Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 08:07 AM

Default BWOs

Hi all,

I have been fishing our central Alberta rivers quite a bit lately and have been targeting overcast days with precipitation (there haven’t been very many!) to track down some BWO. I so far have been unsuccessful. I have ran into little winter stones, skwalas, early caddis flies and a couple of March browns. Has anyone else seen any BWOs flying around yet? A friend of mine came across quite a few on the Bow River 10 days ago, but it was a fairly nice day.

I’ve only ran into BWOs once last year in the rain. I’m also new to central Alberta, mainly fishing stillwater up north the last few years. I started tying seriously just over a year ago and am having a lot more fun on rivers this year as a result (mainly because of the browns I’ve been catching .
Old 05-02-2021, 09:56 AM

I can confirm BWOs on the Bow on Saturday. And it was a nice day too.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:05 PM

Thumbs up BWOs

They have been very noticeable the last week on the Bow but very sporadic rises and nothing will any regularity...... on the other-hand fishing has been good particularly for Browns
Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 PM

There tends to more BWO hatches during overcast and rainy days.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 05-03-2021, 06:26 PM

Well out fishing today and finally came across some BWOs. The hatch was quite minimal and the Duns quite small (I.e. approximately size 22). I was able to land a few in three pools (single riser in each pool) right before the rain. Once the rain was really on, the hatch hit its peak. it was short lived (10-15 minutes) and I worked a single pool with 4-5 different fish. They became highly selective at that point and I had a couple rejections on my BWO parachute (#16) and emerger (#18) which had landed the earlier fish. I was a little more focused on the fish, but I didn’t see many duns on the water or air besides a couple. Not many bugs but the fish were definitely taking advantage. Will be tying up a few smaller emergers tonight!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:45 PM

If there are skwala's popping, I wouldn't be too concerned about the BWO's. And neither would the big browns :-)

just my 2 cents