Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2010, 10:59 PM

Default Shotguns

Alright forgive my ignorance here guys but I was wondering how well some of the short barrel defender style shot guns such as the Mossberg 500 persuader or the Remington 870 would work for bird hunting. I wanted to get one for my fishing and camping trips in the wilderness simply for protection, I know the area where I like to go has a high bear population and do not want to be caught unprepared should a bear decide I would make a afternoon snack. However I was thinking about going duck or maybe grouse hunting when the season opens up and wondering if i should buy 2 guns or could one be used for both purposes. Keeping in mind most of the year it will be carried for portection so I want something fairly small and light. Secondly if anyone has any sugestions on which model to buy as this is the first shotgun that I will own and clearly know very little about them.

thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 11:08 PM

I own a older model 870,for duck/goose hunting it has treated me well.
The gun has to be 35 years old and has yet to have any issues,its been a very reliable shotgun.
Check into what barrels you might be able to get for the 870,you might get a rifled for bears,and smooth bore for birds

Hope this helps
Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_flyer View Post
Alright forgive my ignorance here guys but I was wondering how well some of the short barrel defender style shot guns such as the Mossberg 500 persuader or the Remington 870 would work for bird hunting. I wanted to get one for my fishing and camping trips in the wilderness simply for protection, I know the area where I like to go has a high bear population and do not want to be caught unprepared should a bear decide I would make a afternoon snack. However I was thinking about going duck or maybe grouse hunting when the season opens up and wondering if i should buy 2 guns or could one be used for both purposes. Keeping in mind most of the year it will be carried for portection so I want something fairly small and light. Secondly if anyone has any sugestions on which model to buy as this is the first shotgun that I will own and clearly know very little about them.

thanks
get yourself an 870 Express, and two barrels - a short one for when you ar camping, and a longer one for duck hunting.
The shorter ( 18.5) WILL work for ducks and such, the problem is the choke, I don't know if they make the shorter lengths with a screw in choke system or not.
I suppose you cold shoot a slug out of a barrel with a fixed improve cylinder choke, and use if with steel for ducks, but the longer barrel will track better for you when hunting ducks.
Cat