Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Banned

Default Ever pass up a shooter?

Have you ever passed up an animal because it was too easy?

I did this morning. 4 bull moose, 1 cow, had my choice of the bunch but chose not to shoot. I was driving to my buddies place to hunt, drove right up to the 5 moose, got out and ranged them at 45-55yds and they could care less about me.

I've got my bull draw and I've seen over 20 bulls so far this season. I have no doubt I'll get one whether it be with my bow or my rifle but it just didn't feel right today even though I was on private land where I had permission and 2 of the bulls were shooters for sure. I could have even used his front end loader to load it on my truck!
Old 10-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Have passed up bull moose in the past and then at the end of the season while eating tag soup wished I would have pulled the trigger. I hope this isn't the case for you.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:07 PM

Yes many years ago passed up on a dandy white-tail buck while moose hunting. Didn't want to shoot as I had a moose coming to my call. The moose held up wouldn't come in and mr. WT was gone as well. Tag soup as I recall.

BW
Old 10-20-2017, 06:09 PM

Never...I have a minimum and stick too it be it the first or last day.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Banned

I hope I don't live to regret it, but I really don't think I'll have a problem. If I had a rifle in my hand I could have taken a moose every trip so far, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to at the very least get a meat bull.

A trophy whitetail is one thing I don't think I could ever pass on though.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:13 PM

No.
If it's legal it ends up living in my freezer for a while.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Banned

ALl the time pass up countless 140-150 deer looking for the “one”. I will never hang a tag on one less then 130” I’ve passed on lots due to seeing them while driving and it’s not fun hunting to me is about the challenge
Old 10-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Once. Never again. I'm an unabashed meat hunter.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 PM

I’m in the same camp as Whitetail Junkie. I set the min and stick to it these days. I always try and have a target buck but fandoms do show up so contingencies must be in place prior to. I passed on a high 170s 4x5 Whitetail three times one season. Twice with the bow. I was hunting a bigger buck strolling around the same area. Tag soup that fall which is part of the game. I killed that 4x5 with archery tackle the following year as a 4x6 that went 166”. I was still super happy but not likely would I make the same choice again. There would have to be something stupid big around to repeat my previous decisions.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Passed on a few big mulies looking for a giant and regretted it later. Passed on a whitetail a few years back and then really looked at him on my cameras, big mistake...
Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM

OK, I gotta ask. If someone passes on 140 - 150, or whatever bucks to get a big one, why would they shoot a 135, which may have potential to get big, rather than a 110 - 120 if they were just shooting it for meat at that point. Not to be critical but just curious. I've done the same but just shot the first buck that came by after the last minute of hold-out, regardless of it's size. Two of my best bucks were shot for meat on last day and later measured 155 to 160.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 PM

I hunt to be successful, and I find I am more old school meat hunter type, than a trophy hunter. No matter what species I hunt. As long as it is a legal animal, I tend to shoot the first one that gives me the opportunity. If you're in wmu 242, and need help removing a bull moose from your private property, I'm more than willing to help you out!! As I'm hoping to take my first moose this year. Honest, I don't mind!! Lol!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Banned

Shot some stuff I wished I wouldn't have...
Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Shot some stuff I wished I wouldn't have...
Same here.

On the other hand.

I've not shot some big animals that I kind of wish I had.

With hindsight, I think I remember these animals with greater fondness than those that I did shoot.

There is something satisfying in counting coup.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-20-2017, 08:16 PM

I passed a legit 175, 5x5 typical whitetail twice only because he was traveling with a 200 plus inch non-typical. In this case the risk was well worth the reward!!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Passed a nice 300 class 6x6 bull elk at 36 yds with the bow a couple years ago so buddy could maybe get a crack at him .. he wasnt gonna be around to hunt for a couple years so I let the bull walk . Buddy shoots an even bigger bull a week later .. who knew ? lol .
Old 10-20-2017, 08:17 PM

Never regretted a single tag I ever put on an animal, and passed up the largest Mule deer buck I have ever seen because the irons covered too much of its body.
My hunting buddy asked me if I regretted not talking my scoped rifle and it was a flat out " NOPE! if I wanted to I would have"
"Make the decision and enjoy life" I always say, shooting something then regretting it because of a maybe or what if is not what hunting is about
Cat
Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Same here.

On the other hand.

I've not shot some big animals that I kind of wish I had.

With hindsight, I think I remember these animals with greater fondness than those that I did shoot.

There is something satisfying in counting coup.
X2 man. been there many times. Seems more big ones got away than little ones that didn't though.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

A trophy whitetail is one thing I don't think I could ever pass on though.
That's what I'm hunting 90% of the time about a 9 hours drive from my home,so knowing exactly what's in the area is always a mystery.no chances if it's something with decent head gear
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 PM

I don't get enough time in the field to pass on game. If I get an opportunity I'll be taking it. I want the meat
Old 10-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Banned

I buy a tag every year 'cause it gives me a reason to be 'out and about'. haven't tagged a w/t tail for years but never miss a year hunting them.

passed up 3 antelope bucks bedded @ 150 yds today, then another later in the afternoon. I've got some nice mounts in the man cave, so if I can't get anything better I just go out and enjoy nature.

