Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 10:13 AM

Default 6000 photos on my game camera

Wifey bought me a game cam a couple years ago (it’s a stealth cam STC-XV4WF)
I finally decided to set it up in front of a mock scrape I made. Well it got windy and the little bit of movement sure did trigger a lot of pics.

There must be something in the settings to make it less sensitive?
I’m a bit of a technophobe really so…..
Old 12-04-2021, 10:51 AM

Most of them do have a sensitivity setting, high, med and low sensitivity. However, even on low large branches will affect them. You can also set the trigger time to 10 seconds, 1 minute, and hour etc. If you are in a windy spot with no option to get more space you can reduce the picture frequency but you do risk missing animals.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:53 AM

Yes there probably is, you might also be able to set it to take photos less often. I have mine set to take a photo, then an 8 second video, then not be triggered for another 2 minutes. Even with this setting I filled a 30some gig SD card in a couple weeks one time. I put it out just before the leaves grew on the trees so it didn’t look like there was any branches in the way but once it had leaves on it, it triggered the camera every 2 minutes.

What brand or model is it?
Old 12-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Banned

Clean the area in front of your camera for branches, grasses etc
Bring a little hand saw when you sent up your cams
Old 12-04-2021, 11:19 AM
Gone Hunting

Could you make another fake scrape in an area with less branches or whatever is triggering the camera?

The number does seem extreme even for windy weather.

Even after months in place I never get numbers like that. And I do get shots of branches moving in the wind, and bats at night, I've even got shots of falling leaves but never numbers like that.

Maybe because I set my cameras to three shot bursts with a 10 second delay between bursts.

I figure a fast moving animal should get caught by at least one of the three shots and clear the scene in less then ten seconds. That way I don't get a hundred shots of the same animal.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2021, 11:40 AM

We get a ton of wind down south here. I've found I get less wind pics when it's on a fence post or something solid. Lots of times the tree itself is moving and setting off the camera . But definitely want to try and make sure branches and grass are cleared as much as possible
Old 12-04-2021, 11:46 AM

Thats a lot of pictures on one chip, I only put a 16 to 32 GB chip in my cameras, just in case my camera grows legs, the 32Gb chip only costs 20 to 30, so 130 if my camera grows legs