Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 AM

Default what do you think of the mossberg 935 magnum 3.5in waterfawl shotgun thinking of getting one for duck hunting in the fall

what do you think of the mossberg 935 magnum 3.5in waterfawl shotgun. thinking of getting one for duck hunting in the fall.people sat good and bag things about this shotgun
Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 AM

I have a mossberg 935 and love it. I had it for 2 years now and haven't had a problem with. Great shotgun
Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM

I have one and so does my son.

Good reasonably priced 3.5" shotgun.

Cons: It will not cycle 2 3/4" shells (tried-pain in the A) so if you need lighter loads for skeet or some ranges have a limit on size of shot. Most shells for the 3.5 and 3" are designed for geese and going smaller than 2 in steel starts getting rare or expensive.

The duck experts on here will give you a idea of the shot range they like, but I think the 3.5 might be a tad overkill for ducks...will still work...but not optimal.

Pros; The 3.5s can really reach out there and knock them down. I have had to adjust to this. It seemed that I was missing the close shots and dropping them on the third shot at the end of what I thought was possible.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Gone Hunting

I have one and
#1 you don't need 3.5 inch to shoot birds. 3.5 " is as useful as 10 gauge shotgun= read useless.
Shooting steel is about velocity "speed kills" is not about payload # pellets per shot .That's the reason they developed 3.5.

I may have one for sale if you need one.

Andrew
Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 PM

Well I have an Extrema II and love it. Mine cycles everything I have tried in it. Even 1 oz loads in 2 3/4". Do you need to shoot 3 1/2" shells? Nope. But my gun patterns very well with them so that is what I shoot. I can so I will.
As for the Mossberg I have no experience. Sorry. FWIW I haven't heard a bunch of bad stuff. That can't be too bad then.
I would say that when you buy whatever shottie you decide on, take a bunch of different types of ammo and try them. You will be surprised at the differences in patterns.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Pros; The 3.5s can really reach out there and knock them down. I have had to adjust to this. It seemed that I was missing the close shots and dropping them on the third shot at the end of what I thought was possible.
Remember that steel is considerably faster than it's counterparts. Inside 20 yards rarely requires much leading. I see alot of folks shooting in front of birds that are in close.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM

I've got a model 930, found for myself don't need 3 1/2in. shell.Use it for both upland and migratory birds.Have not had any problems with any shell as of yet.