Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Default Skunked at Chain and PCR!

Went to PCR Friday night just to discover it was full so we had to head to chain lakes.
Woke, up and went fishing by the shore at Chain Lakes and nothin for a couple hours. Decided that all the kiddies were making too much commotion so decided to head back to PCR.
Tried 3 different spots. What's with all the sediment on the shore?
Caught nothing. I thought this lake was supposed to hold a crapload of hungry fish?
We didn't stay too long.
I took my buddy fishing who hadn't gone there at all.
Used everything. Crankbaits, jigs, spinners, etc.
I was shocked at the shoreline and how 4feet out it was just brown.

I'm beginning to believe I need a boat sooner than later?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:37 PM

Did you use bait? Usually you catch one after another there. I wonder what's up.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:15 PM

if yer not gonna use bait try big bright green wooly buggers about 2 feet behind a weight and slowly drag it in after casting..
Old 07-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Default Not possible!!!!!

We fished there all week last week and it was possible to catch 50-100 in an hour. Try a jig and smelt combo off the dock or in front of the campground or like me there is a honey hole just out front of the campground. If all fails try a great video done at PCR by lady Mcgyver and you will learn all the magical techniques to succeed there.
http://www.wfn.tv/adopt/view.php?entry=352
Old 07-25-2009, 07:15 PM

hahah dont forget the hockey stick!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:09 PM

Default Huh ??

Can't be. Dude even ScubaSteve gets fish down there. He He

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 07-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Jeff yer so evil...lmfao
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 PM

There were boats beached everywhere on the shore, and the shoreline was just sediment from 4 to 6 feet out.
Didn't try the dock since there were always people swimming, boats coming in and 2 people there already.

The only thing I didn't try was bait.
Although I used simple jigs with black gulp minnows(3")
I saw one boat catch a couple but they were soooo small. Maybe 12-15".
Plus we went in +30 weather during the middle of the day, so that doesn't help.

We tried under the bridge, until kids decided jumping off it, then went to a spot on the other side of the highway, then went in front of the campground.
Of all the people I noticed on the shore, I didn't see hardly any fish being hauled in as one might expect given the hype.

There was alot of problems my buddy and I had that weekend, so I think the odds were against us.

Im going to find a boat and go next time.
At least the drive to chain lakes was nice.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:34 AM

Default Pcr

Those so small 12-15 inchers are all that is in there so get used to catching them. Just be ready for moby pike if you get lucky....
Old 07-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Can't be. Dude even ScubaSteve gets fish down there. He He
Seems to me that you got out fished by me last week

Anybody can catch fish at pcr
Old 07-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Default Sorry

Sorry Beazer but things are not looking good for you around here..............Even Steve says so......
Old 07-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Was ther yesterday evening. Lost count of how many we caught! Can't believe anyone would be skunked there! Even the kids were catching a bunch!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Those so small 12-15 inchers are all that is in there so get used to catching them. Just be ready for moby pike if you get lucky....
Hahahahaha, what a joke, no wonder I caught nothing.
Most my Rap's are probably too big for them(3,5,8"), and we stopped using jigs after the 2nd hour.

They can't all be that small. That's like fishing for guppies lol.

Maybe I'll try the dock next time for ****s and giggles, wonder if I could catch that big pike. There's gotta be some decent sizes at least.

Quick Question: Is beefheart allowed at PCR?

If I have to resort to a pickerel rig at this lake I'm quitting fishing.lol.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:09 PM

I fished PCR this weekend, of course only getting there Thursday morning at dawn every frikkin campsite was reserved, I think the MD should check and if there are no people in the unit give them a ticket and tow them, its not fair. some people are too far to drive 3 or 4 days early and leave a trailer. Im surprised a lot of them dont get broken into, since its like a ghost town til the weekend!!!!!!
As for the Walleye, a jig of any kind with a small piece of smelt off the dock is a guarantee, theres no way you CANT catch them in there. There are 2 sizes (since I cant say cla sses), about 12 inches and 18 inches from 2 different stockings.
I fished beside an old timer Saturday on the dock, he was a commercial fisherman for 30 years, told me he has caught a lot of pike in his time, and he swears theres one under the dock that goes at least 30 pounds. I believe him, had a few of mine eaten off the hook. I had a smaller one, maybe 10 pounds at my feet the whole day, he would follow my fish in and hit them, not bite just run into them, I think he was bored

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-27-2009, 02:51 AM

Well 18" ain't too bad I guess.
Sounds like I was just fishing in the wrong spots. Plus my buddy is unlucky as hell.
Do you tend to go with the 1/4oz jigheads, and just grubs or do you guys stick with dbl tails like most jiggers?

I'm huge into battling pike so I wanna nail those "apparent" big ones by the dock.

PCR is pretty quiet on the weekdays I can assume then?

