Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 08:38 PM

Default Dodge Ram 2500

Looking for some insight. I am looking at buying 2021 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn. I have never had a dodge before. What I am asking is for any pros or cons with this vehicle. I pull a 10,000lb Fifth wheel trailer and my 2009 2500 chev is getting tired.
Any help would be appreciated, Thx.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:10 PM

Is it a gas 6.4l? 5.7l? Or a 6.7 Cummins?
Old 05-30-2023, 09:13 PM

Sorry, 6.4l gas
Old 05-30-2023, 09:45 PM

It will be very thirsty pulling a trailer that heavy.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:56 PM

If you are pulling that heavy a trailer, regularly, maybe look at the 6.7 Cummins.

My 07 is at 512000 and is running fine and can pull whatever it is hitched up to.

That, and if it is a long term ownership better resale on the Diesel.

Drewski
Old 05-31-2023, 06:21 AM

Pros: cheaper than diesel on purchase, maintenance and repairs, warms up much quicker in the winter

Cons: worse fuel mileage, worse resale, less pulling power, typically don’t have the longevity of a diesel either

The 6.7L Cummins is a pretty good motor. I have an older 09 with it, all stock and it hauls my 5th wheel real well. I have yet to have a problem with it. That said, for 10,000 lbs the 6.4L gas will pull that no problem. Like Drewski noted, if you’re towing lots, the diesel will be your friend and probably better choice.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:08 AM

If you opt for the diesel, you'll want to pay attention to the tranny. The 68RFE that most 6.7s are mated to is definately a weak spot in a towing vehicle. In the model yr you are looking at, an Aisin tranny was available and is a much better option.

If you end up with a 68RFE, most rebuilders have figured out the required fixes but for some reason FCA does not want to adopt them.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:16 AM

Is that 10 000 dry or loaded ? If dry, diesel all day but as some mentioned it depends on how much you are hauling it around. The new gas offerings will do fine with 10 loaded .
I have diesel but yank around 16k.
Also, big advantage not mentioned with the diesel and towing in mountains with considerable weight is the true exhaust brake only offered on diesel.
I have a 6.7 power stroke but would buy any of the big 3!
Old 05-31-2023, 01:13 PM

Default Ram 2500

Thanks for the info. The trailer is 10,000lbs loaded and only used for fairly short trips into the mountains. I am in the process of purchasing this truck today.
Thx again AO folks.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:21 PM

I have a 2020 6.4 2500 dodge for work. Heaviest thing I haul is a 4 horse trailer or a 10000# dump trailer. I’ve probably only had 7000# in the trailer but it hauled it fine. I’m at an elevation of 6600’. Fuel mileage isn’t great but it’s a truck I don’t expect it to be fantastic. I average around 15-16mpg then it drops to around 10-12 towing. The one major criticism I have with the truck is it ha the dial shift electric transmission. If the truck you’re looking at has that I would shy away if you haven’t already purchased it. Cant rock the truck when stuck, can’t shift into neutral without truck running if it won’t start for any reason. It is a fleet truck so definitely a lower trim level. Not a dodge guy so I don’t know how high a trim level is you’re looking at. I know some of the trims are very nice.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I have a 2020 6.4 2500 dodge for work. Heaviest thing I haul is a 4 horse trailer or a 10000# dump trailer. I’ve probably only had 7000# in the trailer but it hauled it fine. I’m at an elevation of 6600’. Fuel mileage isn’t great but it’s a truck I don’t expect it to be fantastic. I average around 15-16mpg then it drops to around 10-12 towing. The one major criticism I have with the truck is it ha the dial shift electric transmission. If the truck you’re looking at has that I would shy away if you haven’t already purchased it. Cant rock the truck when stuck, can’t shift into neutral without truck running if it won’t start for any reason. It is a fleet truck so definitely a lower trim level. Not a dodge guy so I don’t know how high a trim level is you’re looking at. I know some of the trims are very nice.
Ford, to late done deal. So what you are basically saying is don't get stuck
Old 05-31-2023, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Does it have limited slip or locking diffs? That might make a big difference. My work truck doesn’t again as a fleet truck it’s fairly basic with an open diff. The traction control is what really buggers you when you get stuck. Even turning it off with the switch or going into 4low, once the computer senses wheel spin it overrides and turns traction control back on. I’ve actually gotten stuck worse trying to get out than if I would have just given up and not tried at all. One thing I’d like to try is those traction boards and see if that helps.

https://www.xbullauto.com/products/x...SABEgLz9fD_BwE
Old 06-01-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Sounds like the deal was pretty much locked up by the time you were posting your question and likely were looking for a bit of consensus and reassurance - which it seems did not happen and never will when discussing some things.

The good news is the truck, for what you are doing will be fine. The main thing is that you like it and you know that it isn't the last truck you will ever own.

Maybe it isn't the "best" but then again, you have to draw the line somewhere. If you found a truck with all the bells and whistles and in a diesel I bet you would be dropping a bunch more cash.

Be at peace and enjoy it.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:59 AM

I have a 2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
6.4 Hemi
Locking diffs all the way around and 4:10 gears
17MPG on the hiway empty
12 when towing, I tow lots
Put airbags in it as the rear has coils.
Love the truck, had several diesels in the past, and traded off my duramax dually on this truck.
No regrets at all.
The diesel was great when pulling every day, but not when not, heavy, expensive, and wore out parts,tires and such much faster than the gas.
I have 100k on it, and the factory duratrac tires are still at 25%
You wont get that with a heavy diesel.
I liked the power wagon better than the chev hicountry I test drove with the new chev gas 6.6
Mine pulled better, lot more bottom end power, and I love that my power wagon has a winch, and locking diffs in the front and rear.