Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 06:21 PM

A friend discovered wild boar on his game cams on another friends land last month. I saw a few of the pictures, and they definitely don't look like domestic pigs. They are going to try and hunt them now that the regular hunting seasons are over.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A friend discovered wild boar on his game cams on another friends land last month. I saw a few of the pictures, and they definitely don't look like domestic pigs. They are going to try and hunt them now that the regular hunting seasons are over.
They should set up a trap and get them all. Hunting will just move them off.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
They should set up a trap and get them all. Hunting will just move them off.
Seeing as how all pictures were in the dark, a trap is being considered.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:34 PM

You mean like this that I captured on one of my trail cams?

I have not seen one in the wild personally.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-03-2021, 07:47 AM

I found a skull of a boar this spring while shed hunting. The tusks were a giveaway. Mountain view county. Was quite surprised.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:35 AM

Default saw one

Mid day about 5 years ago 3km east of Sylvan Lake off HWY 11A wandering across an open field.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:01 PM

Snow on the ground, if you know where there are some, time to make bacon.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-03-2021, 04:23 PM

I (like everyone else here) will gladly shoot some pigs if I can get a location.
I just heard of a story of 40 being killed around Alberta beach.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
I (like everyone else here) will gladly shoot some pigs if I can get a location.
I just heard of a story of 40 being killed around Alberta beach.
Well I’m very very close toAlberta Beach and I haven’t heard this and would probably call b.s. the closest hogs to Alberta beach probably would have been jack pine grazing reserve. Pretty sure they were all shot 25 years ago. Next closest ones would be Hog Wild at Mayerthorpe.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Well I’m very very close toAlberta Beach and I haven’t heard this and would probably call b.s. the closest hogs to Alberta beach probably would have been jack pine grazing reserve. Pretty sure they were all shot 25 years ago. Next closest ones would be Hog Wild at Mayerthorpe.
I was thinking the same thing but keep noticing the governments wild boar sign at Wabamun made me think it was possible.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:26 PM

Confirmed 5 animal sounder east of highway 2 @ Bowden.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:32 PM

Many people keep quite about hogs, in my experience from growing up in Manitoba everyone talked about there being hardly any hogs at all but I'd go out with relatives near their farms and find tons of sign and shoot a few. Most people around the areas didn't want to think hogs were around so they dismissed all sign as being from elk lol. They are very hard to see since they are usually completely nocturnal but if you do see one it's almost a guarantee that there's many many more and even in areas you wouldn't think they would be in. Drive roads and look at the tracks carefully, when most people look at a hog track they don't realize it from my experiences. For every post or pin put on a hog site there's probably been a few shot in that area, on the Manitoba site there's maybe 100 reports and I know of over 20 being shot just from family but most of them don't report it on the sites because they know there'll be a hundred hunters out driving around a few days later lol. Also if you do end up finding some watch out in all directions since an uncle had shot 2 in a bush and then a third one came running at him from the other direction, we don't know if it was just confused or if it was actually charging him but just watch out. Also heard of a lady 2 years ago in Manitoba getting charged by one and she shot it with a 30-06 at 40 yards in the chest, it took off and they tracked it for miles so use bullets for elk and moose since they have tougher skin
Old 12-05-2021, 12:08 AM

They are tougher than hell...

A guy was mooching around the bush, it was -20C something like that. I don't know if he was looking for wild boar, but he all of a sudden saw one pop up over some bull rushes.

He shot that pig, went up to it and found it was a sow on a nest with 7 piglets.

He took home the sow he had shot and told his wife the story, she said, "Well you have to go back and get those piglets!"

So he went back, and he was able to catch 6 of them...

Went home and the wife said, "Well you gotta go get the least one too!"

So he went back, and he was able to catch the last of them...

They made a pen for those piglets, him and buddy raised them until that fall then butchered them.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-06-2021, 08:46 AM

Since they're invasive, can a person legally hunt pigs at night with a rifle and headlights?
Old 12-06-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Since they're invasive, can a person legally hunt pigs at night with a rifle and headlights?
No
Old 12-06-2021, 09:15 AM

They are tough as hell. I spend Some time in Australia hunting them with a longbow and if the shot isn’t good you’ll lose that pig for sure. But an arrow through the lungs kills them fast. They weren’t impossible to stalk but they also never stop moving, so you need to move fast rather than being super sneaky like you would with a deer. Of course all hell breaks loose once your target pig starts “squallering and screaming,” that’s what will keep you from killing more than one or two. That’s why the traps are so much more effective.