Anyone know of a good sized Pike lake around the area, maybe 1 hr away?
My buddy says Strathmore but it's a pit of pollution. But then again maybe they have mutated!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 AM

Default tip

I know we all have our own way but easiest that catches us our bucket loads every day:
Jig head as you suggest , we use pink, lime green or orange. Go to Stupidstore and get a bag of smelts. Cut them into thirds and put a piece on the jig. They go at it every time. Don't have too much smelt or it is harder to catch. It works in the winter as well for burbots there but use the whole smelt instead of a small piece.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beazer View Post
Well 18" ain't too bad I guess.
Sounds like I was just fishing in the wrong spots. Plus my buddy is unlucky as hell.
Do you tend to go with the 1/4oz jigheads, and just grubs or do you guys stick with dbl tails like most jiggers?

I'm huge into battling pike so I wanna nail those "apparent" big ones by the dock.

PCR is pretty quiet on the weekdays I can assume then?

Anyone know of a good sized Pike lake around the area, maybe 1 hr away?
My buddy says Strathmore but it's a pit of pollution. But then again maybe they have mutated!

Get yourself a really light rod, like a Berkley "Lightning Rod", 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig head and you'll have a blast catching those little fish. It does 'eventually' become a bit redundant after your 100th or so fish...

You'll have a hard time with the Pike unless you use a REALLY big smelt or a really nice Walleye patterned Plug as that's basically ALL they eat at PCR. There's not a TON of pike in there but there are many of them in the 5lb + range and a number 'well' over 20lbs.

You can also try at the very SOUTH end of the lake from the shore. There's a few really nice holes there that are easy to get at and one of them is RIGHT at the Beach Day use Area as it's nice and deep there with a short cast....

PCR used to be 'DEAD' during the Weekdays but it's a bit busier now, especially when the weather is hot. I remember going there in the middle of summer on a Sunday and being on of the only boats in the water.... Not anymore.

For a Pike lake, you're going to be 'hard pressed' to find anything within an hour of Calgary. 1.5 to 2.0 hours is where you'll be able to Choose from MANY great lakes and reservoirs that have VERY large fish in them. If you've fished PCR, then 'Clear Lake' is only a few Klik's in the opposite direction (Just EAST of Stavely) and contains some VERY nice Pike.

Here's a few more that are within that 2 hour range:
Sylvan, Pine Lake, Gull Lake, Travers Reservoir, Crawling Valley Reservoir, McGregor Lake, Badger Lake, Keho Lake, Snake Lake, RED DEER River, Bow RIVER, Etc, etc...

Although many of these lake 'Can be fished from shore', I really don't recommend it. You CAN find some great spots from the shore but definitely NOT all season due to water fluctuation. Honestly, I would HIGHLY SUGGEST you go and buy a boat. You WILL be VERY happy that you did as your fishing opportunities will increase 100 FOLD !!

Don't discount an Inflatable either ! A decent 12' footer will allow you to go ANYWHERE on any of the lakes (providing you have a small engine) but will also allow you to do some VERY COOL FLOATS down the Red Deer and Bow Rivers ! Those are some of the most Enjoyable fishing trips you'll ever have. Super peaceful and Great Scenery with FANTASTIC fishing ! Also, don't forget that an electric motor in the 50lb area will push an inflatable ALL DAY LONG and will allow you into all of the 'Pothole' lakes quickly, safely and easily.

Hope some of this helps you out a bit...

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 07-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Much appreciated Floppy Chicken.
I knew i wasn't doing things wrong, maybe I'm just used to tossin weight at Snakes in Sask.

I plan on getting a 13ft Zodiac with a electric motor to start and then upgrading to a bigger maybe 15 or even a 25 hp if it can handle it.

Until then it's the shore and them weeds for awhile.

Noticed alot of what I believe to be purple loosetrife at PCR. Anyone concur?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Banned

Talking

[
I fished beside an old timer Saturday on the dock, he was a commercial fisherman for 30 years, told me he has caught a lot of pike in his time, and he swears theres one under the dock that goes at least 30 pounds. I believe him, had a few of mine eaten off the hook. I had a smaller one, maybe 10 pounds at my feet the whole day, he would follow my fish in and hit them, not bite just run into them, I think he was bored [/QUOTE]

RB,. next tim e you see that guy, ask him if his name is John.. if it is he works as security out at Cargill Foods.. and he did catch a good sized pike the day i was there at the dock with him..

So.. with that, i will say by for now..
Tight Lines Yaall
RedHeadedFisherman
Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 PM

i was at pcr this weekend and they seemed a bit pickier on the color of jigs than usual. people all around me near the bridge were getting nothing with orange/red and i went 30 mins with green with nothing. as soon as i put some white single tails on they were snappin them up like usual. might have been the water color, its been pretty dirty, so try white next time if you are still having trouble