Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2021, 08:23 AM

I use light for caliber monometal bullets, and I like well over 2000fps at impact, preferably closer to 2500fps. I have had the .308" TSX expand to .800" out of my 300RUM. My go to 7mmstw load was the 140TTSX at 3500fps, but my current rifle shoots the 150TTSX at 3400fps, a little better.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:46 AM

A while back when I was nerding out over bullet casting I spent a while digging through a 20 year old sand backstop at the local range. I found cores and jackets separated, bullets bent and squished every which way but the one bullet that was always the same was Barnes tsx. I could have had a lineup of 10 or so of them and every single one had perfect 4 petals and no deformations. Since then Barnes is always my go to for any application where penetration is needed.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-04-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
A while back when I was nerding out over bullet casting I spent a while digging through a 20 year old sand backstop at the local range. I found cores and jackets separated, bullets bent and squished every which way but the one bullet that was always the same was Barnes tsx. I could have had a lineup of 10 or so of them and every single one had perfect 4 petals and no deformations. Since then Barnes is always my go to for any application where penetration is needed.
Not really much more to say than that right there.

There are lots and lots of great bullets out there for hunting, but dang them Barnes really, really work well.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:03 PM

Fantastic pics and info here. To the OP .. fantastic buck / rifle and what a game trail he was on!
Old 12-04-2021, 01:18 PM

I've had good luck with the Barnes as well, and always have been impressed by their performance. It's funny when you read reviews though in states that require the use of lead-free ammo. They all seem to hate Barnes and say they're garbage liberal bullets lol.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I've had good luck with the Barnes as well, and always have been impressed by their performance. It's funny when you read reviews though in states that require the use of lead-free ammo. They all seem to hate Barnes and say they're garbage liberal bullets lol.
That’s just the old boy club that would rather shoot a SST or a Nosler offering.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Same here, but Rem SPS 7-08 and 140g TTSX,
But my buck was just too close, he came out right beside my tower stand, 20 yds.
First shot behind the elbow he was labouring, so I gave him another, then a 3rd in the neck that dropped him.
One shot would have done the job but would have taken a few minutes I feared.

The 2 in the chest were 3” apart, entry as expected, and exits were finger size.
So expansion was near zero, good or bad?

TBark
Exit diameter is often not indicative of bullet expansion. How did the wound channel look inside?
Old 12-05-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
But my buck was just too close, he came out right beside my tower stand, 20 yds.
First shot behind the elbow he was labouring, so I gave him another, then a 3rd in the neck that dropped him.

The 2 in the chest were 3” apart, entry as expected, and exits were finger size.

TBark
I had a similar experience with my 3030 and barnes tsx. 15 yard shot from my stand, finger size exit would in a deer.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
Exit diameter is often not indicative of bullet expansion. How did the wound channel look inside?
Exactly! The bullet often expands and tears up the vitals, then slows down and leaves a small exit wound. The size of the exit wound doesn't always represent the damage to the vitals.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly! The bullet often expands and tears up the vitals, then slows down and leaves a small exit wound. The size of the exit wound doesn't always represent the damage to the vitals.
My doe this year is a perfect example. Entrance hit a rib causing 3 inch entrance wound and blasting a chunk of bone into the guts. Bullet carried on taking out the bottom half of the heart and out the other side with a loonie size exit. 300win mag 180gr tsx. (Was moose hunting when I decided to take my doe)

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:

TBark
What did the lungs look like when you opened him up?
Cat
Old 12-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Couldn’t recall, some damage, it was low light gutting, quad lights.
Just going by the ribs afterwards.

I don’t doubt the Barnes, heck I still have 40 or so of the old XLC’s yet to use.

TBark
Old 12-05-2021, 11:54 AM

My collection of Barnes bullets recovered from game. Flesh and bone is really hard on bullets. Much more devastating than sand or soil. Barnes gets a bad rap sometimes, but in my experience their benefits far outweigh any perceived downside.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 12-05-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:21 PM

You know a big part of any negative Barnes stories have two common themes:

A) Not using TSX or TTSX (the original iterations had issues)

B) Insufficient velocity for proper expansion (they absolutely require a base level velocity to perform properly)

That’s been my opinion based on many many forums.

