2023, 06:31 AM

The media only shows the segments they want. I'm pretty confident that police don't generally pull a gun out unless there is a darn good reason. If the police did the right think then as far as I'm concerned two less to live off of government handouts for the rest of their lives. From my perspective media is about as trustworthy as a snake.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:37 AM

Would it be better if the van had run over someone, or caused an accident that hurt or killed someone? Without knowing all of the details, I for one won't condemn the actions of the police in this situation.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Generally I support all police officers and activities but this latest eposide of Killing two intoixicated males and wounding a third have me wondering what is going on. We all saw the van driving is slow motion on the tube and i would think that first a spike belt or taking out the tires would be more in order.
You have to be able to stop a stolen van going in slow motion before killing the drivers
what am I missing here?
Did the occupants have firearms pointing at the police?
You asked questions that have your answer right in it....your missing something.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-31-2023, 06:44 AM

Two sides to every story...U know that

But the ones that get the ratings will be available

There had to be a reason
Old 05-31-2023, 06:47 AM

Definitely a lot more to this one than meets the eye, particularly since two individuals were shot and killed, presumably by the same officer. Drawing and discharging a service weapon is a last resort so something very serious went down that we are not aware of. I did find it odd however that there was zero mention of it on the news yesterday, even as a footnote. Assuming the officer acted to prevent serious harm to others then it was a good outcome in my books.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip View Post
Two sides to every story...U know that

But the ones that get the ratings will be available

There had to be a reason
Sometimes the reasons given seem very trivial, shoot first, answer to ASIRT afterwards, who as a rules endorse the shooting.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-31-2023, 08:38 AM

Default Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Sometimes the reasons given seem very trivial, shoot first, answer to ASIRT afterwards, who as a rules endorse the shooting.

Grizz
I think the fact that ASIRT investigation's usually do exonerate the Police tell me that the safeguards are working and that police do take pulling a firearm seriously. The public rarely get all the details when there is an incident.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:54 AM

I just watched one of the videos. Talk about a slow speed chase. They had to have had some indication that there were weapons involved otherwise why would they not have corralled that cube van in and stopped it with a few cruisers(Looks like they could have done it quite easily). But, I too will wait for all the info to come out. If the 3 had no weapons, I guess we will see what develops.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer23 View Post
I think the fact that ASIRT investigation's usually do exonerate the Police tell me that the safeguards are working and that police do take pulling a firearm seriously. The public rarely get all the details when there is an incident.
On YouTube there are lots of American videos basically if they see a gun in vehicle they blast the guy to pieces. Sometimes it seems they dont wait to see to see if the gun is legal and they certainty dont wait for them to reach for the gun. Nobody seems to care.
One of these days one of your wives are going to leave you and want everything you own and if you dont give it to her she might just call the police and say she feels threatened. Then you will find out how fair and honest the police can be.
About asirt and what they do in private I dont know. I do known RCMP is good at quietly forcing their officers out of the force when the do wrong. Problem is their victim that they screwed over never gets publicly vindicated and the damage doesn't get undone. Then that officer just goes to work in a different police force somewhere else in the country like nothing happened.
Anyway these might have been dirt bags and had it coming and Calgary police might have done the right thing. Who knows? Only God.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:17 PM

How about this?? If cops are chasing you down, pull over and put your hands up. Or expect the worse.
No sympathy
Old 05-31-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
How about this?? If cops are chasing you down, pull over and put your hands up. Or expect the worse.
No sympathy
Thinking of the lady shot in Strathmore recently, with mental issues, hardly a desperado. Did she deserve that ? If I'm in the US especially, I treat all cops like they're looking to ice me.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-31-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
On YouTube there are lots of American videos basically if they see a gun in vehicle they blast the guy to pieces. Sometimes it seems they dont wait to see to see if the gun is legal and they certainty dont wait for them to reach for the gun. Nobody seems to care.
One of these days one of your wives are going to leave you and want everything you own and if you dont give it to her she might just call the police and say she feels threatened. Then you will find out how fair and honest the police can be.
About asirt and what they do in private I dont know. I do known RCMP is good at quietly forcing their officers out of the force when the do wrong. Problem is their victim that they screwed over never gets publicly vindicated and the damage doesn't get undone. Then that officer just goes to work in a different police force somewhere else in the country like nothing happened.
Anyway these might have been dirt bags and had it coming and Calgary police might have done the right thing. Who knows? Only God.
Our policing is very different than the US luckily but when there is a police presence and you have a firearm you are in very dangerous territory no matter what country you are in. If you decide to go there the consequences can be fatal and anyone that doesn't know that, well I'm not sure how that would be possible!
I'm not sure how my wife entered the conversation but yes, there are times when the laws we have can be very skewed to 1 side of the equation, no argument there.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Thinking of the lady shot in Strathmore recently, with mental issues, hardly a desperado. Did she deserve that ? If I'm in the US especially, I treat all cops like they're looking to ice me.

