Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Pretty enlightening wouldn’t you agree?

There was a few who didn’t think a Creedmoor was a suitable deer cartridge let alone a moose cartridge.

I was present for 3 moose kills this fall and 2 deer and one elk. Rifles used (in order) were a 300wsm (moose running at approximately 150yds on first shot hit in the liver, made it about 80yds before stopping, a follow up shot in the lungs dropped it, then a third shot was taken from point blank to dispatch animal. Second one was a moose in the hump at approximately 200yds with a 300 win mag, it dropped on the spot but required a finishing shot from point blank. Next was a moose in the hump at 393yds with a 260rem, dropped in its tracks and also required a follow up shot from point blank range. Then onto deer season, sons buck shot in the neck from about 160yds with a 270 win, buck down right in its tracks, required a follow up shot from point blank to dispatch. Next was an elk, shot in the hind quarter at a ranged 427yds with a 300 win mag, second shot was through the front shoulders dropping the elk, a third shot was taken from point blank to dispatch animal. Last one I was present for was a deer, not ranged but estimated at around 300 yards, 280ai first shot was in the boiler room, deer stopped but did not fall over, second shot again in the boiler room, deer still did not tip over, third shot in the antler because shooter thought shots were hitting low, deer was quartering away so antler was in line with vitals, deer decided to lay down, no further shots were required.

Moral of the story, most of the people I know shoot 300 magnums, but they don’t kill any faster than a 260, 270, or a 280 on moose, deer or elk at ranges of 0-500yds. My son has a late season draw for elk so I will update the story in January when my son kills his elk, see how it matches up with the elk kill I was present for.

2 moose and one deer I watched drop in their tracks this fall, only one was hit by a magnum and as luck would have it, all 3 required a follow up shot from point blank. The only animal out of the six which did not require a follow up shot from point blank was shot by a 280. I’m not gonna say the 280 is the best big game cartridge in the world but.....
But, none were shot with the CM.That's what all this crap is about.

I wonder if it would have done as well under the same circumstances.