Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-13-2021, 11:05 AM

Default Best Fly Line?

I’m looking to get a couple new fly lines and was hoping to get some real-world experiences from you all. I need to get a 5 weight floating line for trout and a 5 weight sinking line for fishing streamers and nymphs in both streams and lakes. In your opinion, what is the best floating and sinking line (full sink or sink tip??)? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2021, 11:19 AM

I always used Rio lines until just this summer when I picked up a SA Amplitude Infinity line. It does seem easier to cast, likely because it is so overweighted (See some recent posts on here about fly rod and line weights being off...). I can't comment on the durability of the line yet as I've only had it one season.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-13-2021, 11:20 AM

i like the Scientific Angler Trout series for weight forward floating line. nice casting line.

Mike
Old 08-13-2021, 03:16 PM

I've tried RIO, Loop and Scientific Angler. I stick with SA now. RIO and Loop just don't cast as nicely for me.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:42 PM

I really like Cortland lines. 444 for the floating.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-13-2021, 05:16 PM

I like the Scientific Angler lines too. Have both floating and sinking lines and been pleased with both.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:37 PM

Rio gold for floating

SA Mastery (?) Type III uniform sink for sinking line for lakes

Probably a sink tip, Type III or IV, for rivers

So now you need three!
Old 08-13-2021, 07:55 PM

Such a subjective question.
You will find there is no "best"...everyone has their own likes/dislikes, casting styles, distances, etc
Kind of like asking "what is better Ford or GM?"

That said...after having tried almost all of the mainstream line manufacturers products, the only advice I can offer is that they all produce decent lines.

Is a $100+ RIO line 3X better than a $30 Sci-angler aircell?...will it last 3X longer...IMO, no
Do you need 4 different rate sinking lines?...for most people...No

Personally, for Alberta fishing I almost always use floating lines...probably haven't used a sinker or sink tip for 10+ years. There are other ways to get down if needed...

Most of my lines are Sci-anglers...I do like Cortland but have stopped using them because I find their coil memory in cold weather is terrible.

Your mileage may vary...
Old 08-14-2021, 11:35 AM

Tried a lot of lines over the years, the majority of my reels are spooled with rio gold, not saying the others are horrible, just rio is a key component now, I’ve been using it for well in excess of ten years now, tried sa and cortland and a few others, the quality and just overall castability seems much better with rio, an old timer got me on to this stuff, and just never looked back since, I think only only a troglodyte wouldn’t be impressed with this product, hope that helps…..
Old 08-14-2021, 11:43 AM

I mostly fish streamers in creeks and rivers, I fish a type 7 full sink, in either 4 or 5 weights if fishing from shore. If I'm fishing from the drifter I fish the heaviest tip sink tip in 7 weight early and change to the clear tips as water drops and clears. I fish a 24" max leader, 15lb flouro

Rios have turned to garbage over the last couple of years and I see the core of full sinks in 10 trips, I think ill chuck SAs next season.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:48 AM

Default single hand spey a must have line

Hi guys
I have been using single hand Floating spey lines by Vision for a couple of years now. I will not go back to standard WF single hand lines as the spey lines are 10 times better for casting up to about 80 feet. And you can do a 60 foot roll cast like a dream. All you need is about 10 feet of room behind you and the line rolls out beautifully. NO KIDDING. With some practice 80 feet is possible with 10 feet of room behind you. A 30 feet cast with no room behind you is easy.
I no longer use PVC lines like those made by RIO. They have wonderful tapers but the lines have very short lifespans as all of my Rios have cracked in 1 to 2 years and they coil badly.
I use Vision Vibe 85 fly lines. I believe they are made by Airflo and are made in England out of, I believe polyethelene?? not PVC and they last a very long time. They have a 27/28 foot long head and are 88 feet long. They have a spey taper where the heavies part of the head is toward the rear of the line not at the front of the line like a standard WF line. This makes the line easier to roll cast and do a standard single hand cast. For beginner fly casters it make learning a dream. You must slow down when casting them as they are a little heavier than a standard WF line. When you first use them they coil a bit but soon sit flat in the boat. Nice. And little or no stretch. Also nice.
I use the lines for lake fishing mostly as it makes casting an Indicator way easier than a standard WF line. I often use over 20 feet of leader below an indicator.
If you have a very short rod ,say 8 feet then a Vision Vibe 65 at 21 foot head my be what you would use. Nile Creek Fly Shop on Vancouver Island has these lines. Good outfit to buy from.
I have tried lines with shorter heads on my 9 and 10 foot rods and I have found that the 27/28 foot heads are best.
I have been fly casting 65 years so you can take this info for what it is worth.
Bjay
Old 09-28-2021, 05:35 PM

Default Don't buy Loop lines

Had a horrible experience with Loop (floating) lines

Have had great experiences with both SA (floating) and Snowbee (floating, intermediate and sink tips lines)! I've used SA for both fresh water an salt water - all newer lines within the last year or two. Snowbee for my pike/bully set ups.

