Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-10-2023, 06:33 PM

Default VPA Broadheads

I’m planning on hunting with VPA 125s this year. They shoot perfectly with the tune on my bow. Curious about experiences with them… shot a moose with a thunderhead 2 years ago and lost a blade… reliability is big for me. How do folks find edge retention, penetration and whatnot?
Old 08-10-2023, 07:48 PM

From my experience I would say they’re best in class. I’ve owned and killed with the NAP hellrazor, Magnus snuffer and snuffer SS and the montec. I would put the VPA ahead of Magnus and NAP and so far ahead of the G5 Montec I wouldn’t even consider it a contender.
I’ve got several 150 grain VPA’s with multiple kills and they’re easy to spin test, sharpen up and put back in the quiver. I’ve never bent or broken one and that includes the VPA two blades I’ve owned as well.
Penetration has always been through and through but I shoot a heavy setup. Blood trails depend on what’s hit and where like any other but they are as good as any other three blade with a comparable cut. I shoot the 1-1/4” and never found them to close up.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:08 PM

I've got the 3 blade 175 grain versions for my recurve but curiosity got the better of me so I screwed them on to the arrows of my compound and found that they shot fantastic out to 80 yards. The best shooting fixed blades I've had In that bow by a long shot.

I hunted with them last season and shot 2 deer. The first was at 52 yards and after passing through the arrow piled into some gravel. I thought it was a goner for sure but a couple minutes on the stones brought it right back up to shape. The next day i shot a second deer but i messed up a total gimme shot at 23 yards and center punched the heavy leg bone and absolutely shattered it. Unfortunately the arrow deflected down and didn't poke into the ribs so I eventually had to end it with a second shot when I caught up to that deer later. That was a good lung shot that put it down in a hurry.

All that to say, they fly great, seem to penetrate great, and they are super tough. I will definitely be using them again this season. My only complaint was that there really wasnt much of a blood trail to speak of on either deer, however I was hunting in snow so it really wasn't hard to track them down. I've shot mechanicals for years and I guess I had maybe just expected all animals to bleed like they do when you stick a 2+ inch head into them.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:02 PM

That’s great input thank you!