Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 AM

Default Delete

I wanted a Huber trigger for my 1600 Husqvarna. I called in and he told me that they cannot ship triggers into Canada for a year now. I really want this trigger and there are no dealers here. Any idea how I can get this trigger?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
I wanted a Huber trigger for my 1600 Husqvarna. I called in and he told me that they cannot ship triggers into Canada for a year now. I really want this trigger and there are no dealers here. Any idea how I can get this trigger?
I bought one for mine in '13 and they just mailed it to me.
Love the trigger BTW.
Did they say why?
Would they ship to a dealer or gunsmith?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:46 AM

I bought a rifle basix trigger for $125ish two years ago and they had no trouble shipping it. It may be they are concerned about the "$100 or less" law on firearms parts. I don't really understand it because it seems to be inconsistently applied, but I'd see if they are willing to mark it "machined parts".

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 AM

They said they cant ship to Canada for a year now.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
I bought a rifle basix trigger for $125ish two years ago and they had no trouble shipping it. It may be they are concerned about the "$100 or less" law on firearms parts. I don't really understand it because it seems to be inconsistently applied, but I'd see if they are willing to mark it "machined parts".

Good luck.
Certain items are restricted regardless of the price.I have used the services of companies like Prophet River or Irunguns to have products legally exported out of the USA. If a company was to get caught sending restricted parts out of the USA by using creative labelling, they could face huge fines. Most companies are not foolish enough to take that risk.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:04 AM

Triggers over $100 are controlled, some triggers fall under ITAR depending on application even if under $100. Subject to $250 export permit from US State department, end user agreements and Canadian International Import Certificate. Many companies will not do anything that requires a permit.

Having done these types of imports for a company I can tell you it takes from 2 - 6 months for this process to play through when placing a business sized order.

Some US companies will ship what others won't, but most find it is just simpler not to ship outside the US at all than chance running afoul of the ITAR regulations. (Huge fines and possible jail time if they get one small part wrong)
Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Default Trigger

There are ways to buy items like triggers without using a third party service. For instance, I have bought Jewell triggers from Brownells in the past year. They will supply you with the proper forms to import the trigger yourself at no additional cost. Call them and ask how when you order
Old 12-30-2014, 11:34 AM

It would appear, that it is possible, that Huber does not have, and is not interested in acquiring an export licence. He can't ship his product out of the US without one. Neither can anyone who handles his product, legally.
You will see those types of items on Brownell/Sinclair also, generally as anything under that particular brand name. Their export licence does not cover mfgrs who don't have one, so they can't get a permit for that product.
Could well be his sales are not large enough to cover the hassle and expense of the acquisition of a licence. Have to make a lot of export sales to make up the 2750.00 fee for that licence, plus the permit fees for each shipment.
How many triggers do you have to sell, to break even on that fee, at even a 50% net profit on them?
Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Old 12-30-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
Pretty much.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 PM

take a gander at the accurate shooter forum, there's a good review there comparing the Huber to the Jackson.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:39 PM

I bought a Bold trigger through Boyds ,was about $60. and it is a great trigger,I would give them a shout
Old 12-31-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
It would appear, that it is possible, that Huber does not have, and is not interested in acquiring an export licence. He can't ship his product out of the US without one. Neither can anyone who handles his product, legally.
You will see those types of items on Brownell/Sinclair also, generally as anything under that particular brand name. Their export licence does not cover mfgrs who don't have one, so they can't get a permit for that product.
Could well be his sales are not large enough to cover the hassle and expense of the acquisition of a licence. Have to make a lot of export sales to make up the 2750.00 fee for that licence, plus the permit fees for each shipment.
How many triggers do you have to sell, to break even on that fee, at even a 50% net profit on them?
I think this may be it. I found a place in the States that had some small parts I wanted but he didn't have the export permit. I will have to go through a third party to have them sent. The parts are of no consequence in terms of legalities.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
This is the exact situation with the Sharp Shooter Supply triggers, they are happy to ship tools, but do not feel it is cost effective for them to pay the permit cost to allow them to ship their triggers to our small market.

I doubt that this is what Canadian shooters, loggers and steel workers expected to get when they voted for the 'Free? Trade Agreement' with the USA.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM

the ITAR has made a lot of gun related components almost impossible to get in Canada because of the permit requirements & the costs involved. The U.S. Government is the real "fly in the ointment" with this stuff...a lot of it, Canada Customs could care less about; it's the U.S. authorities who have the hissy fit.

If you've driven across the border at one of the larger crossings in the last couple of years, odds are that you were stopped on the U.S. side leaving to return home and asked specifically if you had any firearms, firearm parts, magazines or ammunition in your possession. Heaven help you if you do and don't have the correct paperwork.

We spend part of the winter in Arizona, and I used to take a couple of rifles along to shoot at the public ranges in the Phoenix area. It WAS simple; fill in the ATF and Canada Customs import/export forms, send them in and wait for the paperwork. I'd usually send it in at the end of October and get it back in time to leave the first part of January. I've stopped doing it though; it's just too much hassle now. The last time (2 years ago) we spent over three hours at the border waiting for the USBP to confirm the info on the ATF forms, and CBSA doing the same for their forms. I'd done it for at least 5 years prior, so that was on record, but it still took forever. Very few of those smaller manufacturers will bother with the time, expense & aggravation for limited sales in Canada.It's really a sad situation.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:24 PM

I have heard that australia isn't subject to ITAR regulations... Might want to check a dealer there...
Old 12-31-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I have heard that australia isn't subject to ITAR regulations... Might want to check a dealer there...
How do you think the products get to Australia?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
How do you think the products get to Australia?
And if purchased from the US, the Australian company would have had to supply an End User Agreement that prohibits export from Australia.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:08 PM

Re-export is one of the primary focuses of ITAR. Australia has some of the most assinine gun laws going, in the western world, but, they applied for the exemption on the US export ITAR regs. Canada had its chance, Chretien didn't do it, as Allen Rock was minister back then.. Part of the ITAR agreement is documenting re-export. Don't forget it covers a lot more than guns. An engineer that works at a place like Boeing or Martin-Marietta, has to be very careful about sharing drawings with a subsidiary contractor, out of the country. Could go to jail for e-mailing it to him. Some electrical mfgrs have to be very careful about what they share for info or sell outside, from any country that signed on to ITAR, depending on what it can be used for.
Some items you might not think of, that may be fairly common, or by themselves seem harmless, are actually restricted.
And it was signed well before 9/11, Clinton was in office when it went thru.