Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2024, 08:12 AM

Default Shotgun Advice for Walking and Travelling in the Backcountry

Long time lurker to the forums but only my second post.

Long story short, I live in the Calgary area and I’m looking for advice on a shotgun suitable for use when traveling by foot in the backcountry.

About 20 years ago, I lived up in Nunavut and worked often out in the field.
Due to us working in in polar bear territory, the policy was when ever anyone went out at least one person in the group carried a shotgun. The ones used had an 18” barrel length. The first 2 shells were bear bangers, the next 2 were rubber slugs, and the last 2 were metal slugs.

Now I’m looking to go up there again this summer where I have to extensively walk around each day out in the field. I would like to purchase a shotgun but don’t know what makes, models and bang for the buck price point I should be looking for.

I won’t be using the gun often, but when I do have to use it, I need it to be reliable for obvious reasons. I would be carrying a backpack he same time I would be carrying the gun. I would not be packing the shotgun away into the backpack while I’m moving around and working each day, but carrying it by hand or some sort of harness.

I have my PAL and know all the requirements for storing and transporting guns.

Any advice on what I should be looking for in a shotgun and any good no BS shops I could deal with in Calgary or immediate area?
Old 02-16-2024, 08:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Mossberg 590 Shockwave.

https://www.rdsc.ca/firearms-ammunit...kote-12ga.html

A solid consideration.

Or if you want more shell capacity the Mossberg 590 Mariner.

https://www.rdsc.ca/firearms-ammunit...zine-12ga.html

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2024, 08:40 AM

Lol We should be coming to you for advise since you have been doing it for years . It sounds like you want a pump action. Just go to your local gun shop and see what they have to offer that works good for grouse hunting as well .
If its just for protection and you want light weight , have a look at a single barrel break action shot gun .
Old 02-16-2024, 08:42 AM

That link certainly hooks you up to a nice shotgun.

Some things that wouldn't hurt to consider are comfort(packing and storing) and ease of deployment.

I went through an exercise on course once, with regards to a defensive shotgun. Albeit for personal defence in the home, it was made clear that things like pistol grips, lights, side saddles and even sights can snag on stuff when trying to get the gun on task.

That said, I still use all of those things!
Old 02-16-2024, 08:57 AM

I just bought a cheap Mossberg 18” pump. It’s light enough and will do the job should I need it to.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:21 AM

I wore out a $300 mossberg in my first season of duck hunting in the 70's. If my life depended on it in the arctic i would own only the very best
Old 02-16-2024, 09:30 AM

Ithaca model 37 pump, have the barrel trimmed to 18.5" and a bead put on it. Still one of the best all round defence guns. Ejects out the bottom, so good for left or right hand, and if you hold the trigger down and pump the action, it will slam fire if you want it too. Very robust built gun that rarely ever has feed or function issues. If you want a quality modern gun, hard to beat the Benelli. Come in Semi auto or pump.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-16-2024 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:34 AM

I bought a Benelli Supernova Tactical with collapsible stock, 14" barrel for my use like this.

They are a tad more, but I have never had any issues with mine.

https://marstar.ca/product/nr61599/

They seem to be listed at $850 in most places, except above as it is used.

https://northernelitefirearms.ca/pro...2-14-5-barrel/
Old 02-16-2024, 10:10 AM

Default SxS

Here's what I pack when I'm bowhunting.
A little 12ga SxS.
It goes in the little backpack scabbard, and I can hardly feel it's there.
I can reach over my shoulder, have it in my hands, and have a shot off all in a few seconds.

I had a pump for a while - but in my view, when seconds count, there are just too many mechanical things going on with a pump. Just my 2 cents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240216_090256.jpg (42.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 02-16-2024, 10:25 AM

I used to carry a shotgun when stream fishing the coal branch country but i switched to a Rossi ranch hand. I put a full length butt stock on the ranch hand . Nice handy carbine with a 12.5” barrel and the .44 mag shells aren’t as bulky as 12 gauge ammo in my walking kit.

Old 02-16-2024, 10:31 AM

Here's a picture of me from my younger days up in Nunavut, trying to look tough. I'm holding the shotgun we used 20 years ago. It was a 6-shell pump action, but I'm not 100% sure about the barrel length—it looks like it might have been an 18" barrel.

