Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-03-2021, 08:33 PM

Default Best options

I'm getting back into trapping and trying to figure out the best options for selling my fur. I know it's early but I'm a retired planner. When I was trapping before I was selling to NAFA but now it seems like they have gone out of business.

Looking in the achieves there are some private buyers like GFW - Marty S, Two Rivers and Halfords looking at ad above. Fur Harvesters is still in the game and sounds like the only auction house left.

The last receiving dates and auctions seem to be late compared to before. So I guess I'll be looking to see what the buyers are paying. Anyone hear what the prices are yet?
Old 11-03-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuyTrapper View Post
I'm getting back into trapping and trying to figure out the best options for selling my fur. I know it's early but I'm a retired planner. When I was trapping before I was selling to NAFA but now it seems like they have gone out of business.

Looking in the achieves there are some private buyers like GFW - Marty S, Two Rivers and Halfords looking at ad above. Fur Harvesters is still in the game and sounds like the only auction house left.

The last receiving dates and auctions seem to be late compared to before. So I guess I'll be looking to see what the buyers are paying. Anyone hear what the prices are yet?
I am no expert but I can say this the early flat goods will be at a reduced price, now as for the later in the season goods that are prime and have a good full fur coverage with nice bellies will do well I presume, so the later you can start producing your fur, Mid November when they start to prime up the better you will do with the buyer's. But if quality, well handled fur is not there, then the money won't be either. This is my opinion only from my experience selling to buyer's privately. Hope that helps somewhat, have a great season and be safe
Old 11-05-2021, 12:52 PM

A few trappers with larger number of pelts will put some into both auction (FHA now) and private buyers.