Smelly, rotten absessed teeth, cut to hell from fighting each other, these aren’t the pigs I grew up with in the barn.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:44 PM

Default Hog

Tracked this guy in snow to his bed. 30yds with .308. Too old and too tough need to find younger hogs. Just outside of Edm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 411F76D8-B927-4CE5-8ED5-9BAB0921A89A.jpg (64.1 KB, 333 views)
Old 12-10-2021, 12:40 PM

Good looking hog and nice firearm!!
Old 12-10-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Confirmed 5 animal sounder east of highway 2 @ Bowden.
Jake's pigs are out again ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-10-2021, 01:28 PM

Default Bring your barbecue and a rifle

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#tr...sagePartId=0.1

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 12-10-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:22 PM

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:25 PM

Not a hog expert, not by a long shot, but did get a chance to hunt them in Florida.

We hunted at night with thermal scopes. We were on the plantation during the day, and did not see a sniff of one hog.

At night, there were tons on the scopes. (as well as deer, raccoons, birds, those scopes are amazing).

I understand they also hunt a lot of them over bait stations, water holes etc.

My point being, is in a province the size of Alberta, by the time us regular folks are noticing them with regularity during the day.... there'll be 10's of thousands of them about.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:34 PM

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...box=1646541706

Man you read the comments to it on Facebook. And it sounds like the province is knee deep in pigs. As far as I can tell it’s conjecture that the city would make good habitat provided there where pigs. Which seemingly there isnt
Old 03-07-2022, 05:23 PM

I saw 3 crossing highway 63 just north of redwater about 2 and a half years ago. It was just past midnight and at first I wasn't even sure what I was looking at.

A couple of friends went looking last year around where the Wild Hogs farm is and they saw 1 cross the road in broad daylight. It went onto private land which they were not given permission to go on.

So yes they are out there. Gotta probably put some boot leather to the ground to find em.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 03-07-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I saw 3 crossing highway 63 just north of redwater about 2 and a half years ago. It was just past midnight and at first I wasn't even sure what I was looking at.

A couple of friends went looking last year around where the Wild Hogs farm is and they saw 1 cross the road in broad daylight. It went onto private land which they were not given permission to go on.

So yes they are out there. Gotta probably put some boot leather to the ground to find em.
I should they aren’t there in numbers worth being bothered by
Old 03-07-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke74 View Post
No feral hogs here but a few years back a pig escaped from a local farm and ended up in the middle to of town. It was a nuisance, making a mess and rooting up gardens. An old guy took his rifle and shot the pig while it was in town one day and solved the problem. An RCMP member confiscated his rifle but did give it back to him a few days later. You can do anything in small town Saskatchewan lol.

Its Saskatchewan. Maybe he didn't want the pig to talk. Or in this case, squeal.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:27 PM

These pigs sound as elusive as Sasquatch. 🤨
Old 03-08-2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
Not a hog expert, not by a long shot, but did get a chance to hunt them in Florida.

We hunted at night with thermal scopes. We were on the plantation during the day, and did not see a sniff of one hog.

At night, there were tons on the scopes. (as well as deer, raccoons, birds, those scopes are amazing).

I understand they also hunt a lot of them over bait stations, water holes etc.

My point being, is in a province the size of Alberta, by the time us regular folks are noticing them with regularity during the day.... there'll be 10's of thousands of them about.

I would agree with that last point. I’ve spent 11 years here in Oz where there are TONS of feral pigs and could probably count on one hand how many times I’ve seen them in the daylight. Get out at night though and it’s a different story.

Chasing a dog through the scrub at night that’s bailed up a good pig is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Something I haven’t bothered to do now for a couple years and I should line up a hunt with a mate. Most are killed with a knife here, I can only think of a few we shot because the dogs were busy. Typically the dog runs them down and holds em by the ear until you catch up. You have to grab their back legs and roll them, kneel on the chest then take out the heart. Just avoid the tusks and hope that dog doesn’t let go to early.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:30 AM

I have seen hogs south east of sherwood park seen acouple by wabamun also
Old 03-09-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I have seen hogs south east of sherwood park seen acouple by wabamun also
They are on trail cams east of the Elk Island park fence now. Not lots, looks like a couple wanderers but if there's 1, there is more. Have not seen them live and during the day on the land owners property yet.