Last edited by kivinik; 02-16-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default or

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14184...e-pump-shotgun

Carried one of these on my back for a two day fly fishing trip, never knew it was there, my version of pepper spray....lol

Slip into something like this and your good to go...

https://www.amazon.ca/VooDoo-Tactica...002B5OW7Y?th=1

It was nice having something so light, small and works great.

Another consideration.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2024, 11:06 AM

Get a decent pump action with a full stock , no need for a pistol grip. Personally, I would look for an old Wingmaster, with an 18-20" barrel. I also don't care about a magazine extension, if you can't get the job done in 5 shots, you probably won't get it done in 8-9 shots.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:35 AM

One more vote for Benelli Supernova. Forget the noise makers and rubber slugs and find some Brenneke style slugs.

https://www.theshootingedge.com/cpro...-3|4%60%60-1oz
Old 02-16-2024, 11:39 AM

I work in the Arctic in the summers. Used to live/Work in northern BC. Former BC Bear/moose guide, current Bush pilot... etc etc.

My advice. 12ga pump, 18" barrel, full stock, from a REPUTABLE maker. no turkish nockoff BS. 12ga slugs. none of this bear banger or birdshot first nonsense. a slug fired over the bears head or near it is a bear banger. Nothing like having birdshot or a banger in the pipe when you need lethal force immediately.

I Carry a Mossberg Mariner 18" with some slight mods in the helicopter now, Enlarged safety to work with gloves, light mount, mesa side saddle. pump shotguns are simple things and it's easy to teach your crew how to operate one if needed. The tang safety of a Mossberg is FAR easier to use with thick gloves then a trigger guard button safety. the main selling point for me. the shotgun has been 100% reliable through 100's of rounds in training.

If it's a real spicy area I take the 375H&H or my .450 lever.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:39 AM

Regardless of what you buy , spend some time shooting it under pressure. All the firepower in the world means little if you can’t hit your target when your guts are churning and your heart is racing.

I’ve never encountered a polar bear but I am guessing you won’t have a lot of room for error. I’m guessing the rubber slugs will only tick him/her off

Last edited by jungleboy; 02-16-2024 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:51 AM

Some good points made about accessories snagging.

I have both a light mount and a side saddle on my bear gun. The light mount is very low profile, and when i'm in the Arctic summer, this gets removed as it's not needed. 24hr daylight has it's perks.

Side saddles are usually used to keep extra ammo handy for the tactical folks. I use it a bit differently. THe firearm is stored behind the seat in the machine unloaded, but when it needs to be deployed in a hurry i don't want to have to grab a second item. Sidesaddle lets me just grab the gun and have 6 rounds read to load in one motion. Slings snag on stuff, and i've never liked the slings that carry ammo. they get heavy and make the gun awkward to deploy and swing.

Bear events can happen FAST. You want to minimise the mucking around as much as possible.

Last edited by jungleboy; 02-16-2024 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivinik View Post
Here's a picture of me from my younger days up in Nunavut, trying to look tough. I'm holding the shotgun we used 20 years ago. It was a 6-shell pump action, but I'm not 100% sure about the barrel length—it looks like it might have been an 18" barrel.

That's a (vintage ?) Winchester 1200 Stainless w/18" bbl... I wanted one badly when I was in my 20's, loved that high-polished look !

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/winch...-11812626.html

Old 02-16-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Regardless of what you buy , spend some time shooting it under pressure. All the firepower in the world means little if you can’t hit your target when your guts are churning and your heart is racing.

I’ve never encountered a polar bear but I am guessing you won’t have a lot of room for error. I’m guessing the rubber slugs will only tick him/her off
For sure on the practice thing. The crew I'll work with practice shooting and do pressure drills in the event of a surprise encounter.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
That's a (vintage ?) Winchester 1200 Stainless w/18" bbl... I wanted one badly when I was in my 20's, loved that high-polished look !

