Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-03-2021, 11:33 AM
AO Sponsor

Default FHA Report - Dec 3 - 2021

https://www.furharvesters.com/pdf/fo...update2022.pdf

Holy cow!!!! I think i beat Davey to it again!!!!!

🤣

Fur Harvesters Auction Inc.
1867 Bond Street North Bay, Ontario P1B 8K6 Canada Tel.: (705) 495-4688 Fax.: (705) 495-3099 www.furharvesters.com
December 3, 2021
This coming season seems to have certain country collectors (NOT ALL) bowing out, offering much less, cherry picking and not wanting lower grades and or certain species. This is understandable considering what this industry has been through the past few years and the continued struggle in navigating the global pandemic. This company as it stands now is the last remaining international wild fur auction facility on this continent. Fur Harvesters is not ONE dimensional depending on one company to buy. We are a very diverse multi-dimensional company with hundreds upon hundreds of active accounts around the world.
Over a year ago Canada Goose broke the news to the world that they were moving away from trimming some of their line with coyotes. This news was not what anyone in our circle liked to hear. However, it will be of interest to all those that trap and hunt coyotes that our April & July 2021 auction results proved the importance of being multi-dimensional. We offered over 50,000 western coyotes and sold 95% for strong prices. With over a hundred buyers registered for our July auction, 32 actively bid on coyotes with 26 being successful in purchasing lots, none of which went to Canada Goose. The coyotes we sold were shipped to manufacturers on three continents.
We are not a source for one buyer; we are the source where the world comes to buy.
Since 1947 the wild fur auction business has been here in North Bay, Ontario, Canada. Through good times, great times, poor times, sad times and times of uncertainty as now, we remain here during it all. Last season this company made money and did quite well despite all that’s going on.
We are not blowing sunshine where it does not belong and are prepared for another year of uncertainty. This means we will do exactly as we have always done to try to get as much competition in the room as possible come auction time. All sales results can be found on our website.
We all have our reasons for trapping and those who have been in it for years understand the real commitment true trappers have to this profession.
Wishing you all a healthy season and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS. Respectfully
Mark Downey
Chief Executive Officer Fur Harvesters Auction Inc.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:39 PM

Just my opinion but don’t sell out early to fur buyers when the auctions is what dictates their pricing. If they are low balling prices now before the auction even happens what do you have to loose once we see what the auction prices are.

I believe it’s a little too early for the gfw and alike dooms day talk.

I like that fur harvesters is addressing the fur buyers in that statement. I think it’s a bit of a game to see who can get the cheapest fur first.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:24 AM
AO Sponsor

Most certainly wait til China opens up from Corvid lockdown, and undoubtably they will open up sooner than later with the Olympics coming their way.

Hopefully they just follow India's leading and do what India did!!! If you don't know, then I most certainly do encourage you to change your news platforms!!! Rember back in April or June, India was a corvid wreck? Then they fixed themselves and problem solved.

Anyways, my advice... DO NOT SELL EARLY!!! Wait and see at this point. Let China open up and see if there are renewed orders.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Fha

Another factor to watch is Biden will probably add sanctions to Russia if they keep doing war games in Ukraine and continue to delay them at auctions.
When will the negative factors end?
Old 12-05-2021, 11:29 PM

What sanctions against Russia. Don’t they just get their allies to buy for them.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:27 AM

Trapper Mike, even if they get allies/agents to buy for them, much like our online auctions now. The buyers appear to be very timid and do not stick their necks out on high prices for best fur.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:58 PM

Just saying, I don’t think that sanctions are effecting the prices as much as the China situation. If things open up so they can have people at the Winter Olympics and start making money. We will probably see more Chinese buyers willing to pay more for our fur.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:54 AM

Good point, people standing in snow watching olympic events need fur to stay warm. It will also draw attention to latest fashions for the ladies.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:13 AM
AO Sponsor

I chatted with one very knowledgeable source the other day about the China lockdown, he claimed it was likely that only areas of olympics etc will be opened and rest of country will stay locked down??? I sure hope he is wrong and they get to work aka parka trimming, and shopping grand scale. We need them to burn thru all them fricking CG knock off parkas! And keep buying coyote fur.

Russia is already all sanctioned up, with them populating the Ukraine border with their personnel and armour war seems imminent, never good for the fur business. Russia is very teeny in North American wild fur these past years, ever since they took the Crimea and were slapped with sanctions and their Rouble devalued. The little people became more concerned with paying the heating bill and keeping food on the table than buying a new fur coat
Old 01-07-2022, 10:36 PM

Default Jan 7 Market Update - FHA

Fur Harvesters Auction Inc 2022 Market Update
Since our last market update we have had greatly increased interest, with calls coming in from overseas buyers wanting marten (sables). All have been advised that no sables will be offered ahead of our scheduled March 2022 auction. The Russian sable auction last month saw increased levels over last season and it seems that Canadian sables are in even more demand. We are expecting a shorter catch than traditional years and this will help raise price levels further.
Buyers are requesting quality shearing beaver, and of course castoreum continues to sell at historical levels. Demand for muskrats is solid.
Interest in Canadian/Alaskan lynx is growing and in recent weeks we have refused sales stating that these goods will only be available at our March 2022 auction. As well, bobcat/lynx cats are in demand and also will not be offered until March.
This is the news for now on what has transpired since early December and with that we thank you all for your support of FHA and wish you a Happy Healthy 2022.
Respectfully,
Mark Downey
Chief Executive Officer Fur Harvesters Auction Inc.
1867 Bond Street North Bay, Ontario P1B 8K6 Canada Tel.: (705) 495-4688 Fax.: (705) 495-3099 www.furharvesters.com
January 7, 2022
2022 AUctIon ScHedUle
lASt ReceIVInG dAteS
January 16, 2022 April 17, 2022
SAle dAteS
March 24 - 28, 2022 June 23 - 27, 2022
Sales will be held in north Bay, canada.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:56 PM
AO Sponsor

Hopefully Russia is simply on tge Ukraine border as a negotiation tactic and arent actually planing to invade. As an industry, we need less sanctions onRussia, notmore.

But i suspect the 💩 is gonna hit the fan!
Old 01-08-2022, 11:54 AM

Latest FHA update looks good for our marten, hope it also drags fisher up to some decent prices. Appears rats may be in demand and China may still be buying coyote. Glad to see lynx/bobcat also showing promise.