All my hunting crew are using em and experiencing the same lethal performance my son and I have had. I think it was Elk11 who used the term red mist. That sums up our experiences best.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:51 PM

Shooting Barnes bullets is about more than weight retention. It's about the gains!

I recovered this from a moose in the far shoulder and picked up a few tenths of a grain along the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big gains.jpg (73.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-05-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Did you try different powders? Different bullet weights? And seating depth can make a big difference.

Nope I have only used one powder and primer combo.

I only have used 160 grain bullets so far.

I have varied the seating depth but about 30 thou, but have not found a node. I thought I found a node, but when I tested it again it was random.

Im using rl22 and CCI 250 primers. I have some imr 4831 and federal 215m primers I can try. I’m just not sure if I want to.

The rifle loves hornady bullets and it is not fussy with those. Interlock in any weight and sst have been winners with both powders. So I have considered trying their interbond as an alternative.

Biggest obstacle for me is I live in Calgary, so to get out to my shooting location takes a decent amount of effort. If it was a short drive it’s a different conversation.

The good news is I have time. I want a deep penetrating bullet for shooting elk and moose, and I’m not hunting those anytime soon. So I can toy around with bullets and combinations in the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post

I have varied the seating depth but about 30 thou, but have not found a node. I thought I found a node, but when I tested it again it was random.

Im using rl22 and CCI 250 primers. I have some imr 4831 and federal 215m primers I can try. I’m just not sure if I want to.

The rifle loves hornady bullets and it is not fussy with those. Interlock in any weight and sst have been winners with both powders. So I have considered trying their interbond as an alternative.

Biggest obstacle for me is I live in Calgary, so to get out to my shooting location takes a decent amount of effort. If it was a short drive it’s a different conversation.

The good news is I have time. I want a deep penetrating bullet for shooting elk and moose, and I’m not hunting those anytime soon. So I can toy around with bullets and combinations in the interim.

160gr is too heavy for the 7mm Rem Mag.

It’ll work at closer distances, but why not drop a few weight classes and really drive those bullets at the speeds they should be.

I shoot 120gr TTSX. 140gr would work too.

I’m in the process of switching to the 145gr LRX. Better BC, less wind drift, less drop and they expand down to a lower velocity than the TTSX/TSX’s

Cabelas finally has stock of them so I bought 3 boxes yesterday to go along with the 2 boxes I have in the cabinet. I’ll be good for years once I find the right load.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:

If you used only one bullet weight, one powder, one primer, and you didn’t vary your seating depth a whole lot, you haven’t given the Accubond much of a chance. I would seat them around .010" off of the lands if they fit the magazine, and try the 215s, and see what happens. If you are going to try the TTSX start with the 140gr seated .050" off of the lands.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
If you used only one bullet weight, one powder, one primer, and you didn’t vary your seating depth a whole lot, you haven’t given the Accubond much of a chance. I would seat them around .010" off of the lands if they fit the magazine, and try the 215s, and see what happens. If you are going to try the TTSX start with the 140gr seated .050" off of the lands.

It’s a tikka so the magazine is restricting my OAL. I can safely make the OAL 3.330; and my testing was done in the 3.300-3.330 range.

I’ll try the other combo’s and see what happens. I have time!

I’m going to give the ttsx as try. DK & EH I’ll keep what you have said in mind, I do think the 140 will be more than enough bullet for elk and moose.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:13 PM

I shoot accubonds in a couple of rifles with very good results. Mine end up usually around .050 off the lands
Old 12-05-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
It’s a tikka so the magazine is restricting my OAL. I can safely make the OAL 3.330; and my testing was done in the 3.300-3.330 range.

I’ll try the other combo’s and see what happens. I have time!

I’m going to give the ttsx as try. DK & EH I’ll keep what you have said in mind, I do think the 140 will be more than enough bullet for elk and moose.