................'yotes are a different matter completely! wifey thinks i'm nuts.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:28 PM

Twice, and I ate the tag both times. One whitetail buck on the first day, one bull moose on the second day. Will never, ever, EVER happen again.

That moose hunt is my version of your (Kurts) monster whitetail that got away - the situation that haunts my hunting life. I had the same thoughts, tons of permission, moose everywhere, I'll have my pick. After the first one I passed on, saw lots but could not get a shot with a bow and they evaporated during rifle season, didn't see a single live bull all November.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:24 AM

I had to pass a Trophy Whitetail the first year I bought my land as it was not in a safe position to shoot there was a house a mile away in line just couldn't do it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 07:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If it doesn't feel right then that's all part of the choice, we are not hungry or there would have been critters on the ground many times...son had two bull moose last year bed 20 yards from his tree stand...would have been his first moose with the bow but he said it was just nice to see them socialize and chew twigs...
image.jpg
This is him this year...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2017, 08:58 AM

I was hearing from a few hunters about a very large bodied deer and rack deer they spotted the od time ,and they told me to try and get him.So I waited till all the small lakes froze and that he would head for the big lake that stayed open for a few more weeks.

I jumped him twice in ten days until one morning I came across his track and knew where he was headed,and I had a nice heavy wind and started to walk the ridges where I knew he bed down

I came up onto a ridge and there he was laying down 150 yards away and I slowly made my way up to until he stood up at 15 yards and he just stood there looking straight at me and I was sizing him up and he was more than a shooter,but I lifted my scope on him and put the rifle down and said to myself got you and shouted at him to get,he was a perfect 180 class deer ,heavy 5x5 a with body that was unbelievable.

My hunt was accomplished and did what I set out to do was to find that one deer in a large area and get up close to really take a good look at him which I planned on shooting,the only part that never happened was putting him down.

I think about it often,but I just decided don't shoot this guy and maybe he was bigger in rack because of body size,but it's just a rack and seen plenty in my life and smile to my self ever time I am in that area looking for other deer he may have made to be even bigger.

Last edited by JD848; 10-21-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If it doesn't feel right then that's all part of the choice, we are not hungry or there would have been critters on the ground many times...son had two bull moose last year bed 20 yards from his tree stand...would have been his first moose with the bow but he said it was just nice to see them socialize and chew twigs...
Attachment 138906
This is him this year...
That pic is almost identical to the bull I passed on yesterday. I've seen about another 15 moose so far this morning, most were cows and calves but there was a couple bulls around 36" that would have been easy pickins.

Now that it takes about 5yrs to get an archery or rifle bull tag in my zone I'd rather hold out for a 4+ year old just for the couple hundred pounds of extra meat.

If I had limited time in the field I would have had my tag filled long ago but I have a few trips left yet, I still have all rifle season to get er' done.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I would agree with that.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That pic is almost identical to the bull I passed on yesterday. I've seen about another 15 moose so far this morning, most were cows and calves but there was a couple bulls around 36" that would have been easy pickins.

Now that it takes about 5yrs to get an archery or rifle bull tag in my zone I'd rather hold out for a 4+ year old just for the couple hundred pounds of extra meat.

If I had limited time in the field I would have had my tag filled long ago but I have a few trips left yet, I still have all rifle season to get er' done.
Shoot straight!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Never...I have a minimum and stick too it be it the first or last day.
This. Although I have been fooled a few times.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I was hearing from a few hunters about a very large bodied deer and rack deer they spotted the od time ,and they told me to try and get him.So I waited till all the small lakes froze and that he would head for the big lake that stayed open for a few more weeks.

I jumped him twice in ten days until one morning I came across his track and knew where he was headed,and I had a nice heavy wind and started to walk the ridges where I knew he bed down

I came up onto a ridge and there he was laying down 150 yards away and I slowly made my way up to until he stood up at 15 yards and he just stood there looking straight at me and I was sizing him up and he was more than a shooter,but I lifted my scope on him and put the rifle down and said to myself got you and shouted at him to get,he was a perfect 180 class deer ,heavy 5x5 a with body that was unbelievable.

My hunt was accomplished and did what I set out to do was to find that one deer in a large area and get up close to really take a good look at him which I planned on shooting,the only part that never happened was putting him down.

I think about it often,but I just decided don't shoot this guy and maybe he was bigger in rack because of body size,but it's just a rack and seen plenty in my life and smile to my self ever time I am in that area looking for other deer he may have made to be even bigger.
That's a great story great stuff right there.

GOT YOU!