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/winch...-11812626.html

Wow, good eye!
Old 02-16-2024, 03:42 PM

If weight is a concern a Beretta 1301 tactical is only 6.3 lbs. that’s what I would be packing.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:13 PM

Chiapppa makes a nice shortlever action shotgun looks almost like the one below
https://www.chiappafirearms.com/prod...se-45lc-12-bbl
Old 02-16-2024, 04:52 PM

That chromed 1200 looks a lot like a 2200 I had as my first 12 gauge when I was 14. That shotgun had nothing but problems with jamming, and if I ever needed it for defense, I probably would just use it as a club. On the other hand there are a ton of old winchester model 12's on the used market for very cheap, and they NEVER seem to have any issues. I've owned a half dozen of them and they would be at the head of the list for what you are looking for. If you like you can shorten the barrel, and possibly the stock, add a sling, and you're done. Very cheap. VERY dependable. If you want something lighter the same shotgun in 16 gauge would fill the bill even better.
That would be my first choice but a Rem 870, or Ithaca 37 would do the same. I just had a quick look on Can gun nuts and there's a nice little model 37 16 gauge for $400 that would work perfectly, (but I'd have a tear in my eye shortening the barrel).
Old 02-16-2024, 05:47 PM

Just throwing this out there. Have you considered a 45/70 in 16-18" barrel like a Marlin 1895? Stay with iron sights for quick target acquisition at bear distance.

Those levers are more compact than a 18" shotgun with full buttstock. You can work a lever as fast or faster than a pump.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Ithaca model 37 pump, have the barrel trimmed to 18.5" and a bead put on it. Still one of the best all round defence guns. Ejects out the bottom, so good for left or right hand, and if you hold the trigger down and pump the action, it will slam fire if you want it too. Very robust built gun that rarely ever has feed or function issues. If you want a quality modern gun, hard to beat the Benelli. Come in Semi auto or pump.
The 37 is a very good gun. The newer models had a disconnect in them so you could not “ slam fire “ but had to release the trigger between shots .
Old 02-16-2024, 08:15 PM

Ive never been around polar bear but have been really close to grizzly with a 300 mag and bear made my 300 seem pretty small.
1897 or 1912 Winchester trench gun would be kind of cool. I used to hunt quite a bit with the 1897 regular version barrel when I was a kid.
If it was me and if it was for polar bear I would want a rifle.
Old 02-19-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
That chromed 1200 looks a lot like a 2200 I had as my first 12 gauge when I was 14. That shotgun had nothing but problems with jamming, and if I ever needed it for defense, I probably would just use it as a club. On the other hand there are a ton of old winchester model 12's on the used market for very cheap, and they NEVER seem to have any issues. I've owned a half dozen of them and they would be at the head of the list for what you are looking for. If you like you can shorten the barrel, and possibly the stock, add a sling, and you're done. Very cheap. VERY dependable. If you want something lighter the same shotgun in 16 gauge would fill the bill even better.
That would be my first choice but a Rem 870, or Ithaca 37 would do the same. I just had a quick look on Can gun nuts and there's a nice little model 37 16 gauge for $400 that would work perfectly, (but I'd have a tear in my eye shortening the barrel).
My first shotgun was also a Model 2200, what a piece of crap! I got good at disassembling it frequently.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
Just throwing this out there. Have you considered a 45/70 in 16-18" barrel like a Marlin 1895? Stay with iron sights for quick target acquisition at bear distance.

Those levers are more compact than a 18" shotgun with full buttstock. You can work a lever as fast or faster than a pump.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
I love the 45-70, and have for years, but for 30 yards and under there is effectively no difference in stopping power between it and a slug. A 45-70 shoots a 405 grain bullet at 1500 FPS, a 12 gauge slug is .725 diameter, at 1500 FPS and weighs from 450 to 650 grains. Where you see a big difference is killing power at 75 yards and further, which is not usually a consideration in a bear defence gun. Big advantage to shotguns is you can get legal ones with a 12 or 14" barrel, as long as it comes from that way from the factory or is a factory barrel, you just can't cut a barrel that short, and collapsible stock. Makes a much more compact rig.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-20-2024 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:46 PM

Default Win 1200/1300

Also crap.....jamo-matic get a Ithaca 37 then have the barrel bobbed and a bead installed. Screw rubber bullets and bangers ..... Brennekes and 00 buck
Yes I have quanties of those nice German slugs.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:29 PM

Handy is important and no 40 yard shots either. I've got a Turkish 12" pump that fits the bill, with our weird firearms laws , that's entirely legal. Didn't break the bank either.

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 02-20-2024 at 05:35 PM.