Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 06:23 PM

Bump....for the guys with no sense of humour who can't take a joke...lots of real life jokes in here

LC
Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 PM

I was at a gun counter in Red Deer today looking through the display case when a fellow was speaking with the young clerk. The clerk asked if he had his PAL and he noted that he did not, but that it felt a bit insulting that he needed one considering the time he had spent in the Canadian Forces. The shopper went of for a spell from there and I admittedly missed a couple of his words, but I'm pretty sure he had immediately gone on to note he had been in JTF2 "before anyone had ever heard about it". The detail I am guessing was that he actually said JTF2 but the rest of the exchange with the young clerk sure seemed to indicate that was the case; noting governmental secrecy and the like. Of course the average JTF2 member always finds a way to bring up the fact that they're 'elite warriors' to every retail clerk they encounter! I believe that skill is taught in week 5 if I recall correctly from my time in the US Navy Seals and the UK SBS when I was on exchange from my time spent in the Ghurka's learning how to tie other soldiers boot laces together while they slept.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Banned

Not the gun counter but an ad from townpost.

"This gun has about 30 rounds through it. 25 through same hole and 5 within 1/2 inch at 100 yards outside no wind minus 20. (likely me flinching)"

300wm Sako

25 rounds through the same hole (the bore? lol)

We don't have a random funny thread so this was as close as I could find to be on topic lol
Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Default "good advice"

In the ammo section last fall at a store near manning drive.

Customer to young salesperson- " I am going hunting chickens this weekend and need some ammo for my 410, what do you suggest"?

Salesperson - Well what you need sir is this right here, it's the 2 3/4" #7 shot this is the ticket for them chickens. The salesman walks away to go give advice to others.

Me- I look over at the customer and said excuse me but what you need is the #4 shot, in 3" shell that is a better bet for those birds.

Customer - "Thanks buddy" "But I will stick to what the professional tells me to purchase not some random guy" He says theses 2 3/4" shells are better so that's what I'm going with.

Me- I laughed and said OK buddy but your professional referred to them as 2 3/4" when in fact they are 2 1/2" and they don't even make 2 3/4" for 410 but listen to that young fella I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. But you better get more then 1 $20 of ammo.

Customer- You're right and he walked towards the counter with 3 boxes LOLOL
Old 10-22-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAD40 View Post

Customer to young salesperson- " I am going hunting chickens this weekend and need some ammo for my 410, what do you suggest"?

Salesperson - Well what you need sir is this right here, it's the 2 3/4" #7 shot this is the ticket for them chickens. The salesman walks away to go give advice to others.

Me- I look over at the customer and said excuse me but what you need is the #4 shot, in 3" shell that is a better bet for those birds.

Customer - "Thanks buddy" "But I will stick to what the professional tells me to purchase not some random guy" He says theses 2 3/4" shells are better so that's what I'm going with.

Me- I laughed and said OK buddy but your professional referred to them as 2 3/4" when in fact they are 2 1/2" and they don't even make 2 3/4" for 410 but listen to that young fella I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. But you better get more then 1 $20 of ammo.

The salesperson may have been wrong about the shell length, but I would still choose his suggestion over yours for grouse. #7-1/2 is a far better choice than #4 for grouse, and you don't need 3" shells for grouse. In fact, there are far more #7-1/2 pellets in a 2-1/2" load, than there are #4 pellets in a 3" load, providing a far better pattern.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-22-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAD40 View Post

Nothing wrong with 2 1/2" 7's, nothing easier out there to kill then a grouse. And I would suggest to new hunters to trust the guy behind the counter before some random know it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinGuy View Post
Nothing wrong with 2 1/2" 7's, nothing easier out there to kill then a grouse. And I would suggest to new hunters to trust the guy behind the counter before some random know it all.

