Trigger tech diamond
Chambered in 338 Sherman short mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s an awesome set up Mark!
Old 12-06-2021, 12:38 AM
Banned

No problem and thanks 👍👍
Old 12-10-2021, 01:24 PM

There seems to be a disconnect between if you could and if you can. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 12-10-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
There seems to be a disconnect between if you could and if you can. :-)

Nope, not really. Planned mine for a couple of years, and BAM, here I have it.

Last edited by wallz; 07-14-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Gone Hunting

If I sold all of my rifles I wouldn't have enough to buy a Coey break action shotgun. But if I sold my house as well I might be able to afford the perfect rifle.

I'd start with an Argentine K98 action. I'd have a Mark 4 barrel mated to that, then add a Nylon stock, unfinished. And a peep sight.

I don't want fancy wood or a long range shooter.
I want something I can strap to the rack of my quad and head off into the Muskeg and not need to worry about scratching anything.

I want a rifle I can load ammo for without mortgaging the house, one that I can cycle in a new round in under a minute, don't need more then that.
And one with a sight system that won't fog up or loose zero if it gets bumped.

I also want a rifle that uses a cartridge that won't knock my hat off, one that has a long history of getting the job done, and one I already have dies for.

I don't need or want anything more then that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-11-2021, 02:45 PM

Nothing fancy for me. I've got an older M700 that I bought used and rarely shoot.

So, I'd rebarrel it with a stainless barrel from an Alberta maker. Get it chambered in 280Rem. Bed it into a Bell and Carlson stock. I'd get some Talley lightweights to mount the scope.

I'd be good to go for just about anything in Alberta.

Last edited by Big Sky; 12-11-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I had Bill leeper build ..303 Brit chambered Ruger quite a few years ago, and it has killed a pile of game from 15 yards to over 350.
I have had several rifles built or rebarreled since, but they invariably cannot measure up to this Ruger, so they get sold, traded, etc.
This rifle has it all ( for me anyway!) from the fantastic wood,to the incredible workmanship on the barrell to the Kepplinger trigger and everything in between.
Anyone who has seen a Ruger single knows that the rib is screwed onto the barrel - Bill milled this one right into the octagon portion!
The scope has QD rings that a 1.5-4X Leupold sits in

Cat

That gun right there would suit me just fine.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:33 PM

For a practial rifle (read effective and inexpensive) I would build one on a modern Carl Gustav action, get it chambered in a 338-06 RKS gain twist S/S bbl, mount it on a bedded & floated Mcmiilan woody, Scope it with a Kahles 3-9 x42 , load it with a Nosler 210 partition and go hunting for anything I want, for as long as i want... all for less than $ 2500.00. ..'cause I'm cheap !
Old 12-11-2021, 03:42 PM

F

Last edited by Salavee; 12-11-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
For a practial rifle (read effective and inexpensive) I would build one on a modern Carl Gustav action, get it chambered in a 338-06 RKS gain twist S/S bbl, mount it on a bedded & floated Mcmiilan woody, Scope it with a Kahles 3-9 x42 , load it with a Nosler 210 partition and go hunting for anything I want, for as long as i want... all for less than $ 2500.00. ..'cause I'm cheap !
That sounds like a great combination, and a good cartridge....but I have to question whether you are gonna get that all for $2500. Have you priced Kahles scopes lately? They are not cheap! Nor is a gain twist barrel or McMillan stock. It would be a great gun, especially if you could build it for that.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-11-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That sounds like a great combination, and a good cartridge....but I have to question whether you are gonna get that all for $2500. Have you priced Kahles scopes lately? They are not cheap! Nor is a gain twist barrel or McMillan stock. It would be a great gun, especially if you could build it for that.
You are correct,sorry. Those figures were from a weak memory.
.Below are my actual costs

Garl Gustav action from a used and abused rifle that cost me 550.00
RKS gain twist . (new). 400.00
Chambering (new) 250,.00
McMillan Woody. (used off a rifle i bought) 700.00
Kahles Scope (used) 1100.00

All in Canadian $$
Old 12-11-2021, 07:50 PM
Gone Hunting

I kinda envy you guys.

I don't know much about what constitutes a top grade rifle.

My experience is almost entirely in using whatever I had, in the field.

I've only bought two new firearms in my life. All the rest were bought used, mostly well used.

To me a rifle is a tool, nothing more. Yeah I like to look at fancy guns like most of you do, but in all honesty I wouldn't know a $10,000 rifle from a $1,000 rifle.

Which is a big part of why I chose to answer the way I did.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not new to rifles or hunting. It's just that I grew up in a culture where fancy wood was something rich folks had, and no one I knew was rich.

I almost didn't post, but then I thought, what about the guys who don't want a fancy custom rig, there must be room for us here too.

So I posted what I might dream of if I had the money.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-11-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I kinda envy you guys.

I've only bought two new firearms in my life. All the rest were bought used, mostly well used.

