Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Thumbs down Disappointing experience with Expedia and Delta

https://www.delta.com/
https://www.expedia.ca/
A warning about Expedia and Delta, take it for what it's worth.
On September 8th I flew with a buddy to LA to go fishing. I booked through Expedia and flew Delta. It was fantastic. There were no issues on the way there, it was actually the most comfortable I have ever been on a flight, even with a layover on the way there and back. We loaded our Tuna and Yellowtail in coolers we bought from Costco. When we got to the airport and weighed the coolers we were way over, which we knew we would be due to the bags of ice we had just put in, over the black plastic garbage bags holding our frozen fish. The Baggage ladies told us to dump the ice on the street, leaving 3 coolers packed with tuna, yellowfin and a couple ice packs in them, all weighing right at the max 50 lbs. We taped the coolers up and marked them, paid and checked them. When we arrived in Edmonton after a few hour stopover we loaded the coolers in our trucks and drove home, this was about 1am. Before I even got home my buddy called, said he had fish missing. 3 bags out of his 6 Tuna were gone, and when I checked my 2 coolers almost all of my yellowtail and 2 tuna were also gone. To buy that much fish here would be over a grand easy.
I called Expedia and told them the story. They of course blamed Delta. Delta called me back a month later after making me file a complaint online and send in all supporting documents. Their response was;
"it is unfortunate that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion." Apparently paying them to actually give my possessions to me when they land are 'expectations' that they are sorry about???
Also, they said that the fish may have stunk or leaked so they may have been removed, 'so we are unable to give any compensation'. This is complete crap, the fish were frozen like a rock, and on top of the loss whoever stole them added bags of ice to make up the weight!!!! I dumped 4 bags weighing 7 lbs each out of my 2 coolers, and remember I dumped my ice on the street! Some bastard in baggage handling called a buddy to bring bags of ice, where they stole my fish and loaded ice in. There is no other explanation.
Delta threw us under the bus.
Expedia was driving the bus and didn't stop or slow down when they drove over us. I am disgusted by these companies. They didn't even offer a couple coupons for baggage compensation. Be wary when you book. This happens all the time I have since found out and nobody cares.
By the way yes I enjoyed the trip immensely, it was worth the cost, but we both paid $210 USD for the boat trip for tuna, $90 USD for the coolers, $100 USD for fish processing, $80 USD for checked coolers, $200 USD for the yellowtail trip fuel, we paid a lot to bring home a little.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-19-2017, 02:57 PM

That takes some balls to do that but I bet the scum baggage dudes knew there would never be any repercussions. That really sucks to lose out on those fish feeds and $$$$ spent.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Considering they usually have everything , and everyone on camera from the time one pulls into the parking lot, it’s pretty tough to believe they can’t say exactly what happened... More like they know the cost to fight them will be so high vs. the value of lost contents, that most drop it ... Maddening when they have you on camera from the time you step out of the vehicle, until the plane is in the air, but can’t tell exactly where your fish went... unfortunately happens all the time...
Old 10-19-2017, 03:28 PM

It sure makes a guy wonder what exactly you have to do to protect yourself from predation from these lowlifes. I have talked to my insurance company and just this instant switched my VISA to one that offers travel flight baggage insurance, time to be more proactive on the next trip I guess.
Claymores in the cooler would show who the lowlifes are.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-19-2017, 03:33 PM

When I shipped my frozen halibut and chinook with Air Canada, was in a styrofoam cooler, frozen to -40, then packaged in a perfectly fitted cardboard box and packing taped heavily.....you almost need to make it so much trouble that they can't be bothered to take the time to steal from you. Sad story Ken.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
Considering they usually have everything , and everyone on camera from the time one pulls into the parking lot, it’s pretty tough to believe they can’t say exactly what happened... More like they know the cost to fight them will be so high vs. the value of lost contents, that most drop it ... Maddening when they have you on camera from the time you step out of the vehicle, until the plane is in the air, but can’t tell exactly where your fish went... unfortunately happens all the time...
I doubt it's a conspiracy involving the company to get some free fish for employees. It would be far more valuable to the company to try to resolve the issue and get rid of the thieves.

Not sure what the solution is other than what what TC said. Like around your home or vehicle ....make it too much of a pain to steal your stuff. I doubt you can ever get a thief to grow a conscience.

Frustrating for sure.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-19-2017, 03:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

This is united, instead of delta......but pretty funny how they turned it on the airline who didn't give a shoot. And probably made some good money doing it.

How are you at song writing Ken? Because it seems you need to go to this level to get them to accept responsibility.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
When I shipped my frozen halibut and chinook with Air Canada, was in a styrofoam cooler, frozen to -40, then packaged in a perfectly fitted cardboard box and packing taped heavily.....you almost need to make it so much trouble that they can't be bothered to take the time to steal from you. Sad story Ken.
We taped the hell out of them, but they break locks and open suitcases anyway. I am sure if I used cable and made it impossible to open they would smash it open 'as a security concern'.

I still say a claymore in the cooler would be the best answer.

