Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Default Remington 770 Poor Quality!

A good friend of mine picked up three Remington 770 rifles in .308 for his students. He loaned one to me to check out and I think Remington has dropped the ball on this rifle. To begin with, the stock is made out of plastic and the sling swivel attachment on the forend broke off when we attempted to attached a bipod. We took the action out of the stock to see if a bipod could be mounted with a re-enforcement backing plate in the barrel channel. You would have to get a dremmel tool and cut out the ribbing that runs along the centerline under the barrel channel in order to attach a backing plate.The rear of the action is made of some plastic material and is very fragile.
The recoil lug is a metal bar and is a part of the stock that slides into a slot on the uinderside of the barrel. Bedding bolts are both in front of the magazine well housing and in my opinion not far enough apart. ie: one in front of the magazine and one behind the trigger assembly. He contacted the Remington Canadian representitive at the repair facility (In Quebec City) and was told that the front sling lug wasn't designed for a Bipod! In my opinion, the rifle is a very poor design and not worth the money.
The barrel is good quality and the trigger seems to be sharp and crisp. I think you would do alot better buying some other model of rifle other than the 770. If I were to rate this rifle on a scale of 1 being the best and 10 being the worst, I would have to give it a 7 or 8. this is just my opinion and not everyone will agree.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:19 AM

I toatally agree with you on the rating, the model 710 was the same. I found the 770's action to be very sticky/gummy. I shot one in 270, the trigger felt like it was going to snap before the rifle fired. I also think that they dropped the ball.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:03 PM

i looked at a 770 bout a year or two back.. Yah needless to say I thought it was a joke.. Ended up walkin out on the salesman.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Ever since they brought out the 710, we have been saying,

"Friends don't let friends buy 710's".......

That goes for the 770 too.

Junk. Walmart rifle. Remington made them to appease someone, but the whole thing has been a failure.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:24 PM

absolutely garbage! Any of the 710's or 770's. It would be far better to buy an older gun second hand then these. That said I know of a few people that swear by them oh sorry I mean swear at them
Old 05-02-2010, 09:07 AM

There must be literally thousands of posts online just slamming the 770.

I firmly believe that the internet is a great place for researching any gun purchase as there are a slew of sites that offer professional and buyers opinions. Anyone googling 'Rem 770 reviews' would be convinced within 5mins that its a bad plan without ever touching one!

Putting a 770 and (cheaper!) Savage/Stevens next to one another would also convince you without even picking the 770 up.

I have also heard of the bolt stop breaking and bolts coming out when you cycle the action?

Cheers
Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 AM

When I was shooting my buddys 770, after each shot the bolt would get tougher to cycle, almost like it was seizing. Needless to say we through it in the case and brought out the 700 and never looked back.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 AM
sheephunter

Believe it or not, it was a step up from the 710.

What huntinstuff said!

There are so many better rifles in that price range.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Here's my thoughts on this. I can't believe that the bigwigs in the Rem HQ aren't aware of the problems surrounding the Remington 770. Surely they aren't that stupid in believing that the Joe public won't backlash against their company. We all Know that Remington has or had a fine name synonomous with Quality firearms for many years. They must be aware of the damage a bad rifle like the 770 can do to their reputation.
What, I wonder, are they going to do to alleviate their problems or are they going to stick their collective heads in the sand?
Old 05-02-2010, 06:51 PM

I would wager than 90% of 770's are sold to owners who shoot a box of shells a year at most, who aren't gun nuts and unless something actually breaks on the rifle they will happily use it to shoot a deer or two per year.
The backlash is probably the minority of rifle geeks who bought one as truckgun/loaner or to see how there were and who are now disppointed (or the few that broke in the first few uses!)
Old 05-02-2010, 07:19 PM

I am not tottally 100% sure on this but what i heard was that remington tried to really cheapen things up on a mass production half assed rifle!! The 710 and so called better 770 are a sign of the times pump out 50000 rifles 10000 are complete junk but 40000 so called happy customers do not complain, as long as theres profit ,the big wigs do not care!! We die magged a 710 after 40 rounds and the barrell looked like a california road map but somehow between the bolt ceasing and the clip falling out it actually held 1 " groups at 100 yards!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

Being as to how o the actions are married to the barrels, I'say that they are not safe to shoot.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Being as to how o the actions are married to the barrels, I'say that they are not safe to shoot.
yep i agree!! these rifles are worth more at the scrap metal yard than any type of resale value!!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:00 PM

This is not good to hear.

So this is the company that owns Marlin now? I guess we'll have to watch very carefully the progress of production quality on the new Marlins... IF they continue to be built.

If Remington puts their name on the 710 and 770, I'm not at all convinced they'll do much better by the Marlin trade name. Changes in production location, changes possibly in materials... design...? We need ongoing feedback on this front as time passes.. I just got my first Marlin during the winter, before the buyout, I think... certainly the gun was made before the buyout. There was a good chance it would not have been my last, I like the one I got a lot. Hundreds of years ago, my first rifle was a Remington .308, and it served me well. I had always thought of Remington as being a good basic rifle... a baseline to test lesser and better products against. But now?

Need input!

-Frank
Old 05-02-2010, 08:10 PM

The new marlin xl7's are completely fine. I bought one last year and am very happy. It is pillar bedded, has a target crown and fluted bolt, I had to free float it but it is a very well built rifle. I can shoot .5MOA at 300 yards with it. At 100 yards the groups are under a half inch. I have zero complaints.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLance View Post
This is not good to hear.

So this is the company that owns Marlin now? I guess we'll have to watch very carefully the progress of production quality on the new Marlins... IF they continue to be built.

If Remington puts their name on the 710 and 770, I'm not at all convinced they'll do much better by the Marlin trade name. Changes in production location, changes possibly in materials... design...? We need ongoing feedback on this front as time passes.. I just got my first Marlin during the winter, before the buyout, I think... certainly the gun was made before the buyout. There was a good chance it would not have been my last, I like the one I got a lot. Hundreds of years ago, my first rifle was a Remington .308, and it served me well. I had always thought of Remington as being a good basic rifle... a baseline to test lesser and better products against. But now?

Need input!

-Frank
Rumour has it as I read on this board a short while ago that Remington was going to close the Marlin factory. What does this mean? Perhaps that they are going to produce the likeness of a Marlin lever in their existing factory. Either way, those of us that own real Marlins should probably hang on to them. I'd hate to see a lever gun made using the current Remington quality or lack thereof.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

I have a remington Model 30 express action attached to a burnt out 30-06 barrel. I'm going to rebuild that rifle. I'm thinking of a 270 or a 25-06 for a barrel. I'm not too positive on this, but I was told years ago that the model 30 action was the action that remington got it's great reputation from. It's also a civilian version of the Enfield P17 action. Too bad they're ruining something that took them decades to build up.
A good friend in Colorado says that he has a number of these actions and he says that they are tack drivers! Even if they are Big, strong and ugly!!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I would wager than 90% of 770's are sold to owners who shoot a box of shells a year at most, who aren't gun nuts and unless something actually breaks on the rifle they will happily use it to shoot a deer or two per year.
The backlash is probably the minority of rifle geeks who bought one as truckgun/loaner or to see how there were and who are now disppointed (or the few that broke in the first few uses!)
x2 . thats what they were intended for not the guys that shot a couple hundred rounds a week.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Banned

This morning, I fired off an Email to Remington explaining my predicament. I'm curious to see their responce. When I get it, I'll post it for all to see.
This may be interesting.