Peter

The Alpine Experience

-Confucius
Old 10-03-2021, 10:10 AM

Default Airflo Superflo

Airflo Superflo line is top notch, I have the airflo superflo power taper and it's awesome! Line is PVC free and very durable also very well priced compared to Rio and SA
Old 01-04-2022, 01:27 PM

Needed a new 5 wt floater so bought a SA Amplitude Infinity yesterday. I get 5 years out of a line but was still choked by the 140 dollar price tag!!!! There was a Rio going for 170!!!!
Years ago all i used were SA GPX and they were solid. I have currently have Airflow, Rio, and SA on a few of my set ups. Hope this is a good line but feel it will suit my needs .
Old 01-04-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Needed a new 5 wt floater so bought a SA Amplitude Infinity yesterday. I get 5 years out of a line but was still choked by the 140 dollar price tag!!!! There was a Rio going for 170!!!!
Years ago all i used were SA GPX and they were solid. I have currently have Airflow, Rio, and SA on a few of my set ups. Hope this is a good line but feel it will suit my needs .

Of course it is your choice and your money.

If it were mine....I would have bought three Rio mainstreams for that price....or...two SA frequency lines instead.

Depending on how many days casting per year you do, you might be better served by buying two frequency's and changing out your lines twice as often.
Lines do tend to get dirty (and even cleaning will not get them really clean)....dirty lines are one cause of premature guide wear.

As I said in my previous post, you will not get two times the life out of an Amplitude vs a frequency...nor will most people notice any difference in quality.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:43 AM

I tend to agree with you but have had some rods and reels come into my collection from the passing of a good friend. I take care of my gear and am still on my first and only set of simms guides waders I bought over 15 years ago!!!
I bet the average person would not tell a big difference in lines.
Face it, a reel is the most overpriced in the equipment a FF needs...... for trout!!!
Old 01-05-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
I tend to agree with you but have had some rods and reels come into my collection from the passing of a good friend. I take care of my gear and am still on my first and only set of simms guides waders I bought over 15 years ago!!!
I bet the average person would not tell a big difference in lines.
Face it, a reel is the most overpriced in the equipment a FF needs...... for trout!!!
Not necessarily. I've got four or five Rimfly reels from way back when that I still use on many occasions in lieu of my Hardy's, Sage's, etc.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:45 PM

Default Fly lines

Google. Barrio fly lines. They make great lines, very reasonably priced, and ship free, from Scotland.
I used to only use Rio Gold, these are half price, and quite comparable.
The only issue I have with them is they do not come with a welded loop.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
The only issue I have with them is they do not come with a welded loop.
The first thing I do if a line comes with a welded loop...is cut it off....
Old 01-05-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Not necessarily. I've got four or five Rimfly reels from way back when that I still use on many occasions in lieu of my Hardy's, Sage's, etc.
I am talking the big 3
rod, reel , line
In many ways a quality line is more important than the reel. Again, I own Islander, Ross, Able, hatch, etc, but all are nice but overkill for trout fishing. Some of mine are over 20 years old too so I hear what you say about still using them.
A lot of my quality gear I buy on sale and only one rod I paid full price. Have to love when Sage comes out with their new models and you can buy the 750 dollar rod for 400....... still crazy to think about but they are quality.

Have not bought a rod or reel for over 7 years now . Buy once cry once!!!!
A line will be bought more than once.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:17 PM

I use Cortland and Sci. Anglers lines and get <> 300 days of fishing from them.
Check out my site bamboorods.ca lower right corner of home page to link on BS on line weights. http://bamboorods.ca/Fly%20Line%201.html

A new company supplying l7nes now: https://406flylines.com/

Don
Old 01-19-2022, 02:06 PM

Default Best Fly Lines

Rio!!!
Old 01-28-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Such a subjective question.
You will find there is no "best"...everyone has their own likes/dislikes, casting styles, distances, etc
Kind of like asking "what is better Ford or GM?"

That said...after having tried almost all of the mainstream line manufacturers products, the only advice I can offer is that they all produce decent lines.

Is a $100+ RIO line 3X better than a $30 Sci-angler aircell?...will it last 3X longer...IMO, no
Do you need 4 different rate sinking lines?...for most people...No

Personally, for Alberta fishing I almost always use floating lines...probably haven't used a sinker or sink tip for 10+ years. There are other ways to get down if needed...

Most of my lines are Sci-anglers...I do like Cortland but have stopped using them because I find their coil memory in cold weather is terrible.

Your mileage may vary...

I completely agree with your comments. I have a tough time believing any fly line is worth $150+
Old 01-29-2022, 09:27 AM
Banned

I’ve never found the need for sinking line. But, I’ve fished still water about 3 times in the last 30 years. I’m pretty sure I’ve always used S.A. dt Floating with no complaints.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
I’ve never found the need for sinking line. But, I’ve fished still water about 3 times in the last 30 years. I’m pretty sure I’ve always used S.A. dt Floating with no complaints.
Fished still water at least 50 trips a year over the last 20 years. Type III sinking and WF floating are my go to lines for 90% of the time.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:08 AM

Default Sa anadro

Big fan of the SA Anadro smooth lines, excellent for chironomid fishing. They are built heavy.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:37 AM

Sink tip for rivers and full sink for lakes. Sink tip will allow for easy mending on the rivers and still ok for lakes but I find a full sink is better in lakes than a sink tip