Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-09-2023, 10:20 PM

Default Broadheads

I wanted to share an interesting experience with broadheads tonight. My bow has been tuned and shooting excellently with field points and great groups at 70-80 yards. Had a friend help and we Did some bare shaft tuning prior to getting out this far, and was getting no tears, nice straight holes.

Trying fixed blade broadheads over the past while and I couldn’t get any to stick with my field points until I got to the Montec G5. Only shot to 40 due to where we were, but they were bang on.

Others tried were muzzy, slick tricks, thunderheads, toxic and I believe one other. I also have some grim reaper mechanicals that shoot really well, but was hoping for fixed blade.

I found it interesting how some can fly significantly different than others. I’m sure if I was more up to speed on tuning, I am sure that I could have made some others work, I just didn’t want to start messing with stuff when it was working so well.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:41 AM

Did you do a spin test on all the broadheads with each arrow to ensure they’re spinning true? A slight wobble can effect the outcome downrange even out of a well tuned bow!
Old 08-10-2023, 06:00 PM

I know the thunderheads and slick tricks are vented… any difference with the montées? Maybe it steers better due to air through the blades? We’re you grouping with broadheads, just not aligned?
Old 08-11-2023, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom0983 View Post
I know the thunderheads and slick tricks are vented… any difference with the montées? Maybe it steers better due to air through the blades? We’re you grouping with broadheads, just not aligned?
They were grouping similar, but about a foot left.

The montec is vented quite a lot more, not sure why the difference, but found it interesting.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
Did you do a spin test on all the broadheads with each arrow to ensure they’re spinning true? A slight wobble can effect the outcome downrange even out of a well tuned bow!
I did not do a spin test. Something good to know.

I did find one of the montecs was out on target, and threaded it into another arrow and it seemed to fly a lot better. Interesting how a small alignment change compared to the vanes helps.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:09 AM

Form also matters a lot more with fixed blade broadheads, spin tested arrows, good form, and a tuned bow and most well made broadheads will fly for you.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
I did not do a spin test. Something good to know.

I did find one of the montecs was out on target, and threaded it into another arrow and it seemed to fly a lot better. Interesting how a small alignment change compared to the vanes helps.
There it is

You will find out very quickly that there’s a whole bunch of variation even when using ASD prepped arrows, precision machined outserts and good quality broadheads

It’s normal to switch a broadhead through 2-3 arrows before finding a perfect match that spins true