Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Default 303

On the way home from bird hunting yesterday we saw a sign for a Warburg gun show.. Great selection of awesome firearms. Picked up a Mk3 Enfield rifle, in pretty good shape. Looks to be 1925/26 from the multitude of markings I looked up.

I cleaned it up and action seems good, barrel does not seem to have any pitting or anything. Question is, should I take any precautions firing it as I do not know when it was last fired?

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Last edited by DaveFish; 10-16-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:02 PM

Just make sure the barrel is clear and shoot, better iron than gun's made today.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:13 PM

Coolest gun ever built. Shoot it and checkout the brass vs an un fired one. You will see what's going on in the chamber
Old 10-16-2017, 01:59 PM

Does it have an adjustable rear sight ahead of the breech or does it have a peep sight at the back end of the iron? I hope the OP understands what I'm trying to say here. LOL
Old 10-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Original adjustable rear sight, was siezed up but now it's working great.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Last edited by DaveFish; 10-16-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:38 PM

Sounds like a #1 mark 3. I got 2 of them kicking around here.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Sounds like a #1 mark 3. I got 2 of them kicking around here.
That it is.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:14 PM

Shot a box out of it today, tight grouping, accurate, still a solid rifle. No problems at all.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
Shot a box out of it today, tight grouping, accurate, still a solid rifle. No problems at all.
Was there any doubt? It's an enfield
Old 10-17-2017, 06:33 PM

Some people don't believe me, but the British army was using them as sniper rifles in the early 1980's - granted they were the best of the best when they came out of the factory all those years ago when they were made.
303's have killed lots of moose, and put lots of "round holes in square heads" (saw on this forum somewhere)
I'm happy for you, and a little jealous.

Last edited by Heyupduck; 10-17-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: plagerism
Old 10-17-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post
Some people don't believe me, but the British army was using them as sniper rifles in the early 1980's - granted they were the best of the best when they came out of the factory all those years ago when they were made.
303's have killed lots of moose, and put lots of "round holes in square heads" (saw on this forum somewhere)
I'm happy for you, and a little jealous.
L42A1. Served until the eighties. Until they found a more uncool rifle as a replacement.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:48 PM

Welcome to the club. If you are like me, you will find an excuse to bring it to the hunt; camp gun, quad gun, backup....
Old 10-17-2017, 07:43 PM

Yea...was a very great feeling firing it. Now I have 3 rifles waiting for their chance to drop a deer.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
Yea...was a very great feeling firing it. Now I have 3 rifles waiting for their chance to drop a deer.
Is your's a sporter? I have the same rifle, mine is crudely sporterised, its got some pitting in the barrel but will still shoot 2-2.5" groups with the irons. I pack it around when the rain is falling, or the tree's are loaded with snow just waiting to drop it in your scope the minuet you brush against them. I used it to take a moose this year and despite its length I really liked the way it carried, handled, and shot in the bush. I think I'll practice up with the irons a little more this winter and try using it the whole season next year, very cool gun.