Boom poof pink mist no more thief. Happy ending.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We taped the hell out of them, but they break locks and open suitcases anyway. I am sure if I used cable and made it impossible to open they would smash it open 'as a security concern'.

WOW! they must be pretty special fish if you would plant a mine in your luggage. I support the death penalty but I'm not so sure I would for stealing fish

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM

Airlines screwing over customers seems to be a story the media really wants to pick up these days... David Dao, 3rd kid getting bumped, I've read a few in the last couple months.

I think the only way to get action is to shame them into it. Get this all over social media, contact CBC Investigates, on and on.

Probably not worth the trouble but I don't think there's anything else you can really do.

PS - I'm sure there's a joke in here about airlines cramming people in planes like tuna into cans....
Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 PM

Default another warning about expedia

Sorry to hear about your stolen fish.

Not quite the same, but here's another warning about Expedia. We were in Victoria in May, ready to fly home, when our flight was cancelled due to high winds in Alberta. We decided to fly home the next day rather than waiting at the airport for a possible flight that would probably also be cancelled.

So, I did a quick online search for a hotel and booked with Expedia to get the best price. When we arrived at the hotel about 20 minutes later they had not received our booking from Expedia. It took a couple hours and a few phone calls to get the booking to the hotel so we could check in. Not impressed.

So if you're booking a room with expedia make sure you don't need to check in for at least 8 hours (what we were told on the phone).
Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

This is united, instead of delta......but pretty funny how they turned it on the airline who didn't give a shoot. And probably made some good money doing it.

How are you at song writing Ken? Because it seems you need to go to this level to get them to accept responsibility.
I saw that before! That's awesome!!

If I got half a verse in they would be throwing money at me to stop singing!!!

I know it's 'just some fish' but had I put my Talica II 16, my Boca 80, my Avet 2 spd all of a sudden it is a $3000 claim and Delta still says "aw, sorry, but we don't pay. Talk to your insurance company". Mind you if a baggage handler stole all that equipment they would maybe pick it up on metal detectors? Maybe a roll of nickels hidden in each fish bag?

I am totally annoyed because there is nfwih I can go back, and after all that trouble I don't even get to eat the fish I spent a hell of a lot of money to get. That was a lot of the point of going where we did, the ability to bring it home.

Lesson learned.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Banned

Did you purchase the flight with a credit card? Mine comes with baggage insurance.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Did they serve fish on the flight?
Are you sure you are that good of a fisherman?
Are there any baggage handler jobs opening up. I like fish.
Does a flight seem secure if items can get moved like that?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Well, I feel your pain, but I think a claymore may be a bit on the extreme side. A good paint ball mine, on the other hand, would sure make the culprits life interesting....

"Hey boss, I need to take an early break to get all this paint off my face and clothes...what? oh, er, I just, you know, it was, uh....(doing his best impression of Justin Trudeau during question period)...."

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-19-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
Did they serve fish on the flight?
Are you sure you are that good of a fisherman?
Are there any baggage handler jobs opening up. I like fish.
Does a flight seem secure if items can get moved like that?
no

Are you questioning my fishing or counting ability?

Try google, I don't handle hiring for the airports

yes,

I don't imagine it was the stewardess slipping down into the baggage compartment to rifle through luggage.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 PM

I should say- the thing that annoys me the most is the fact that they don't care. Not even a bit. Internal theft happens, and they do nothing.
I will get more fish, the broken cooler can be replaced, but not even a free baggage voucher?
Delta used to have great customer service.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
It sure makes a guy wonder what exactly you have to do to protect yourself from predation from these lowlifes. I have talked to my insurance company and just this instant switched my VISA to one that offers travel flight baggage insurance, time to be more proactive on the next trip I guess.
Claymores in the cooler would show who the lowlifes are.
Actually, if you travel with a firearm you legally have to put a non TSA compliant lock on your case. A paintball gun or an airsoft *can* be considered a firearm.

So that steel mortar case in the basement? Throw on a few hasps and use puck style padlocks, they won't be cutting anything off :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqtYfaILHw

Baggage handlers aren't allowed into them, they have to be checked by specific TSA inspectors and then the cases have to be locked up.

It is a small hassle but it can be worth it for the peace of mind if you really don't want something stolen.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Actually, if you travel with a firearm you legally have to put a non TSA compliant lock on your case. A paintball gun or an airsoft *can* be considered a firearm.

So that steel mortar case in the basement? Throw on a few hasps and use puck style padlocks, they won't be cutting anything off :P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqtYfaILHw

Baggage handlers aren't allowed into them, they have to be checked by specific TSA inspectors and then the cases have to be locked up.

It is a small hassle but it can be worth it for the peace of mind if you really don't want something stolen.
I don't think thiefs care if they aren't allowed into something.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:30 AM

In 2016 I booked a trip to Chicago from YEG direct on United on Expedia (paid extra to fly direct as there were several non-direct 1 and 2 stop flights to Chicago).

Prepaid everything - all good.

