Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Default Fishing with kids

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on what type of tackle, methods to use fishing with kids. I have spent years fly fishing and recently promised my 5 year old nephew I would take him fishing. I plan to meet up with him and the rest of my sister’s family in Jasper in about 10 days. We will likely stick to some small trout lakes in and around Jasper (pyramid, valley of the five lakes, wabasso etc) and won't have a boat.

So….what is the best method, tackle to use for a 5 year old that has never fished before. No bait allowed in the parks. I have a small casting rod already. Is it better to cast out a bobber with some type of lure, or cast and reel in a small panther marten, or something else entirely? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks!

Hip
Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Try going to the little bridge on the far side of Pyramid Lake. Give him a little wet fly with some splitshot and have him simply drop it into the water. There's usually a bunch of 3-5 inch trout/splake hanging around there that will bite. The fact that you can see them (as long as its not super windy) is a bonus for kids.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:42 AM

I'm assuming you've got a spincasting rod, and not a bait casting rod. A spincaster is certainly the easiest for kids to use.

I think it is best to cast out a bobber. Kids often have pretty short attention spans, and some of the kids (nephews) I fish with find it really boring to repeatedly cast and reel in. Your 5-year-old may decide pretty quickly that he doesn't want a bobber . . . and in that case go without it. Just let him be your guide after the first couple of casts

We usually let the kids use whatever lures we're using . . . which can be expensive I lost five raps to one tree in one day. If you're going to be using expensive lures, you might want to get some cheaper ones that are similar for the boy to use (until he's proved his casting ability).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Default jasper lakes

You can rent boats from online at most of those lakes. You could try trolling flies on sinking lines if you have them. A sure bet would be to hit talbot for some jack, throw a frog out in the weeds and see what happens, im sure that would get him excited. I used to spend a lot of time at beaver lake, it is on the way to maligne. It is a short walk in and there are boats there, the brookies are plentiful and eager to bite almost anything, I used to troll a fly on mono, spinners will work well too. It is a beatiful lake and you will catch fish, lots of them
Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
We usually let the kids use whatever lures we're using . . . which can be expensive I lost five raps to one tree in one day. If you're going to be using expensive lures, you might want to get some cheaper ones that are similar for the boy to use (until he's proved his casting ability).
Ouch, good call on that one. 5 Raps to one tree in one day? You can bet I'd be doing everything in my power to get up that tree by the end of the day if it were me!

Of course if it were me I'd also probably end up on my head!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. If I use a bobber, what would you suggest we use for a hook since I can't just put a worm on something (no bait allowed). Would a small fly work on a bobber, or a little jig?

"lambski" - Do you think we could fish Beaver lake from shore with any success?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Ouch, good call on that one. 5 Raps to one tree in one day? You can bet I'd be doing everything in my power to get up that tree by the end of the day if it were me!

Of course if it were me I'd also probably end up on my head!
The tree was a huge sweeper, and it just wasn't possible to get out to get the Raps without a boat

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhippocket View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I use a bobber, what would you suggest we use for a hook since I can't just put a worm on something (no bait allowed). Would a small fly work on a bobber, or a little jig??
I'd use a jig with a twisty tail.

Also, I try to make sure the kids aren't using tackel with lead in it. There's no telling what may wind up in their mouths. I've met one person who used to chew on lead split shot as a child. Even stinking their fingers in their mouths can be dangerous after handling lead. Some think I'm a little too cautious in that regard, but with all of the "lead paint in toys" stories that show up on the news I like to limit lead exposure as much as possible.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhippocket View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I use a bobber, what would you suggest we use for a hook since I can't just put a worm on something (no bait allowed). Would a small fly work on a bobber, or a little jig?

"lambski" - Do you think we could fish Beaver lake from shore with any success?
I'm not lambski but I didn't mention Beaver because it might be tough for a 5 year old to catch fish there sans bait. A good way to shore fish there is to cast small spinner or spoons into the brookies (you can often see them). I'm just not sure an inexperienced 5 year old will be able to succesfully get a spinner/spoon out to them without a fair amount of practice (he might get bored by then).

Actually the stretch of the Maligne River between Maligne and Medicine lakes is open in August. You could give me a fly/bobber combo there and let him fish some of the little edge pools - always good for a few small ones. About halfway between Medicine and Malgine is a little turnoff to a picnic/rafting area. Right at the the turnoff if you look out on the river toward Maligne Lake, you'll see a sizeable pool where the river curves - there's always fish in there.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Only bit of advice I can offer (from experience) is to make sure you have a rod that FLOATS !!