Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 10:24 AM

Default Wainwright

We’re heading up to Wainwright for the first hunt this year. It’s my first year going out there for it, so i wonder if there’s any tips guys can provide.
I’ll make sure I’ve got shovels and straps and a come-along in case we get stuck (or if we come across other hunters stuck)… i understand registration starts at 6am every morning - is there a benefit to being much earlier than that? For guys that live in the area, is there much snow up there yet?
Are there areas better than others? I’m doing my best scouting on Google earth, but tips from experienced guys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
We’re heading up to Wainwright for the first hunt this year. It’s my first year going out there for it, so i wonder if there’s any tips guys can provide.
I’ll make sure I’ve got shovels and straps and a come-along in case we get stuck (or if we come across other hunters stuck)… i understand registration starts at 6am every morning - is there a benefit to being much earlier than that? For guys that live in the area, is there much snow up there yet?
Are there areas better than others? I’m doing my best scouting on Google earth, but tips from experienced guys would be greatly appreciated.
Google is ok, but not knowing the training schedule, you won’t know what areas are open or closed, that and the range areas are always off limits.

Going early doesn’t gain you anything, other than being early,

There are no absolutes
Old 11-20-2021, 11:24 AM

Later hunts the deer are in the heavier bush, further from roads and you rarely see them during daylight out in the open. Get into the river valley and hunt the thicker bush away from the main trails. Also, calling and rattling still work great this time of year so find a good spot, put one guy about 60 yards up and start making doe calls, with light rattling, maybe a little tending grunts thrown in. They will come find you, which is way easier than trying to find them.

Watch closely when travelling on non-main road trails. There are a lot of tank traps that will hang a standard pickup on the front and rear bumpers, A real SOB to get out of. Short wheel base like a Landcruiser you can drive down in and out, but a winch is still a good idea if you are going booney bashing. The military will not help recover stuck vehicles.

If you have a 3-5 guys, pushing push slowly is still a very effective tactic.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:21 PM

I've been out there a few times in the muzzloader season many years ago. So I don't know if it's changed. But you can't start hunting until legal light anyways. The wardens actually gave us a time when we could actually get in our vehicles and go hunting. You will receive a map of where you can and can't go and that can change from year to year. Expect more snow by then and be prepared, I got stuck once and the warden just watched me get unstuck and then continued on his way. If you're going out for the first week, animals are less spooked than they will be after the 4 weekend onslaught.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:15 AM
Banned

If you've never been there before, its hard to explain and give advice
The deer can be anywhere
Prepare to beat up your truck and to do a bit of walking
There is good deer in there, but they arent hiding behind every tree
Google maps research wont help here( its a military base, so its not as accurate as it may appear)
Old 11-22-2021, 01:16 PM

Default Atv?

Can you use quads there?

More so for game retrieval.

Thanks
Tony
Old 11-22-2021, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Can you use quads there?

More so for game retrieval.

Thanks
Tony
Nope
Old 11-23-2021, 12:42 PM

Everything thing you need to know about the Camp Wainwright 2021 hunt is in this link. As a hunter you should have had an email sent to you about what you need to do prior to arrival. ie print and sign your waiver.

Environment and Parks > My Wild Alberta > Hunting > Hunting Draws > Camp Wainwright Ungulate Hunt

If you are planning to bring a non hunter helper you must have had them preregistered by November 15th.

Good Luck on your hunt.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:28 PM

The info sent out should answer most questions.

Check station opens at 0600 so any earlier you are sitting in a parking lot looking at yourself and then probably told to park somewhere else. IF at 0600 bring coffee. Black is preferred.

Due to social distancing there won't be much things to look at so no reason to get there too early but make sure you are there before the first brief or you will have to wait for the next scheduled brief that is listed in the info package. No others briefings then listed in info.

If you didn't register your NH then they aren't hunting with you.

Expect to show some form of vaccination as of this moment.

It's all good deer country. Just pick habitat that you like or want to hunt. Heavy cover or sand dunes.

You can get around just fine right now besides a few drifts but the Mil Vehs are busting those up good. Unless you aren't as wide as a LAV.

They are training hard right now so I don't expect much to be standing around in those areas.

Have fun and bring coffee..especially Saturday mornings

S
Old 11-23-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
The info sent out should answer most questions.

Check station opens at 0600 so any earlier you are sitting in a parking lot looking at yourself and then probably told to park somewhere else. IF at 0600 bring coffee. Black is preferred.

Due to social distancing there won't be much things to look at so no reason to get there too early but make sure you are there before the first brief or you will have to wait for the next scheduled brief that is listed in the info package. No others briefings then listed in info.

If you didn't register your NH then they aren't hunting with you.

Expect to show some form of vaccination as of this moment.

It's all good deer country. Just pick habitat that you like or want to hunt. Heavy cover or sand dunes.

You can get around just fine right now besides a few drifts but the Mil Vehs are busting those up good. Unless you aren't as wide as a LAV.

They are training hard right now so I don't expect much to be standing around in those areas.

