Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Default Sako question pls help

Hi im looking to buy my first high power and was looking at the sako 85 7mm synthetic stainless can you get a rem mag? also on the sako website when you look at the details about a gun what do the action abbreviations stand for? example s,sm,L,
Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criketts View Post
Hi im looking to buy my first high power and was looking at the sako 85 7mm synthetic stainless can you get a rem mag? also on the sako website when you look at the details about a gun what do the action abbreviations stand for? example s,sm,L,
The Sako 85s come standard with a detachable magazine. The 7mm holds 4 plus 1 in the chamber.

S = short action (.243, 7mm-08 etc...)
SM = (win) short magnum
L = full length (300win, 7mm rem etc...)

SAKO website "S and M models available also with short barrel with thread (calibers 338 Federal, 8x57IS, 9.3x62 and 9.3x66 M15x1, other calibers M14x1) at the muzzle for muzzle brake or suppressor assembling."

I assume this would be the MT designation on their spec sheet.

Have a look at this link if you haven't already. http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85SyntheticSS.pdf

Excellent choice of gun & manufacturer, however if any of your friends/family have a 7mm I would suggest shooting a few shells through it first to get a feel for the cartridge. The 7mm is an awesome caliber, however if you haven't shot a lot of high power it may not be the best starting point for you.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:09 PM

If you decide to go with a stainless synthetic Sako 85,there is also the option of the Finnlight to consider.The Finnlight is available in 7mmremmag,and it is lighter to carry,but that lighter weight also results in more recoil.Personally I prefer the standard weight stainless synthetic,but I am just letting you know that there is a lighter weight option available.I actually find the recoil of the standard weight Sako rifles to be milder than some other manufacturers,but then again,the Sakos do tend to be a little heavier than some of the other guns.In either case, certain Sako models can be a little harder to locate,and the prices vary a bit depending on the dealer,so you may have to shop around to get the best deal,and find a rifle in stock.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-02-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Default sako question pls help

Ok thank you for the information i seen on the web site there is a sako synthetic stainless rem mag L i think ill try to find that. i know wholesale sports will order them but i have herd it can take a while to come in
Old 05-02-2010, 05:36 PM

If Wholesale Sports doesn't have one in stock,don't hold your breath waiting for them to get you one.In fact,I would just call Clay at Prophet River Firearms,and have him save you some time and money.His prices are less than most other dealers on most products.I just bought a Sako 85 Stainless Laminate Varmint from him recently,and his price was $250 less than Wholesale Sports.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM

Sweet rifle pick for sure. I LOVE MY SAKO - m75 rifles.

A good place to look also would be the Buy/Sell here on AO or the EE on CGN. Seen a few 7mm RM in Sako m75 and m85 rifles.

You may find a great deal on a used MINT Sako m75 or m85 rifle, and put the money saved into a GOOD scope.

JMO
Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Guess what I just found in the Buy/Sell here on AO:

Sako m75 7mm

Not a bad deal IMO.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criketts View Post
i want to thank everyone for there help i did find a sako 85 syn stain and i am happy to say i did buy it.
tyvm
chris
Old 05-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats