Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Banned

Default Bullets and weatherby freebore?

My brother just picked up a mk v 7mm wby mag that I'll be reloading for. Because of the freebore on the weatherby rifles would I want a longer heavier bullet or in the grand scheme of things does it really matter? I was thinking of loading some 160 gr Barnes but maybe I should go heavier and longer.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:04 PM

A heavier bullet will offer no advantage, because you won't be able to seat them anywhere near the lands anyways. It will just add recoil, and more bullet drop.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 PM

I would shoot it first with the bullet you like like then go from there ,
You may be surprised
Cat
Old 02-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Default Wetherby

When i first started loading for a wetherby cal i was told they tend to like flat bottomed bullets over boat tails i dont know how much truth there is in that but the 2 i have loaded for i have found that to be the case could just be a coincidence but thats where i would defiantly start on the next one
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Banned

Ok thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Banned

Would you guys suggest I load to mag length or stay with the book length?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A heavier bullet will offer no advantage, because you won't be able to seat them anywhere near the lands anyways. It will just add recoil, and more bullet drop.
I was figuring I heavier bullet might stabilize better by being longer and more surface area in the rifling.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I was figuring I heavier bullet might stabilize better by being longer and more surface area in the rifling.

If anything, a longer bullet is more difficult to stabilize.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 PM

With both of the Mark Vs I have had, I did my load development with an oal that comfortably fit within the mag box and posed no feeding issues. It was very easy with both rifles to find an accurate load.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
With both of the Mark Vs I have had, I did my load development with an oal that comfortably fit within the mag box and posed no feeding issues. It was very easy with both rifles to find an accurate load.
Ok thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
My brother just picked up a mk v 7mm wby mag that I'll be reloading for. Because of the freebore on the weatherby rifles would I want a longer heavier bullet or in the grand scheme of things does it really matter? I was thinking of loading some 160 gr Barnes but maybe I should go heavier and longer.
Great cartridge and very underrated in my opinion.
Im somewhat recoil sensitive but I still enjoy hunting moose and elk with the 7mm bee.

I reload 154gr interbonds with H1000. Fast and very hard hitting out to 500 yards IME.
Not sure why but it seems to shoot flatter than the velocity suggests it should.

Have fun!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I concur.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:19 AM

Default Bullets and weatherby freebore?

Quote:

I agree with this. As for the Barnes bullets the 160gr TSX will have marginal stability in a 1/10 twist in warm weather, probably insufficient in cold temps, also it does not have a tip, I have read they do not reliably expand with out the polymer tip. (Assuming your Weatherby is a 1/10) There is a 168gr LRX but it calls for a 1/8 twist. So next best with Barnes is a 150gr TTSX. I have them loaded for my 7mm rem mag, not the best BC but good if your not stretching out your shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinGuy View Post
I agree with this. As for the Barnes bullets the 160gr TSX will have marginal stability in a 1/10 twist in warm weather, probably insufficient in cold temps, also it does not have a tip, I have read they do not reliably expand with out the polymer tip. (Assuming your Weatherby is a 1/10) There is a 168gr LRX but it calls for a 1/8 twist. So next best with Barnes is a 150gr TTSX. I have them loaded for my 7mm rem mag, not the best BC but good if your not stretching out your shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am currently using the 150gr TTSX in my 7mmstw, and I have used the 140gr TTSX in other 7mm stws and in a few 7mmremmags. The B.C. is not great, but they are accurate in my rifles, and they perform very well on game. The 150gr ABLR did not shoot at all well in my 7mmstw. As for my Mark V rifles, I loaded to fit the magazine, and lived with that , even though neither rifle would consistently shoot better than moa. I had the 257wby rebarreled with much less freebore, and it became a 1/2moa shooter.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:12 PM

I shoot an old pre 64 Winchester 70 in 300 wby mag (originally a 300 H&H) It has a throat of nearly 1inch and shoot ridiculously well . I shoot either IMR-7828 or IMR 4831 and 180 gr Nosler SB (old solid base .Wish they still made them instead of the ballistic tip)It shoots the Barnes 168 equally as well.

Choose the bullet you want and try it in your particular rifle
Old 02-25-2017, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I shoot an old pre 64 Winchester 70 in 300 wby mag (originally a 300 H&H) It has a throat of nearly 1inch and shoot ridiculously well . I shoot either IMR-7828 or IMR 4831 and 180 gr Nosler SB (old solid base .Wish they still made them instead of the ballistic tip)It shoots the Barnes 168 equally as well.

Choose the bullet you want and try it in your particular rifle
Those are the powders I was figuring on using to. Might try imr 4350 as well.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Those are the powders I was figuring on using to. Might try imr 4350 as well.
I don't have a 7 but both my 270 and 300 bees like the 7828. My brother has a 7 and shoots rl22 with 150 ballistic tip.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 PM

im not in favour of using heavy for caliber bullets, i prefer the lightest possible rounds to achieve ultimate velocity and acceptable accuracy
i have a ron smith gain twist pipe on my wby257 without any freebore. i was kinda opposed to it but he talked me into it at the last minute!
when i was reloading with the factory freebore i just measured off of the factory rounds as a starting point and added or deleted from there. the results were obvious and immediate.
i had moderate success with imr 4831 and moved to imr7828ssc and never looked back.
im regularily pushing 100gr barnes triple xxx at 3750fps and have had the chrony to 3900+ as well.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31