Have fun and bring coffee..especially Saturday mornings

S
Bolded part what a joke. People drawing tags back in the summer, using years of priority only to be denied that hunt arbitrarily months later.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Bolded part what a joke. People drawing tags back in the summer, using years of priority only to be denied that hunt arbitrarily months later.
I guess you would have preferred they cancelled instead?
Old 11-23-2021, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
If you couldn’t see this being a requirement, you must be living under a rock
Old 11-23-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I guess you would have preferred they cancelled instead?
Opposed to burning priority and having goal posts moved (like everything covid)

Yes.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
If you couldn’t see this being a requirement, you must be living under a rock
Yes because hunting is like filling rogers place lol i might be living under a rock but my head isn't filled with them....
Old 11-23-2021, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes because hunting is like filling rogers place lol i might be living under a rock but my head isn't filled with them....
Have you been to an orientation at wainwright?
Old 11-23-2021, 06:42 PM
Banned

It’s an active military base… this should be no surprise
Old 11-23-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Opposed to burning priority and having goal posts moved (like everything covid)

Yes.
So you want the other 249 to give up their hunt due to your choice? Nice

Last edited by shedcrazy; 11-23-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
So you want the other 249 to give up their hunt due to your choice? Nice
Wish I could have contacted you by pm....

I emailed Wainwright for Covid access requirements weeks ago, no answer as of today.

I'm unvaccinated due to a medical condition and doctors' recommendation.
I learned the hard way that there is no such thing as a medical exemption under federal and provincial guidelines....

Now I am leaving my hunting partner to go alone with the additional cost and effort to do this hunt as a single person.
And I am out of 15 points, probably will never hunt the base again with the wait times continuing to grow.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-23-2021, 08:30 PM

It’s still possible to go with a negative test according to Alberta restrictions. What’s funny is in a thread along time ago someone predicted mandatory vaccines for COVID protocols for wainwright but people scoffed and thought no way. I forget thread title but was definitely mentioned.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Wish I could have contacted you by pm....

I emailed Wainwright for Covid access requirements weeks ago, no answer as of today.

I'm unvaccinated due to a medical condition and doctors' recommendation.
I learned the hard way that there is no such thing as a medical exemption under federal and provincial guidelines....

Now I am leaving my hunting partner to go alone with the additional cost and effort to do this hunt as a single person.
And I am out of 15 points, probably will never hunt the base again with the wait times continuing to grow.
I am a biologist not in public health nor the maker of public health regulations. So no PM needed. I would talk to AHS and document it.

Applying during a pandemic has it’s risk and risk management should be taken is my only advice on that.

Now back to taking about how bad the trophy quality is 😂
Old 11-23-2021, 09:34 PM

Hunt starts Dec 2nd? Still time to go get your shot… the Johnson one is just a single

LC
Old 11-23-2021, 09:39 PM

Shed, all I tried to pm for was contact info to the appropriate person with Wainwright. Until now, there has been no reply to the base hunt email..

However, since I first posted here, an email came in from the Camp.

Covid pass OR a Negative covid test to access the base.

"From wrtbasehunt@forces.gc.ca

Proof of vaccination or a negative test result will be required to participate in the hunt, particularly the daily safety briefings. We will be sending out an email to everyone who registered shortly to ensure that everyone is aware. AEP had pushed this out previously but I want to make sure it gets pushed out to as many people as possible.

V/R

Major M.W. Batten, CD"

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-23-2021, 10:17 PM

Did you just receive a response to your email today?

Received November 18th in response to my email sent on October 9th:

We are working through that right now. If there is, everyone will be informed.

V/R
Major M.W. Batten, CD
Old 11-24-2021, 11:02 AM

Sorry about your luck, and no you will not get a medical letter of exemption from the vax, as your doc will not be able to issue one, without the chance of the board removing his licence due to a internal board review(this was straight from my doctor, he believes this to be totally ludicrous)
Now PM me if you would like, and I can direct you to another way.
Not sure if military bases are allowing neg test( not allowed for there own members, so I doubt it would be allowed for you to access for your hunt)
Why I know this is because my best friend is out on unpaid leave as he refused the jab, he is a captain in the air force, and a pilot instructor. It will take a few months for them to finalize he release paperwork.
I didn't need a winch when I was there, and spent a pile of time walking in the east end. Drove the main area a bit, south end of the west side of the hiway was great for walking and calling.
Hopefully you are able to get out there.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:22 AM

Hockeynut, yes, I received the email yesterday.

Leeelmer, Thanks for the sympathy.
I have gone through the exemption garbage with AHS.
What bugs me is how the gov and media like to promote that there is a path for valid doctor recommended medical exemptions, when there is not.

SO that all see it, this is the email from the base.

The Covid pass OR a Negative covid test will give you access the base.

"From wrtbasehunt@forces.gc.ca

Proof of vaccination or a negative test result will be required to participate in the hunt, particularly the daily safety briefings. We will be sending out an email to everyone who registered shortly to ensure that everyone is aware. AEP had pushed this out previously but I want to make sure it gets pushed out to as many people as possible.

V/R

Major M.W. Batten, CD"

Old 11-24-2021, 11:31 AM

Not to derail thread, would this apply at Suffield too?
Old 11-24-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Not to derail thread, would this apply at Suffield too?
No, they do their brief in your vehicle thru the radio.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:13 PM

Check your email (junk folder as well)
Received an email @1615
Old 11-24-2021, 07:43 PM

Default Wainwright Closing?

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-training-base

Will the camp be closed?

Cheers

SS
Old 11-24-2021, 07:59 PM

We are making our first trip ever up for the first rifle hunt. Just thankful for the opportunity considering all the past year has thrown at us. Planning on getting some nice crisp air and who knows, maybe shoot a deer or two as well. Appreciate any ideas or tips but otherwise yeah, just thankful to be heading up no matter what the restrictions. Talked to many friends who have done it before and it sounds like a fun adventure if you keep your expectations in check. Good luck everyone!