Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 02:46 PM

Default Non-Resident Canadian Hunter with Questions

Hello All,
I am new to this forum, in fact this is my first post. I'll apologize now because I anticipate this being a rather lengthy post.

I have friend who lives in Alberta and we have been trying to organize an elk hunt for a few years now. If things hold out (Covid wise) and travel is not an issue I am looking at going there at the end of August 2022. As a result I am looking to inform myself on all that I should know on (non-resident Canadian) Alberta elk hunting.
My friend is originally from Ontario and though he has been living in Alberta for quite some time he too is still not 100% sure of all the ins and outs of sponsoring a guest and what my requirements would be. After doing a little poking around I found this forum. I thought perhaps I might be able to get some first hand info from the folks who lived and hunted there, their whole lives. So with all that being said I figured I'll just start firing off some of my questions with the hopes that some of you may be willing to help me out.

Question #1
I am aware that I will need a sponsor/hunter host, so we have that sorted as my friend will be doing that. I have also applied for (and received) my WIN card. Two things that I am needing clarification on is the "Wildlife Certificate" and the "Archery Permit". Do either of these require me taking a course prior to arriving in Alberta or are these simply over the counter permits. Of course, I know I would also need to buy a license/tag to hunt elk.

Question #2
We are looking at the Grand Prairie area, (wmu's 357,358,359) still undecided at this point. My main concern is, am I able to get an over the counter archery tag for elk or are these draw locations? Also is there a multi species (tag package) available for non-residents or do I need to buy each tag separately?

Question #3
On the topic of area I'm assuming we will be able to find a fair bit of crown land in those areas but that is only an assumption. Is there the possibility of doing a backcountry hunt on crown land in the Grand Prairie area. I apologies if that seems like a silly question.

Question #4
This is a simple one, when is the best time to hunt the rut for elk?

These are some of my main questions, I'm sure I will have at least 100 more. Lol. I apologies for the (very long) first post. I hope I have posted these questions in the right place as well. I haven't used a forum (of any kind) in a long time, looking forward to hopefully getting some great feedback and maybe making a few good connections with the member of this forum. Also, please feel free to make suggestions, recommendations and just some general advice, all would be appreciated.

Lex
Old 12-05-2021, 04:06 PM

1 - otc, no courses
2 - otc, for antlered elk. 3 point minimum. No packages, you have to check the regs for tag availably for each species/sex and buy separately
3 - sure, but the elk know that too. There will be camps in every available spot from August till November.
4 - 1st week of sept. Archery from aug 25- sept 16. On sept 17 general season opens (aka gun season) and it’s a war zone. The elk will hide on private no-hunting land and only move well after dark, even in archery season, but the odd one slips up or gets bumped out until the gun shots start. After that almost all elk are killed on private land by those who have exclusive permission.

Hate to be the bad news bear, but unless your friend has some special permission, or has patterned the elk in deep bush for many years, and is an expert caller, it’s kind of a waste of your time. Every eastern hunter ive ever ran into talks about wanting to get an elk, and thousands migrate up that way to burn gas, scare the elk and get skunked every year. Probably the hardest hunted animal in Alberta.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:00 PM

Well, 3Blade I appreciate the info, thank you very much. Also your candid take on overall chances. My buddy does have a few permissions on private land so that may have to be the way we go. Was hoping for a backpack hunt but who knows perhaps we can camp out on the private land. Again, thank you 3Blade for the info, much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:35 PM

Click on the top of this page....where it says Alberta Outdoorsman....you will get a page that has all the regs....click on the hunting one for that info.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:29 PM

Old 12-06-2021, 07:21 PM

Tons of crown land in that area and lots of game. If you know how to hunt the elk and hunt out of your pack like your planning get away from the roads and people you will do well.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Tons of crown land in that area and lots of game. If you know how to hunt the elk and hunt out of your pack like your planning get away from the roads and people you will do well.
X2

Lots of areas to find elk in Alberta and if you know how to call and work at it. It’s not to hard to find a elk.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

When I lived in Saskatchewan we had two guys come visit from Quebec to hunt and man the two weeks they spent hard at it everyday for them was Xmas.
Lots of phone calls etc more so towards their departure to come out.

Hope you have a hunt of a lifetime and enjoy the province.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2021, 07:40 AM

I am not an elk hunter so take this for what it is.

I do have a friend that lives in 357 and is a successful elk hunter. His success is from hunting both private and public land in his area. So yes there is elk in the area and there is hunters that are consistently successful. Just like any species or area success will vary depending on the hunters knowledge of the area and animals habit’s

So in my opinion if you are coming out to hunt elk for the first time in an area you don’t know you are going to be relying on the knowledge your hunter host has regarding the hunt/species. So if you are going hunting with someone who is also green to the area and elk realize it maybe an adventure where you get to experience elk hunting but the odds of success maybe low

If putting a tag on an elk is a huge priority it is likely going to depend on your hosts skills and knowledge of the area.

So if you are happy to just experience elk hunting and have an adventure with your friend I say giver a go. But if successfully tagging an elk is going to make or break your experience assess the knowledge of your host because you are going to be winging it otherwise

The rest of your questions are regs related so read them over and your host should be able to help fill in the blanks

That is my two cents but I guess theses days you can round it up to a nickel lol
Old 12-07-2021, 08:47 AM

Congratulation on joining The Forum, good on you for doing lots of research there's so many people that just asked for spots. there's lots of elk in Alberta I would say the best time to hunt them with archery would be the 10 days leading up to the rifle season if you can do some pre scouting get some trail cameras up get your buddy to do some scouting work you'd have a good chance practice your calling all winter good luck, also watch lots of YouTube calling I like elk101

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Welcome to the forum!

You have chosen a well hunted area. My experience has been to secure some private land. Yes, there is crown land but ive met guys from as far south as Milk River there. It's not a secret. Your hunter host should be door knocking now.

I hope this works out for you. Alberta is the gem for hunting in my opinion. Just follow the regulations to make sure you cover all your bases. Earlier the better. And tell your hunter host he should be practicing his chirping....you will need that skill.lol

For your personal well being, always be in shape if you hit the hills. It can be strenuous packing. The closer you hunt to the Peace River, the more up and down the land gets. Good stretching and some decent cardio will increase your chances as many avoid the hills in favour of an "easier" elk.......if you can get deep and away from older guys like me, you will think you are in paradise......lol

Just good boots with ankle support and stay away from Sitka gear or EVERYONE will know you are a foreigner.....😅😅😅😅😅