Any TSX's or TTSX's I have loaded for (regardless of caliber or cartridge) seem to group best when seated really deep, some as deep as .090 or more off the lands!
Cat
Old 12-07-2021, 10:23 PM

I have ran tsx & ttsx in my 257wby & 7mm rem. Tremendous bullets all one shot kills & I have never recovered a bullet. I hunt with a group of guys that all end up using my 257wby with 100grn ttsx hand loads. I can’t count how many 1 shot flattening kills that combo has made. Deer, elk & moose.

When handloading these roads playing with seating depth is key. I have always found these bullets to like a “jump” to the lands for the most accurate load. Cannot go wrong with these bullets and high FPS calibers
Old 12-08-2021, 08:35 AM

130gr TSX from a bull moose. 22" barrel .308 Win, don't know MV but its pushed by 44.5gr of Benchmark. 60 m

150gr TTSX from a whitetail buck. Frontal shot, recovered in the pelvis. From a 18.5" barrel .308, 45gr Varget, MV about 2650fps. 80m

Old 12-08-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You know a big part of any negative Barnes stories have two common themes:

A) Not using TSX or TTSX (the original iterations had issues)

B) Insufficient velocity for proper expansion (they absolutely require a base level velocity to perform properly)

That’s been my opinion based on many many forums.

All my hunting crew are using em and experiencing the same lethal performance my son and I have had. I think it was Elk11 who used the term red mist. That sums up our experiences best.
I also strongly believe that the bullets are getting the blame for game lost due to lousy shot placement. My experience with TTSX and more recently the LRX has been excellent.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I also strongly believe that the bullets are getting the blame for game lost due to lousy shot placement.
This explains most bullet 'failure'. The remaining % is from using bullets for purposes outside of their specific design parameters and their intended use window..TTSX and other monumental bullets have greatly enlarged that window.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:42 AM

Ttsx is a great Bullet
Old 12-09-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I also strongly believe that the bullets are getting the blame for game lost due to lousy shot placement. My experience with TTSX and more recently the LRX has been excellent.
Shooter failure vs. Bullet failure.

The shot doesn’t go where it should = shooter failure
The wrong bullet is used = shooter failure
The chosen bullet is used outside of design limitations = shooter failure

As an wise man said one time.
“At what point in the animals death do you figure the bullet failed?”

There are no absolutes
Old 12-09-2021, 09:33 AM

Interestingly enough, I used a certain cup and core hunting g bullet for many years that many said continually failed - it broke up and lost touch of its weight. Yet these bullets were responsible for many, many instantat kills

Nowadays we have some hunters advocating Match bullets and cup and core bullets like Bergers that do exactly that!
I have been killing animals for well over 50 years now and have only witnessed two bullet failures .
One was explained as too Frangible on a slight raking shot. The animal was recovered after being shot with a different rifle .
The other one ? There is no explanation.
A popular 7mm 145 grain bullet from a .280 that was a clear ,slight frontal shot at less than 150 yards . The bullet split in two , one piece traveled the length of the animal between the hide and flank , exited and broke the left hock.The other went on in the opposite direction. That buck was also recovered

after a lengthy tracking job and shot with a different rifle.
I have no doubt if I eas using my normal Barnes bullets I usually shoot , that would not have happened .
At the same time , I doubt if that shot could be replicated with the same 145 grain bullet out of that 280 .

The point is, I doubted my shooting of the deer until we recovered it. However I have been on several other huntsxwhere the ammo was blamed where in the end, it was found to be a bad shot that almost lost the animal.
Cat
Old 12-09-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:

TBark
That exit size is indicative of all the Barnes exits I have seen, on my own kills and others from anywhere from 24 yards to over 370 yards.
If a broadside, about a finger sized ( 5/8 to 3/4" holes) , no animals going far if at all.
Cat
Old 12-09-2021, 02:20 PM

Lots of reassurance here that I made the right decision in bullet choice. I appreciate the compliments, positive comments and shared knowledge! Great stuff!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend