Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2021, 07:35 AM

Default Summer Kill Local Lakes

Trying to find out the status of local lakes(Star,Hasse,Salters etc.) is it still worthwhile to fish these lakes
Old 08-25-2021, 10:10 AM

I emailed the biologist for the area,for an answer.South lakes,seem to be ok.He did mention sm kill was more in northern lakes.

Yes, the rain and associated cooler temperatures were desperately needed for our fisheries (and humans) across the whole south.

Thankfully, we have not received any reports of fish kills in the very southern region, including Police Outpost Lake. I currently do not have a list of lakes that were affected by summer kills, but know, that affected lakes were generally located north of Calgary.

Currently, there is no plan to stock Police this fall. It has only been stocked once per year in the last few years.

Bullshead Lake is still under investigation and as long as the cause of the loss of fish is not understood, we will not stock the lake with any fish.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I emailed the biologist for the area,for an answer.South lakes,seem to be ok.He did mention sm kill was more in northern lakes.

Yes, the rain and associated cooler temperatures were desperately needed for our fisheries (and humans) across the whole south.

Thankfully, we have not received any reports of fish kills in the very southern region, including Police Outpost Lake. I currently do not have a list of lakes that were affected by summer kills, but know, that affected lakes were generally located north of Calgary.

Currently, there is no plan to stock Police this fall. It has only been stocked once per year in the last few years.

Bullshead Lake is still under investigation and as long as the cause of the loss of fish is not understood, we will not stock the lake with any fish.

I hope that helps.
Not really, the OP was asking about local lakes in the Stoney Plain area west of Edmonton. All I'm going to offer from recent experience is that if the lake/pot hole is deep enough you will find trout in good shape.

I'm worried about Muir because it's so shallow.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:44 PM

Heard through the grapevine r5ecently from a young fly guy who lives in Spruce Grove that Muir had some summerkill and things did not look good there.

I had stopped by Muir three or four weeks ago one morning early and saw no sign of any fish after sitting and watching for about 45 minutes. No rises but that doesn't mean they all perished.

Also told by there was an article in one one of the local papers that Hasse had some sumerkill as well.

Don't know about other lakes in the area.

A few days of steady rain would be good.

Hope to get out a few times and fish some of potholes west of the city in the next couple months and find out what's happening.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:31 AM

I fished Muir on Monday afternoon for a few hours and did not even get a hit. Thought I'd try it again for a few hours last night under different conditions (cloudy, showers) and the results were the same. Not even a hit. About three other anglers on the south end of the lake last night. I didn't see anybody catch a fish. I didn't see any dead fish except for a few dead 'minnows' and a single backswimmer.

For what it's worth... And I'll probably try it again.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 AM

That is a tough day(s) for sure. Especially when backswimmers should be happening. I haven't fished Muir in years now. Probably should try it as well but there seems to be so many better places to go and only so much time...
Old 09-09-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
I fished Muir on Monday afternoon for a few hours and did not even get a hit. Thought I'd try it again for a few hours last night under different conditions (cloudy, showers) and the results were the same. Not even a hit. About three other anglers on the south end of the lake last night. I didn't see anybody catch a fish. I didn't see any dead fish except for a few dead 'minnows' and a single backswimmer.

For what it's worth... And I'll probably try it again.
"There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear"...Buffalo Springfield

Hopefully Muir will pick up later this month and into October. I heard that Salter's is pretty "mucky" looking now but maybe that will change as well with a frost or two. In the meantime, as Snapfisher notes, there are better places to spend valuable outing days.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:34 PM

Default deader

Someone posted on facebook pictures last month of 70 some dead fish floating around.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:47 PM

Stopped in to have a look at Hasse late this afternoon after some very modest success elsewhere. Water looked like thin pea green soup with visibility maybe in the inches. Nevertheless, saw a number of very small rises in the dock area and, according to a kayaker, a good number of rises over in the east shore, so maybe there's hope?i
Old 09-25-2021, 01:13 PM

Fished Cardiff and Muir this past week. Saw one rising fish at Cardiff. Nothing at Muir, even though there were backswimmers everywhere. Very disappointing. Took a drive to Chickakoo, looked vey sad and not very fishable. Maybe i will have to try Hasse or Dolberg.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
Fished Cardiff and Muir this past week. Saw one rising fish at Cardiff. Nothing at Muir, even though there were backswimmers everywhere. Very disappointing. Took a drive to Chickakoo, looked vey sad and not very fishable. Maybe i will have to try Hasse or Dolberg.
Backswimmers and not boils everywhere tells the tale. That is too bad, again.

Not hearing good things about Hasse either (see above). Had a friend who used to fish there go and confirm the same thing. Green pea soup. Sigh.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:23 AM

I was at Hasse yesterday. Water quality not great but I did see quite a few rising fish- but they were very small. Looked like it may have been recently stocked. Certainly would not expect fish this small at the end of the season. I did not hook any fish, but there was at least some signs of fish life.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:37 PM

Good to know, thanks.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
I was at Hasse yesterday. Water quality not great but I did see quite a few rising fish- but they were very small. Looked like it may have been recently stocked. Certainly would not expect fish this small at the end of the season. I did not hook any fish, but there was at least some signs of fish life.
That's what I said in a post above. You could have saved yourself a trip or gone elsewhere.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:27 AM

Didn't mind the trip, it was a beautiful day out there. Thought I might get lucky and snag a tiger.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:29 AM

Default Muir

I live very near ( 3 minits?) to Muir and pop in a couple times a month on the way home. I dont fly fish so my luck has been minimal at best . I will say that last October I caught a tank sized Rainbow on a Mepps spinner in my aluminum boat. Thats enough to keep me trying.
I only went once this Sept around the 25th . Fished around for a few hours . no bites and didnt see any surface activity. Very cloudy water .
When I get skunked I swear I'm never coming back again, but then I read something I could try ( or my wife wants me to do chores ) and I try again.

I will give it another shot before winter.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector6600 View Post
I live very near ( 3 minits?) to Muir and pop in a couple times a month on the way home. I dont fly fish so my luck has been minimal at best . I will say that last October I caught a tank sized Rainbow on a Mepps spinner in my aluminum boat. Thats enough to keep me trying.
I only went once this Sept around the 25th . Fished around for a few hours . no bites and didnt see any surface activity. Very cloudy water .
When I get skunked I swear I'm never coming back again, but then I read something I could try ( or my wife wants me to do chores ) and I try again.

I will give it another shot before winter.
Took a look at Muir early Saturday evening after fishing else where. Water still very murky and no rises north of the dock...not a good sign at this time of year.

On a positive note, the new signs along the walkway are very well done and provide lots of information and fishing tips.