I much prefer the 2.5" to the 3" for most anything. The 3's just don't seem to pattern well and have a long shot string.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I think the point that was attempted to be made was the fact that the counter guy did not know that 410 ammo was not made in 2 3/4" length
Cat
Old 10-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Customer: Is a 300 magnum enough for deer?
The counter guy should have recommended a .460 Weatherby with hydra-shock hollow points.......
Old 10-22-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with #7s, unless you hate picking bb's and feathers out of your meat. I've never known anybody to shoot grouse on the wing with a .410, opting for larger shot makes more sense to me when you have a chance to take aim
Old 10-22-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
Nothing wrong with #7s, unless you hate picking bb's and feathers out of your meat. I've never known anybody to shoot grouse on the wing with a .410, opting for larger shot makes more sense to me when you have a chance to take aim
I have shot many ruffed grouse over dogs with everything from 12's to 410's and have always maintained that shot placement is the most critical thing when shooting any bird , shot size , choke and even gauge is secondary
However we are derailing this thread .....
Cat
Old 10-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think the point that was attempted to be made was the fact that the counter guy did not know that 410 ammo was not made in 2 3/4" length
Cat
And "notwithstanding" the fact there are thousands of .410 shotguns in use that will not accept/fire 3" inch shells , a fact the clerk and the expert chicken killer advice guy were probable both oblivious to ,,
Old 10-26-2017, 10:02 PM

I was in Bass Pro today and I noticed one fellow who was asking questions about whether some Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor match ammo would be OK for use on deer as he could not see any other selection in that chambering. As he was grilling the staffer present I happened to see some other 6.5 Creedmoor in Hornady Interlock and I handed the last two boxes over to him. The gent and his wife thanked me and a brief while later after I had wandered around he noted he had just got a deal on one or two guns and that the 6.5 was about 30 years old. This set off alarm bells as I knew that the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge was way newer so I asked him if it had been re-chambered / re-barrelled to 6.5 Creedmoor? He replied "Shouldn't a 6.5 fit?" I implored him to confirm what chambering he had and pointed out the 6.5 x 55 Swedish that were also on the shelf. Noting the Swede was well over 100 years old and the Creedmooor was only about 10 years old got his attention (I just looked that up to confirm and it was released in 2007). I hope the fellow got things sorted.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:05 AM

It is concerning how many people out there passed all the requirements to get their firearms license and still have no idea what they are doing.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
It is concerning how many people out there passed all the requirements to get their firearms license and still have no idea what they are doing.
I agree , but This isnt just a certified guy in firearms but everything in life it seems.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:37 AM

As a rank newbie who is taking my PAL this weekend, I am learning a ton reading this thread and all the discussions. Thanks to all that have contributed!

Gotta admit, I was a little nervous when I got to the end of the thread seeing if any of my recent rookie comments at gun counters would pop up. :-)

One thing I have to say is that this thread has confirmed with me the value of getting my PAL and buying my first rifle through my local independent gun store where the guys listen to what I am excited about and really seem to know their stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
As a rank newbie who is taking my PAL this weekend, I am learning a ton reading this thread and all the discussions. Thanks to all that have contributed!

Gotta admit, I was a little nervous when I got to the end of the thread seeing if any of my recent rookie comments at gun counters would pop up. :-)

One thing I have to say is that this thread has confirmed with me the value of getting my PAL and buying my first rifle through my local independent gun store where the guys listen to what I am excited about and really seem to know their stuff.

Don't know where you're local to, but if high river is within a reasonable drive, I'd recommend checking out fly's etc, on Centre street just north of the traffic circle. Good guys, low pressure, and lots of knowledge. I can't think of a better place for a new shooter to seek advice and purchase his new boom stick
Old 10-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Don't know where you're local to, but if high river is within a reasonable drive, I'd recommend checking out fly's etc, on Centre street just north of the traffic circle. Good guys, low pressure, and lots of knowledge. I can't think of a better place for a new shooter to seek advice and purchase his new boom stick
Thanks for the recommendation, I will make a point of stopping by next time I am down South. I live in Calgary and work in Inglewood, so Proline is really handy for me and I get a good vibe from those guys.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:25 AM