To me a rifle is a tool, nothing more. Yeah I like to look at fancy guns like most of you do, but in all honesty I wouldn't know a $10,000 rifle from a $1,000 rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not new to rifles or hunting. It's just that I grew up in a culture where fancy wood was something rich folks had, and no one I knew was rich.

I almost didn't post, but then I thought, what about the guys who don't want a fancy custom rig, there must be room for us here too.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2021, 09:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Keg I’m with you, I’ve built some pretty awesome rigs and god knows my wallet has seen the green fly over the years. I could do it again but now building what I could is a totally different game. I’m way more ‘functional tool’ now than ever before.
Twenty plus years ago, when I was a guide, one of our hunters showed up in camp with a rifle that had every inch of the stock engraved with animals, birds, even mountains.

My first thought was why would you bring that out to the bush. it looks like it belongs on someone's wall.

A few days after he arrived one of the other hunters was admiring that rifle.
Where did you get the stock done he asked. Then commented, it must have cost a fortune.

Well that's what I thought too. But no.

The owner explained that he had been on a business trip to India, and one day, at a street market he discovered a old gentleman sitting cross legged on a mat carving a bowl with hand tools.
The piece was a work of art, so this hunter asked, could you do that to a rifle stock. I believe I could was the reply, so the hunter asked what would it cost.
$100.00 American dollars said the artist.

So the stock was done and a rifle was built for it. The build used a k98 action and a custom barrel, on a $100.00 stock.

I never asked but I did wonder, was that why he brought it to camp? Did he see it as a piece of art, or a tool made to fit his fancy.

I've always thought it was the latter.

Maybe because that's the way I would see it. I do like nice things, but I don't think it would look nice in my hands for very long.

That is why I will never own a rifle like that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-11-2021, 11:43 PM

No point in spending the money on a rifle and not using it?

Makes it that much more enjoyable when you use it is all. The nice optics are really a treat as well out in the field every time you look thru them.

That said, last week I enjoyed taking out and shooting for the first time since acquiring an old 1895 lever action with open sights. Man was it a treat.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
You are correct,sorry. Those figures were from a weak memory.
.Below are my actual costs

Garl Gustav action from a used and abused rifle that cost me 550.00
RKS gain twist . (new). 400.00
Chambering (new) 250,.00
McMillan Woody. (used off a rifle i bought) 700.00
Kahles Scope (used) 1100.00

All in Canadian $$
Fair enough, using good condition used components is something I have done as well (with optics mostly) so then you could get an excellent set up for a not too insane price. I've told a few new/young shooters to look at used rifles over the years. From a practical standpoint it is the way to go.

But not necessarily an 'if you could build' type rifle. And really, a practical affordable used set up is more then most would ever need for hunting. There is certainly a point of diminishing returns where the moose you shot doesn't know if you did it with a used Ruger 77 with a Bushnell scope that cost $800 all in, or a Gunwerks dialed in über shooter that cost $15,000.

I respect people living and hunting and shooting within their means. My first hunting rifle was a Remington 788 in .308 with a terrible Tasco scope I paid $300 for. It was what I could afford, and it worked. I don't actually miss it. And I certainly appreciate the higher quality I can get now. But it doesn't make me a better hunter, or more successful necessarily. It can give me an advantage for sure, but you dance with what you bring.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-12-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I kinda envy you guys.

I took this thread to mean that if you could what would it be. I chose a $20,000 option because I would if I could. I can’t so I shan’t.

But I’m also not into the self deprecating, look how cheaply I can acquire guns mentality either. A Rifle is actually a fairly rare appreciating asset. They can last for multiple generations, and hold their value if not relegated one’s self to a company’s “starter” model. Instead of spending $500, save and spend $1000 (and I recommend used), make certain it is reliable and you could literally hunt the four quarters of the world with it.

I know of a late gentleman that literally possessed one of the most expensive firearms collections in the world. With custom rifles in it worth over a quarter of a million dollars. Yet he literally hunted the globe with a pair of factory Sako Fiberclass rifles. One chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and the other the 375 H&H.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-12-2021, 10:16 AM

Not to be a copycat, but I’d build what Twisted Canuck has on order. Not 100% sure on what cartridge, but 338 Federal would be enticing. I do like me my 7 Rem Mags though. I think what TC has ordered up is just wonderful, and it’s a made in Alberta rig. Can’t wait to see pics of his beauty.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I took this thread to mean that if you could what would it be. I chose a $20,000 option because I would if I could. I can’t so I shan’t.

But I’m also not into the self deprecating, look how cheaply I can acquire guns mentality either. A Rifle is actually a fairly rare appreciating asset. They can last for multiple generations, and hold their value if not relegated one’s self to a company’s “starter” model. Instead of spending $500, save and spend $1000 (and I recommend used), make certain it is reliable and you could literally hunt the four quarters of the world with it.

