Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2021, 01:51 PM

Default Cow Elk Herds in 304

I've drawn an antlerless elk tag in 304, and have been hunting the north end of the Porcupine Hills for the most part so far, but I have permission on some grazing leases and deeded lands in December. Wondering if anyone has spotted any herds in the area recently?
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2021, 07:40 AM

With the type of weather southern AB has right now , I don’t expect to the elk herding up and moving like they normally do, we need snow in the mountains and in the foothills , and it to be a -20 snap for a week, that’s when you will see the herds moving. Right now they will be tucked away in the valleys and bowls , with the wind we have been having in the south they won’t be on ridge lines or open faces that is from my previous experience.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:48 PM

I was in 304 on the 30th and saw a herd of cow elk 80 Strong ( a few spikes too). I ran into three other hunters that shot five cows.

Not sure who they were or how they had so many tags but they Spooked the Heard before I could get a clean shot at the bull.

Keep looking you’ll find them good luck!
Old 12-05-2021, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolf View Post
I was in 304 on the 30th and saw a herd of cow elk 80 Strong ( a few spikes too). I ran into three other hunters that shot five cows.

Not sure who they were or how they had so many tags but they Spooked the Heard before I could get a clean shot at the bull.

Keep looking you’ll find them good luck!

Apply as a group up to 4 tags. One other buddy gets drawn.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:00 PM

Took a detour on our way back from Calgary . Seen a truck with 2 cows down....... Except there were also 2 C/O trucks in the field with him. Not sure the situation
Old 12-05-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Apply as a group up to 4 tags. One other buddy gets drawn.
I never thought about a group tag.

Question about the group tag, say there’s a group of four hunters and The group draws cow elk can one hunter shoot all four elk, or is each hunter limited to killing 1 animal only?
Old 12-05-2021, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolf View Post
I never thought about a group tag.

Question about the group tag, say there’s a group of four hunters and The group draws cow elk can one hunter shoot all four elk, or is each hunter limited to killing 1 animal only?
You each get a tag.
Nobody else can shoot.
Exception being a partner tag. No additional tag, but your partner who you have to be with , can shoot your animal. I believe this was made so you could take a youngster with you. Maybe, maybe not.
You will have to check the regs to see which species partner tags are available for.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:44 PM

If you got drawn for cow elk you get two tags in 304. Three hunters times three cow draws equals six elk. If there was spikes with them what bull were you gonna shoot?
Old 12-06-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy9525 View Post
If you got drawn for cow elk you get two tags in 304. Three hunters times three cow draws equals six elk. If there was spikes with them what bull were you gonna shoot?
Makes sense I drew two cow elk tags in 212 this January. I didn’t know they were giving away double tags in 304.

Since ya asked, When I found the heard half of them were in the trees the other in adjacent field. I was glassing 800 yards away looking for a shooter, before I made my approach. I want to find a shooter without spooking the herd.

But before my plan came to fruition another hunter spooked him out of the glades and they started moving. At that point I could see the entire group, and confirmed no shooters.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
You each get a tag.
Nobody else can shoot.
Exception being a partner tag. No additional tag, but your partner who you have to be with , can shoot your animal. I believe this was made so you could take a youngster with you. Maybe, maybe not.
You will have to check the regs to see which species partner tags are available for.
Thanks for feedback. If I ever decide to get a group tag or partner tag I’ll be sure to dive into the regs before.