Other than popping in a couple times to kill a few minutes, I've never really dealt with Proline. But they've been there forever, so that could be a good sign! I noticed they don't seem to carry a lot of stock rifle wise though, with a lot of it being used or consignment
Old 10-27-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Other than popping in a couple times to kill a few minutes, I've never really dealt with Proline. But they've been there forever, so that could be a good sign! I noticed they don't seem to carry a lot of stock rifle wise though, with a lot of it being used or consignment
Proline is a refreshing change from the too big box stores.
The staff are unique and helpful, and it is a great place to meet other interesting and knowledgeable shooters.
Brian (owner) has done a lot of movie armorer work, (check out the photos in the hallway,) and has a large stock of movie props in the trailers and in the basement, where he keeps several tumblers working to clean properly sorted ?fired brass.
His price for sorted and tumbled brass is usually a LOT better than the AO B&S.
The firearms for sale are an eclectic mix which changes frequently,
and often include current reproduction black powder, cap & ball or even a rolling block 45-70.
The reloading tools and components are often from estates or liquidations.
He keeps a good stock of lead boolits.
His powder prices can be very good.
They teach PAL & RPAL in the store frequently and AFAIK very reasonably, (the merchandise displays are on rollers).
They open late and close early, but be careful of parking on the street as the city tows quickly to clear for busy times.
The very good Blues Can bar is across the street.

I always enjoy my visits there, (Proline and Blues Can).

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:13 PM

A few years ago at WSS. For Some reason they had some ammunition behind the gun counter rather than on the shelf with the rest. Me "Can I get a box of the federal premium in 7mmRM 140 grain nosler partition?" Salesguy "What are you shooting with that ammo?" Me "I have moose and whitetail tags this year. I use this ammunition for everything" Salesguy "you are wasting having a magnum by shooting such light ammunition. You should be using 175 grain."
At that time, it had been at least 10 seasons with 140's. And I tagged out that year.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
They seemed pretty keen to order in anything I wanted by the manufactures they carry. The prices seemed competitive with the big box stores every day pricing.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:51 PM

About 15 years ago, I worked in a high end gun store in Texas. It was a fun job and I worked with a retired green beret colonel. He was a nice guy but he would loose his s*^t if someone stuck a finger down a barrel.
So, any time he was working and someone who was inexperienced asked about gauge or rifling, we would recommend checking with a finger.

Juvenile but funny as all get out.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:01 PM

More hunting related than gun related, was at the sports store those morning when a guy visiting the area to pick up some general hunting tags. The clerk looked up his account and told him he has a couple of draws available to and the guy says "oh really? They must be for back home, we weren't planning on hunting them, we just put in to save more animals."
Old 10-30-2017, 01:15 PM

I phoned a big box store last week and asked "do you have any Nosler 270wsm brass"? After waiting for about 5 minutes the clerk came back on the phone and said "what grain did you want" i then said not loaded ammo, just brass for reloading. I could hear the gears spinning, heavy breathing and buttons being pushed. After several more minutes the clerk came back on the phone and said " um i will have to get someone to phone you."
Old 10-30-2017, 08:25 PM

This is my fav thread on AO I think.

Makes me wanna go to the shooting stores like I used to and troll ..... But in a nice way. If that makes sense.

Wish I heard 1/8 if these funny stories.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:35 PM

Holy crap! I started this 5 years ago already....these stories never get old!

LC
Old 10-30-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Holy crap! I started this 5 years ago already....these stories never get old!

LC
There's always new ones!
Old 10-31-2017, 01:15 AM

Customer at a counter the other day, after first saying that he really knew nothing about modern cartridges but was basically a ballistician of all the old stuff..."You won't believe this but...I had one of the Ross rifles in 303. I'm not sure how, but it got over 4200 fps. Nobody believes me! But it was a screamer."
Old 10-31-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Customer at a counter the other day, after first saying that he really knew nothing about modern cartridges but was basically a ballistician of all the old stuff..."You won't believe this but...I had one of the Ross rifles in 303. I'm not sure how, but it got over 4200 fps. Nobody believes me! But it was a screamer."
He was correct in that he knows nothing about modern cartridges.