Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Default scope questions - Zeiss and Cabelas

I have a few questions about rifle scopes:

1) Basic question: Do scopes have threads so one could put on a filter like the way that camera lenses have? Most camera guys toss on a UV filter to protect the glass from scratches etc. Would be nice if scopes had same feature?!?

2) Anyone ever order from Cabelas. The prices are nice, about 200-300 cheaper for mid range scopes, but I wonder if you pay much import duty on the shipment? Anyone have experience buying mail order from Cabelas?

3) Zeiss conquest scopes come with a variety of reticles. Is the Rapid-Z 600 worth the extra bucks over the #20 Z-Plex? I am looking at 3-9x40 and this will be for a .270 or 30-06. I was thinking that I would put a Bushnell 3200 on, but since the prices aren't too much more at Cabelas for the Zeiss it looks like a sweet deal.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

As long as it is Cabelas Canada you are ordering from you are good to go.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:22 PM

Cabelas USA will not ship riflescopes to Canada.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 PM

Cabelas USA adds on a taxes and duty that is calculated in the shopping cart before you pay. It also tells you if you can or cannot send things to Canada. I have found that most times it is still cheaper paying the brokerage and duty fees and ordering from Cabelas.com rather then Cabelas.ca. This might not be always the case but is worth checking out as it only takes a few mins.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Why won't they ship scopes to Canada? Is that a warranty issue or is it a government issue? I think I might just hop in the car and take a vacation to Post Falls or Billings
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Why won't they ship scopes to Canada? Is that a warranty issue or is it a government issue? I think I might just hop in the car and take a vacation to Post Falls or Billings
You do realize that U.S. federal export laws require that you obtain an export permit from the U.S. authorities in order to export firearms,firearms parts and components,ammunition,reloading components such as bullets,brass,primers,powders etc.?

If you are caught at a checkstop on the U.S. side of the border trying to export any of these items without an export permit,you face stiff fines,confiscation of the goods,possible confiscation of your vehicle,as well as being barred from ever entering the U.S.A. again.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Default Zeiss Conquest

I am pretty sure P & D has the 3 x 9 x 40 Conquest on sale for $ 499.00.
At that price I don't know what reticle options are available.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;579244]You do realize that U.S. federal export laws require that you obtain an export permit from the U.S. authorities in order to export firearms,firearms parts and components,ammunition,reloading components such as bullets,brass,primers,powders etc.?

[QUOTE]

I was aware that was the case for firearms, ammunitions and firearm parts and ammunition components, but I was not aware that optics were included in that list. Seems kinda absurd to restrict optics exports. Well in that case I guess I will have to get the scope here. Nothing like getting fleeced in your own country!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
[I was aware that was the case for firearms, ammunitions and firearm parts and ammunition components, but I was not aware that optics were included in that list. Seems kinda absurd to restrict optics exports. Well in that case I guess I will have to get the scope here. Nothing like getting fleeced in your own country!
Definitely absurd but nothing to do with Canadian law........
Old 05-04-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Definitely absurd but nothing to do with Canadian law........
No, I realize that, but Canadian prices have everything to do with Canada and they too are absurd!!