I know of a late gentleman that literally possessed one of the most expensive firearms collections in the world. With custom rifles in it worth over a quarter of a million dollars. Yet he literally hunted the globe with a pair of factory Sako Fiberclass rifles. One chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and the other the 375 H&H.
Agreed on all points. With a few differences.

I too took it to mean what I personally would do if money was not an option.

I also admire nice guns. But I don't care to own any I would not be comfortable using where they might get damaged.

And for me it's not even about how cheaply I could acquire what I like, it's about not spending money where I don't see an advantage in doing so.

More immediately it's about what I can afford. I would like to trade in my 06 for a 270, as my brother is planning to do with his 6mm, but there are so many other projects that offer a more immediate return I don't see that ever happening. Not for me anyway.

I really appreciate this thread because it has got me to thinking about what I have and why I haven't made the choice to update my tools.

I may yet make the choice to start looking for a deal on a 270, thanks to this thread. I'm certainly think more about it now then I ever have.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2021, 01:42 PM

Man I love the ignore function.

The gun that T.C is building is pretty similar to what I would probably build. I’m not exactly sure what cartridge I would go with, probably a fast twist 280 Rem with a 24” barrel.

I haven’t shot any of the KS actions but have handled and fondled enough to know that that’s what I would buy. I like my defiance deviant but for the money the KS action is probably a more practical way to go.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:42 PM

I'd like to take credit for building a gun, but really, just paying a pro to do it for me...

Old 12-13-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
That gun right there would suit me just fine.
It's a dream to hunt with and shoot , point as easily as any rifle I have ever shot
Cat
Old 12-13-2021, 06:11 PM

Damned thread made me go look at CPA's again.

Do I really want a Schuetzen version? or do I want a benchrest version? or both stocks? Thinking birdseye maple with fiddleback again. Want a loop lever with wood insert, palmrest. I still have a breech seater and a re-decapper for 32-40, I know where to get brass, have 8lbs or so of powder, 2-3000 primers. Whose barrel do I want, std or gain twist. Need a mould, Jones is gone, need to figure out where to get what I want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPA combo.jpg (25.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg CPA-Rifles-Model-44-1-2-Combination.jpg (54.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed on all points. With a few differences.

I too took it to mean what I personally would do if money was not an option.

I also admire nice guns. But I don't care to own any I would not be comfortable using where they might get damaged.

And for me it's not even about how cheaply I could acquire what I like, it's about not spending money where I don't see an advantage in doing so.

More immediately it's about what I can afford. I would like to trade in my 06 for a 270, as my brother is planning to do with his 6mm, but there are so many other projects that offer a more immediate return I don't see that ever happening. Not for me anyway.

I really appreciate this thread because it has got me to thinking about what I have and why I haven't made the choice to update my tools.

I may yet make the choice to start looking for a deal on a 270, thanks to this thread. I'm certainly think more about it now then I ever have.
If you have never owned a custom rifle, you don’t know what your missing
I’ll tell you the one thing that a custom rifles does
It instills confidence
If your too cheap, well that’s on you
But a custom rifle is built with quality components and it will do its part when you do yours
I’m messaging this from a small hotel in Mexico, hunting desert sheep, with a pos camp 257 wby. If I had any of my rifles, things would be different for us down here
Old 12-17-2021, 06:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
If you have never owned a custom rifle, you don’t know what your missing
I’ll tell you the one thing that a custom rifles does
It instills confidence
If your too cheap, well that’s on you
But a custom rifle is built with quality components and it will do its part when you do yours
I’m messaging this from a small hotel in Mexico, hunting desert sheep, with a pos camp 257 wby. If I had any of my rifles, things would be different for us down here
So Weatherby is not a quality rifle?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-17-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I think you can say that about any rifle that is yours, a rifle you know, vs camp rifle. Doesn’t have to be custom to be a great rifle that you can have the same amount of confidence in.

Edit: On a side note, you can’t bring your firearms to Mexico, Mark?
Old 12-17-2021, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
So Weatherby is not a quality rifle?
Not a vanguard
Old 12-17-2021, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I think you can say that about any rifle that is yours, a rifle you know, vs camp rifle. Doesn’t have to be custom to be a great rifle that you can have the same amount of confidence in.

Edit: On a side note, you can’t bring your firearms to Mexico, Mark?
We had issues getting our rifle permits in time
Old 12-17-2021, 06:22 PM

That sucks.

Good luck with the hunt! Hope you tag a big one! That would be number 5 or 6 for the year?
Old 12-17-2021, 11:03 PM

Action would be a Barnard PLM, 5 rnd Acc Int magazine, 338 Lapua chamber, 27 inch Rock Creek barrel maybe Sendero contour, A5 adjustable stock (if the action fit, which might not be the case) or preferably Highpower Match fully adjustable stock with flush cups. Near Alphamount triple-ring scope base and 25moa rail. Zeiss Victory scope. Badger Ordnance inclinometer. TAB biathlon sling. Upgrades/improvements would be made later