Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2022, 09:34 AM

Default Winchester 94 in 32 Special

Hey guys-opinion question...

The same calibers/gauges/actions have more or less turned my crank ever since I got into shooting. Small game and varmint hunting came next, so most big game (and definitely old-school) calibers have been a bit of a blind spot for me. Never really a need for them, and rising costs have me staying in my lane more than ever.

However, last year, I was at a buddy's camp up north...and got a chance to shoot his newest acquisition, a Winchester 94 in 32 Special. Bought it off a local guy near where he lives. My buddy isn't a "gun guy", they're hunting tools, and hunting tools only. He bought the rifle with a small ziploc bag of ammunition.

I don't have many centerfire rifles, but with one exception, the ones I have are modern-production varmint guns with big scopes on them, about the opposite of an old..open-sight 94 in 32 Special. However, shooting it was a great deal of fun. Has me wondering if I should get one..

I know I don't have to have a "need" for a given gun/caliber ahead of buying one, where's the sense in that? lol However, I am interested in knowing what the general consensus is on the caliber today, and, if any of you use it as your go-to?

I do reload, but since that's mostly been limited to .223, 204R, 17H...I'm still using the small/original press I started with-an RCBS Partner. I might move the bench resizing 32 SP cases. lol
Old 03-23-2022, 09:44 AM

Pretty good recent discussion along exactly those lines that I thought you might find helpful.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=Special
Old 03-23-2022, 10:34 AM

Ive owned several 32's.

I found them exactly like a 30-30. Except harder to find ammo.

If you reload and have ample brass, and the gun is priced right, you will be in good shape

But it seems the 32 might go the way of the do-do bird....I see no advantage other than it being a bit different and conversational. Kinda like a 300wsm and a 300 win mag......or a 300 win mag and 308 Norma....for hunting purposes, the diff is minimal
Old 03-23-2022, 10:50 PM

The .32 'not' Special cartridge has been obsolete for about 75 years, but it's definitely an effective cartridge for deer.

The Alberta record black bear was killed with a .32Spl fwiw.

Hopefully you never run into any grizzlies with it. They don't have a helluva lot of punch.

If the rifle is in decent shape and the price is good, it'll make a decent quad and walk-about rifle.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 03-24-2022, 08:05 AM

Winchester did a run of rifles just a few years ago. So, there are a few 'new' ones around too. Same as for the .25-35.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:47 PM

Cut it out guys! I've been thinking of selling a 94 in .32 and it doesn't need the bad press.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trochu View Post
cut it out guys! I've been thinking of selling a 94 in .32 and it doesn't need the bad press.
😅😅😅
Old 03-25-2022, 06:54 AM

Last winter I had a 32spl in model 94 that had been in the family for 110 years reconditioned. Took 10 brass pins in the stock as well as bedding the but stock to make it safe. Spent several hours to clean and restore the wood. Also had the rifle cerkoated and completely gone over by a gunsmith. I chronicled the work we did on it and am going to make an album for my son including stories from many of the users who harvested animals over the years.
I shot my first big moose with it (50 inch) around 1975 and it has taken many animals before and since. this rifle had not been treated well and before restoration was probably not safe to shoot given the condition of the stock being held together with electrical tape.

I think as previously stated the 32 is so similar to the 30 30 that it would be unlikely a moose or deer would know the difference. My son wants to hunt deer with it this fall and I think that is about the extend of this rifles ability given the rifling is getting worn out and probably a 50-100 yard gun at best.

Great piece of history for my family. Yes I did check with other family members before doing anything too change the appearance of it. The last 30 years of its life it had been written off as useless. So now at least it will still be around for awhile.

Non gun owners will never understand the memories and historical value of family heirlooms and the significance of how they fed many families over the years.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:23 AM

I can’t speak to the model/cal. But there’s two guns i regret not buying…a 94 trapper and a JM guide gun. Because I didn’t “need” them, had more efficient/modern guns, was already filling tags, etc. Both guns went away and old ones are stupid expensive now.

Rossi makes an excellent 92 copy which is a better fit for 357mag. The 94 is meant for longer cases like the 32 and 30-30. Miroku made winchesters are very good guns. Out of a 16 inch barrel they are about the same. Longer barrels benefit the longer cases.

Its about the perfect yard/truck gun- everything you might want to or have to shoot (except g-bears) inside 100 yards will be handled just fine.

Don’t wait, stupid in Ottawa plans to make it a lot harder for us all. If you want something, get it in the safe and stock up on ammo.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:51 AM

Default there's a cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIUS View Post
Last winter I had a 32spl in model 94 that had been in the family for 110 years reconditioned. Took 10 brass pins in the stock as well as bedding the but stock to make it safe. Spent several hours to clean and restore the wood. Also had the rifle cerkoated and completely gone over by a gunsmith. I chronicled the work we did on it and am going to make an album for my son including stories from many of the users who harvested animals over the years.
I shot my first big moose with it (50 inch) around 1975 and it has taken many animals before and since. this rifle had not been treated well and before restoration was probably not safe to shoot given the condition of the stock being held together with electrical tape.

I think as previously stated the 32 is so similar to the 30 30 that it would be unlikely a moose or deer would know the difference. My son wants to hunt deer with it this fall and I think that is about the extend of this rifles ability given the rifling is getting worn out and probably a 50-100 yard gun at best.

Great piece of history for my family. Yes I did check with other family members before doing anything too change the appearance of it. The last 30 years of its life it had been written off as useless. So now at least it will still be around for awhile.

Non gun owners will never understand the memories and historical value of family heirlooms and the significance of how they fed many families over the years.
Re-barrel with take off in 30-30 or get it re-bored to 38-55 good for another 100 years.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:54 PM

Default I need a LIKE button for Julius commment

Man did he hit the nail on the head.. No matter how much we personally think of a gun in any caliber it is such a special feeling to carry an old family heirloom.