Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 PM

Default handgun ammo in rifles

Hi there, not much for knowledge on handloading, custom rifles an such but was seeing lots of cheap ammuition in handguns in some calibres that seemed would be great for gopher hunting like the 9mm or 10mm. Can a person get these in a rifle combination or loaded for one?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM

There is a 9mm rifle, Ruger PC9

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-23-2010, 09:13 AM

You can get a Baretta Storm (9 mm) which is restricted, and put on a new barrel to make it non-restricted. The rifle is approximately ~$1000 and as I understand, it's $400-500 to get the barrel replaced. I think Ellwood Epps (Ontario) does these, and no doubt, lots of other places too.

OR....you can buy a lever carbine (e.g. PUMA) in .357/.38 Spl for around $600 new and have a blast! Those roundnose bullets (roughly 150 grains) are really tough on gophers!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Default garden gun in 9mm

IIRC CZ has a smooth bore rifle in 9mm and it is called a garden gun.
No seriously a guy out west wanted one and asked my buddy to see if he could find one for him.
Three weeks later as it came out of Qc. they guy went away happy.
Europeans have a different take on firearms and this was considered a tool for grounds keeps on larger estates.
Will go and search Google and try and find some info.
Gophers beware !!!
Rob
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM

Id say a 10mm is a bit overkill for gophers...Seein as how the FBI stopped using it cause or its stiff recoil and the fact that the rounds like to overpenetrate in humans...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM

my brother has the marlin .357 lever action rifle...fun little gun for sure. big old round nose .357 rounds...light recoil...i was hitting a metal "rooster" at the lethbridge range, off hand standing at 200 yards with it, open sights...the next weekend we used it on some gophers...it pretty much splits them in half.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 AM

While the 9mm and .38 spl would be fun and are available in carbines and such, I'm not aware of a 10mm carbine thats available (I'd like to know if other members do know of any though). I heard from a knowledgeable source that the CPS used to have H&K MP5/10's ( I think back when we hosted the '88 Olympics), but these would certainly be restricted or prohibited; thus not suitable for gophers. Secondly, I don't think you'd find 10mm or .357 mag ammo priced at what I would consider affordable. I sure would love to have legislation come around that would make an MP5/10 available to mere mortals if those old ones could be located.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:37 PM

Just correcting myself on that guess I posed that the CPS had the 10mm HK during the Olympics; they could not have as that variant only came out in 1991. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming
Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Anyone know of any Ruger PC9's for sale here and how much they'd go for?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorzedge View Post
Hi there, not much for knowledge on handloading, custom rifles an such but was seeing lots of cheap ammuition in handguns in some calibres that seemed would be great for gopher hunting like the 9mm or 10mm. Can a person get these in a rifle combination or loaded for one?
'Course you could also get a new precision Ruger 10/22, buy the best .22LR ammo, and still end up with something far cheaper, more accurate, and consistent for gopher shooting.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Target/index.html
Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 PM

thanks for the info gonna look into the 9mm in the rifle an also the 38. What distance could be expected from the 38sp an the 9mm? Also seen the new .410 45colt in the revolving rifle in fur fish an game looks really neat, would like to see in the 9mm or 10mm. Its called the Taurus/Rossi judge style revolving action but in a rifle.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You can get a Baretta Storm (9 mm) which is restricted, and put on a new barrel to make it non-restricted. The rifle is approximately ~$1000 and as I understand, it's $400-500 to get the barrel replaced. I think Ellwood Epps (Ontario) does these, and no doubt, lots of other places too.

OR....you can buy a lever carbine (e.g. PUMA) in .357/.38 Spl for around $600 new and have a blast! Those roundnose bullets (roughly 150 grains) are really tough on gophers!
Another vote for the Beretta.

http://www.beretta.com/Defence-Pisto...idc=206&id=852
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 AM

Is the ruger pc-9/pc-4 not restricted? I was sure it is
Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM

well i got lookin around here but no-one has a 9mm or 10mm in the inventory but found a marlin 38 special. would that have enough punch out to 150yrds for fox an coyotes as well as gophers. i want a reasonable fun gun not normally seen out there but with readily available ammo. Any other advice?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:20 PM

can a person get a stock and 24inch barrel customed to a revolving action for the 10mm, cause then a guy should be able to penetrate a coyote or fox at a 100 yards no? just dont seem to like the 17 or 22mag dont feel right an come wind takes off. With the additional weight of the 10mm at 60 yards to 80 shouldnt exit right? Lookin for an alternative for hunting for predators in winter but still fun for gophers.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 AM

The Marlin or henry lever action carbines can be had in a.44 Mag, .357/.38 special, and a few other cals I think. The Marlin was my pick, albeit in .41 rem Mag. Very Accurate.Very quality. Or maybe one of those cool Ruger semi auto .44 Mag units? Box mag or tube fed.

If you think .38 special is maybe a little wimpy for the type of hunting and distances/penetration you mentioned, a 9mm may seem downright anemic and inadiquate.
when you start to think custom 10mm rifle, start thinking bug bucks. It would be a cool project though.................the closest rimmed magnum hand cannon cartridge to the 10mm is the .41 mag. Not super common, though.

Last edited by Gonehuntin'; 05-04-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM

thanks gone huntin, gonna look around an go see a marlin in the .38. curiousity finally got me.

Tags
please delete