Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2009, 12:24 PM

Default tried smoked walleye

A friend stoped by and shared a vac-pack of smoked walleye, first impression was this is increadible but after a few bites the texture got to me it was a little rubbery? is there a way to prevent that from happining? Im thinking of doing some up (few trips to buck) but ill stick to trout and salmon if it always ends up like that. Also he caught the walleye in Pigeon when all those white were dying from that algae bloom, could that affect the walleye?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM

Walleye, pike, & perch are lean fish, whereas the trout family, salmon, & whites are considered fatty. The fat in the flesh keeps the smoked product from getting rubbery. Walleye, pike & perch are best eaten fried or grilled, leaving the others to be smoked, or however else a person might like them.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Goldeye are good smoked.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:58 PM

May of been oversmoked as well, i have smoked alot of walleye where it is still flaky. I think it is one of the better fish to smoke
Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
May of been oversmoked as well, i have smoked alot of walleye where it is still flaky. I think it is one of the better fish to smoke
My buddy heard (a little late) you can lay some bacon slices on the walleye during smoking and the fat helps the fish, my question is would the smoker get hot enough to cook the bacon? if not woulden't eating raw bacon/fat make you sick?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Oh, never tried or even heard about anybody ever doing the bacon. Not sure if it would cook.

Depending on the size of fish and thichness, usually 3 hours at about 200 degrees (nothing less) puts me pretty close.

I am curious as to what temp and time your buddy did his
Old 08-22-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
Oh, never tried or even heard about anybody ever doing the bacon. Not sure if it would cook.

Depending on the size of fish and thichness, usually 3 hours at about 200 degrees (nothing less) puts me pretty close.

I am curious as to what temp and time your buddy did his
not sure what temp but its a big chief smoker I know this because I borrowed it to do up some brook trout, I smoked them for 7-7.5 hours turned out great.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
not sure what temp but its a big chief smoker I know this because I borrowed it to do up some brook trout, I smoked them for 7-7.5 hours turned out great.

I think the first time i smoked walleye, which was more of an experiment. Was scared to pull them out too early, i think i smoked them for about 41/2 to 5 hours. Those ones turned out rubbery, so each time after that i kept the temp the same and knocked 1/2 hour off each time.

Think i got it close to where i like it now, and like i said before about 3 hours, put's me pretty close. Temp i key though, if the big cheif doesn't have a termostat i would buy one of those cheap oven ones. Smoking is alot of fun, but also alot of work. I would also keep logs written down on time, temps, number of fish and keep these records to keep improving.

Just a guess, but if your buddy smoked his walleye for 7hr, that is the reason it went rubbery