Grizz
Well... The other side of this, should she be driving?
Old 05-31-2023, 06:49 PM

According to the CTV news article I read, there were 3 intoxicated people driving a stolen van erratically that police tried to stop several times. The officer in question did what he felt necessary at the time using his training. I will not judge him for that.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:22 PM

I do not envy the police. Someone breaks the law and puts the general public at risk and the police have to make a decision, only to then be condemned by the armchair crowd that were not present.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:24 PM

Question that comes to mind.....if the situation is that dangerous, why is there only one officer shooting?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-31-2023, 10:04 PM

mehh , thief gets shot , doesn't re offend . id be ok if the cops shot them all.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Question that comes to mind.....if the situation is that dangerous, why is there only one officer shooting?
Its all about perspective. There’s times I may feel threatened from where I am positioned but the next officer over may not feel that same threat. Knowing you have to be able to justify your use of force it’s easy to see why some may not have fired. Add in the public’s “guilty until proven innocent and then you’re still guilty” mentality towards the police, many officers are flat out scared to use force or hesitate when they shouldn’t because they don’t want to be condemned for
Doing their jobs. Just shooting because someone else is doesn’t bode well for you when you have to justify your response.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:28 PM

The three suspects were in a STOLEN 5 TON CUBE VAN. This is not a case of a confused old lady acting strangely. The news said that due to the size regular methods and pit maneuvers to contain the vehicle were ineffective. And the officer was a 13 year veteran. With the number of officers there to witness the situation I suspect there was good reason to use force. Especially to have shot not one but two individuals.

Good riddance, And thank you officer for preventing by these sh*tstains from plowing anyone over or continuing to reoffend in their STOLEN 5 Ton cube van.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervidae View Post
The three suspects were in a STOLEN 5 TON CUBE VAN. This is not a case of a confused old lady acting strangely. The news said that due to the size regular methods and pit maneuvers to contain the vehicle were ineffective. And the officer was a 13 year veteran. With the number of officers there to witness the situation I suspect there was good reason to use force. Especially to have shot not one but two individuals.

Good riddance, And thank you officer for preventing by these sh*tstains from plowing anyone over or continuing to reoffend in their STOLEN 5 Ton cube van.
Someone has thought this out well. You break the law you face the consequences.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:49 PM

Meth heads are very unpredictable, they won't respond in ways anyone expects & LE know this from dealing with the types on a daily basis. A vehicle is a deadly weapon & a 5 ton diesel commercial van is going to shove police vehicles around quite readily. Justifiable shoot, there's no need to put officers at risk when dealing with junkies driving an 8500lb+ dually reefer van. Probably had two of them competing/fighting to drive "I'm in charge!" "No, I'm in charge!"

No need to replicate the tragedy that happened to Sgt Harnett...
Old 05-31-2023, 11:55 PM

If these thieves had run over and killed any ones family on this thread it would be a totally different deal .

The van is weapon and they stopped it.

When there not caught many chirp about them not doing there job. Or how they never try .I'm no cop lover ,but I'm no hypocrite .

When a cop gets killed not one thread about how they died stopping crime or how violent there killers were.

What a sad place, I'm out for good .
Old 06-01-2023, 04:01 AM

Quote:
That question crossed my mind too. I'm also wondering why more than just the driver was shot, by the one officer. At the time the shots were fired, it wasn't a "high speed" chase.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I agree, someone should have a talk with the others officer's and make sure next time they shoot till they can shoot no more.

Enough of this BS, bunch of scum. Send them to the devil's house.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Read fordtruckin’s post....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-01-2023, 07:43 AM

If there are three drunken thieves driving a 5 ton vehicle in my neighborhood, I’d have no problem with the police ventilating them. As elk said, do you want them to wait until someone is run over?

He protected himself and the public, exactly as he is supposed to. Good work.

Don’t want to get shot, don’t steal.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Don’t want to get shot, don’t steal.
And there you have it.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
That question crossed my mind too. I'm also wondering why more than just the driver was shot, by the one officer. At the time the shots were fired, it wasn't a "high speed" chase.
When Sgt Harnett was murdered a couple of years back by the nearly-18 year old driver who took off with him hanging out the window, the passenger was grabbing the steering wheel. In that instance the passenger couldn't possibly reach the gas or the brakes, but in a cube van with a bench seat the person seated next to the driver certainly could, because there's no console in the way. It's even possible the two were fighting for control of the vehicle, meth heads being as logical as they are...
Old 06-01-2023, 10:36 AM

I heard they shot at the cops first