Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-15-2022, 10:01 PM

Default Restricted registration real world wait times

I have two handguns waiting at dealers for registration. I know many of you have purchased recently so I would like an idea of how long it has taken to get your registration completed.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 06-16-2022, 10:35 AM
AO Sponsor

Honestly, you could sit there and power call over and over again and it may be hours to get through on the phone, or it may be days... You better be prepared to just keep at it and hope you luck out on the hours side of things but fully expect not even getting a line for a long time.

I just went through it to complete a transfer and was luckier than most, but even still it was frustrating to call over and over again to not even get into the system only to finally get in the line and then have the call drop right away. It took hours...

Don't ask Twisted Canuck how long he tried before getting through finally or he might just pop a gasket! haha!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-16-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I have two handguns waiting at dealers for registration. I know many of you have purchased recently so I would like an idea of how long it has taken to get your registration completed.

Thanks
Bruce
One buddy bought 2 handguns on May 31st (first day of the buying frenzy).
Had them in his hand June 7th, and they had to be shipped to him
Dealer purchases are quicker than transfers as mentioned above.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:10 AM

June 8 ref#, June 16 Transfer approved. Private sale, and a ***** ton of calls, and trickery.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:24 PM

Bought mine on line from a dealer on the 1st, they called me on the 8th to come pick it up.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:43 PM

I bought June 3 and 4 so hoping to have something through the system soon. I am sitting on two thousand rounds of ammo...getting the itchy trigger finger.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:29 PM

At least buying from a retailer, you just have to wait for the paperwork to be processed, you don't personally have to try and call to complete a transfer. That is a special kind of hell right now. I think a week or so is the going wait time in AB currently, but it *will* get processed so patience is needed.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-14-2022, 06:52 PM

Is the transfer any faster if you speak with the cfo? I called a couple of weeks ago using ext. 2502 and she said that everything is in order and I'm in the queue. I completely understand the wait times. But I'm so impatient.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2022, 10:13 AM

Perfect thanks for the info
Old 08-15-2022, 10:54 AM

geez.. I see some ppl here have called and had the transfer happen right then and there.

I've called the CFO and AB CFO and each time I was told "It's still being process.. we are sorry, but there's nothing we can do"

I've emailed a few times and its funny, depending on who responds to your email, you get different info.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:16 PM

Well, the last handgun I will ever buy, a Uberti 1873 "El Patron" ordered at 9:30am June 1, arrived today (All my other purchases arrived in a few weeks). It's smooth and crisp and feels perfect in my hand. Yet I am still sad.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:04 AM

I've been calling the Alberta CFO for close to an hour. Been able to get "in line" 3 times, and 3 times the call was dropped after waiting 5 to 15mins. I'm currently on hold for the 4th time. I wish you could leave a number that would call you back when the next available caller is ready.

Damn!!! My call was dropped again before posting this. This is such absolute bull crap.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:49 AM

I'm not exactly sure what that extension does. Maybe it helps get through for private sales?

When I purchased my restricted from a store a few weeks ago, the guy said I don't have to call in. They do it all on their end. But I called anyway because that is how I've always done it. It didn't take long to get through. The lady I talked to was very nice. She said everything is in order, I'm in the queue, and I'm looking at 6-8 weeks wait time.

I was kind of expecting to have an answer within the day like I usually do, and other people have mentioned getting approved right away. Buy they told me I'm in a long line. Which I completely understand, but I thought that extension was the magic code to get the approval.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:06 AM

Sold one on July 12 still waiting for transfer, seems to be getting slower in June it only took 3 weeks.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:26 AM

Sold a CZ 9mm got ref # June 29th. Waiting....
Old 08-19-2022, 09:33 AM

Bought a 1911 June 17th from RDSC, still waiting.

Also just bought a Glock 17 from them the other day.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:06 AM

So I called this morning and talked to the alberta cfo. They are still processing transfers from June. But she took a look and approved mine while I waited. She was very pleasant and easy to deal with. About an hour later the gun shop called and said it's ready to pick up. I got a case and two locks and I'm heading to pick up my new baby today.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:46 PM

Waiting since June 29th. Guy i sold pistol to got thru today to see what was happening ,the gal said yup your in the line for CFO approval.... it was 8 weeks it's more like 10 weeks now.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:23 AM

I spoke to them yesterday on the phone (my purchase transfer just went in for approval) and they said 6-10 weeks is now the process time.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:58 PM

Call the CFO guys!!

They told me they were still dealing with transfers from June. Then asked if I could hold for a few minutes while she looked at my transfer. And approved me in a few minutes.

The person most people are talking to is an information office, not the CFO.

Oh and the phone number opens at 8:30. So start redialing at 8:29 until it answers. You'll be in the beginning of the queue. My phone call was only a few minutes.

Good luck everyone!

Old 09-02-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Call the CFO guys!!

They told me they were still dealing with transfers from June. Then asked if I could hold for a few minutes while she looked at my transfer. And approved me in a few minutes.

The person most people are talking to is an information office, not the CFO.

Oh and the phone number opens at 8:30. So start redialing at 8:29 until it answers. You'll be in the beginning of the queue. My phone call was only a few minutes.

Good luck everyone!

I did that and they wouldn’t do anything, depends who you get I guess.

LC
Old 09-12-2022, 02:55 PM

Still waiting after getting reference number June 30th. Could someone post the Alberta CFO ph number or PM it please. Would like to try them..... My patience is runnin thin.
Thanks.

Last edited by Ackleyman; 09-12-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Still waiting after getting reference number June 30th. Could someone post the Alberta CFO ph number or PM it please. Would like to try them..... My patience is runnin thin.
Thanks.
I’ve tried the Alberta CFO ext# probably over 100 times, I believe the extension number is 9026, but don’t quote me on that, good luck getting through!
Old 09-12-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
I’ve tried the Alberta CFO ext# probably over 100 times, I believe the extension number is 9026, but don’t quote me on that, good luck getting through!
Thank you very much morinj ! Will give er a try.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:37 AM

Bought aug 8 paperwork showed up yesterday
Old 12-28-2022, 05:12 PM

Still impatiently waiting. Bought August 20th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2022, 11:19 PM

I sold a very nice fellow a handgun August 12th. We are both still waiting for confirmation of transfer. He would like his new toy and I would like it out of my safe!
Old 12-30-2022, 10:23 AM

I ordered 2 in June and the paperwork for those actually came through relatively quick considering everything. I did place another order on August 25 however. That one I just got the paperwork for on Dec 22.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:40 AM

Thanks to those that posted the phone numbers earlier in this thread.

I was able to follow up today on a purchase made August 3rd, and the transfer was approved yesterday. A few days over 5 months!
Old 01-28-2023, 12:42 PM

I bought one on Sept 9, paperwork started that day and today, I finally received my transfer notification. 4 1/2 months or 141 days or 100 business days minus stats ( I think there was 5 but maybe more with the government ) so say close to 95 business days...
Those that are still waiting keep your chin up and think positive. The transfers are still going through..... however at a incredibly slow rate IMO, but here's hoping that everyone gets theirs soon .