Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Default Canadian Firearms Institute sent an update on c391

The Bill has gone to the Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security and hearings begin in mid –May or earlier. The Committee consists of 12 MP’s with six Conservatives and 6 opposition MP’s.

Conservative MP and long time firearms advocate Garry Breitkreuz is the Chairman, but does not have a vote - giving the opposition the majority in the committee.

The Canadian Firearms Institute has made a formal request to appear as a witness and present a brief to the Committee. The opposition controls the committee and are actively trying to limit the number of witnesses.

An informed Ottawa source expects the firearms community to be shut out as witnesses.

When it comes back to the house.... Will it pass? Nobody knows.

Mr. Ignatieff is whipping the vote; all Liberal MP’s are forced to toe the party line or face sanctions. It is unlikely any of the eight Liberal MPs who supported the bill on second reading will vote for it on third reading.

Even if all Liberal MPs are whipped, present and accounted for, and the BQ again votes no, it may not be enough to defeat the legislation.

The NDP says while it supports the registry, they will allow their MPs to vote their conscience on private member’s bills.

If the 12 NDP MP’s, mainly from rural ridings continue to represent the wishes of their constituents and continue their support and vote in favour on the third reading there may be enough votes to pass.

If it passes third reading it then goes to the Senate probably in the early fall for approval and will face all kinds of hurdles in the Senate.

The wild card! With a minority government there could be an election called at any time before Bill C-391 clears the Senate effectively killing the Bill. So who knows.

The firearms community, in support of Bill C-391, has been mobilized and been more effectively than they have ever been in the past.

Continue to contact you MP and ask them to support Bill C-391.

Keep the pressure on. Keep those phone calls, e-mails, faxes and letters going.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Who knows what will happen. Harper should promise to take the money that is now wasted on the registry and throw it to the Canadian sacred cow (health care). Ask Canadians where they want their money to go, Healthcare or Social Engineering. I wonder how that will effect the support of the bill. I wonder how Ignatiaff will respond it.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM

Well the PC's can't do anything in Gov, due to opposition having the majority, if we give the PC's the majority in the next election then we can get things done in this country. just my rant.

Now let every Liberal politician know we don't want this BILL.
They might listen if they don't want to toll the party line with MR. I did not live in Canada for most of my life but I'm here now and want to run this country into the ground, Ignatieff.:t ongue2:

Have to go now Vancouver just scored, and now scored again, woho.