Got an email one day from Expedia saying that the carrier had rescheduled my flight from 3:14PM to 3:15PM. Wow. Big deal.

Two days later, I get a message saying that my flight plans had changed. I was now flying to HOUSTON, TEXAS with a 7 hour layover then off to Chicago. Draw that on a map. Edmonton - Houston - Chicago... Coming back was Chicago - Toronto - Edmonton. Toronto layover would have been 4 hours. These are big departures from the 3-4 hour direct flights I was expecting.

I called Expedia. They said that United had **cancelled** the flight. I said then refund the whole trip, because I can't do this non-direct bull... They wouldn't. I escalated. While on hold. I searched the trip again. Guess what? The 3:15PM flight was still listed, however it was now an AIR CANADA flight and seats were $1200 each.

Guess what? Although it was an AC flight - it was being flown by United Express!!!

It's all a huge swindle with multi-billion dollar corps at the controls.

I was Livid...

United wasn't refunding was the issue with Expedia.

I kept escalating until I got a VP at expedia to talk to a VP from United - who accepted my compromise which involved me driving to Calgary to fly direct to Chicago from there.

That was the best I could do.

Airlines - travel co's - they're all in it together.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 AM

I'm not sure the ire directed at Expedia is warranted. They are a discount ticket broker. I am assuming YOU picked the airline and flights, not them. If a flight is late, or the airline is incompetent, I'd never expect them to fix it or compensate me. If you booked through your local travel agent, would you expect her to compensate you out of her own pocket because the airline, say, lost your luggage?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm not sure the ire directed at Expedia is warranted. They are a discount ticket broker. I am assuming YOU picked the airline and flights, not them. If a flight is late, or the airline is incompetent, I'd never expect them to fix it or compensate me. If you booked through your local travel agent, would you expect her to compensate you out of her own pocket because the airline, say, lost your luggage?
I paid Expedia

edit-

I paid Expedia.

They said deal with Delta.

That's like buying a sandwich from Subway with bad tomatoes and being told I have to deal with the farmer. Or is it the Wholesaler? Or is it the trucking company?

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-20-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I paid Expedia

edit-

I paid Expedia.

That's like buying a sandwich from Subway with bad tomatoes and being told I have to deal with the farmer. Or is it the Wholesaler? Or is it the trucking company?
You will never get a bad tomato from Subway
Old 10-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
You will never get a bad tomato from Subway
haha first time I have smiled in this thread lol

Old 10-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I paid Expedia

edit-

I paid Expedia.

I'd say it's a bit more like buying a ticket to a Flames game through Stub Hub and slipping on ice at the Saddledome. Blaming Stub Hub would be ridiculous.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd say it's a bit more like buying a ticket to a Flames game through Stub Hub and slipping on ice at the Saddledome. Blaming Stub Hub would be ridiculous.
Except I didn't slip on ice, I was robbed. They went into my personal baggage and stole my personal belongings.

Again- paid Expedia. Doing what I do for a living, if someone gave me the circumsatances and Permission to Sue given the variables of Expedia, Delta, TSA and Baggage Handlers (union?) at the airports, if I were to file a Statement of Claim I would be filing against Expedia.

Time to step it up on Expedia.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Except I didn't slip on ice, I was robbed. They went into my personal baggage and stole my personal belongings.

Again- paid Expedia. Doing what I do for a living, if someone gave me the circumsatances and Permission to Sue given the variables of Expedia, Delta, TSA and Baggage Handlers (union?) at the airports, if I were to file a Statement of Claim I would be filing against Expedia.

Time to step it up on Expedia.
Expedia is an independent reservation agent for airtravel and car rentals.
their job is to book your reservation which they did.They are not responsible for your luggage unless you purchase the Expedia total protection plan which i guess you did not.
your fight is with the airline

i think Okotokian analogy is right but if it makes you feel better think of it this way if you bought your flames ticket through stub hub and got mugged at your seat at the area who would you comlpain to then.

mack
Old 10-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Banned

Who did the baggage handlers work for?

Custom agents? Was there anything else in there?

NSA?

Too much fish, not enough ice. Should of used a bigger cooler and sent it home a more expedient way. Emptying your ice out on the street should have been your first clue. How did you resecure the cooler?

It's always someone else's fault.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
It's always someone else's fault.
It's my fault that my personal belongings were stolen from my sealed cooler?
Was there anything else in there? Just what are you implying?

Emptying the ice, first clue?

We loaded them heavy in case there was a several hour wait prior to loading. It's Los Angeles. It's hot.

Last edited by lilsundance; 10-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

You exceeded the weight limit, had to go dump out the water in the street, the "taped" the coolers shut. Nice planning.

So now your cooler smells like rancid fish as it's hot in Los Angeles. That certainly doesn't set off any alarms for the custom officials or baggage handlers.

Does a cooler with sloshing fish and fish water count ?

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ial-items.html

Delta is not responsible for any perishable item that spoils or goes bad during its journey in cargo.

Last edited by lilsundance; 10-21-2017 at 11:16 AM.