Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Default Quad advise

Looking at buying another quad
. Found a nice used machine at a dealership..... a 2014 canam 800 Max xt....

Would 565km on a 5 year old machine be a good thing? Or buying someone elses headache. Only have experience with Honda foremans. And my 2016 i think had its first oilchange in the 300km range. Low kms on a 5 year old machine seems odd no?

Wifey approved another quad so i have to act fast before she changes her kind haha. Was thinking buying another foreman.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Looking at buying another quad
. Found a nice used machine at a dealership..... a 2014 canam 800 Max xt....

Would 565km on a 5 year old machine be a good thing? Or buying someone elses headache. Only have experience with Honda foremans. And my 2016 i think had its first oilchange in the 300km range. Low kms on a 5 year old machine seems odd no?

Wifey approved another quad so i have to act fast before she changes her kind haha. Was thinking buying another foreman.
Could be the owner just didn’t use it much. Or only for hunting or checking fence or something. My dad has a quad that he uses once a year to go on a annual quad camp with his buddies. 12 years old with under 1000 km.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Banned

my wife said the same thing for me in february. I looked around at used but it made more sense to spend a few k more and buy new. I ended up deciding on a new can am.

I didnt see any low km used options that made much sense at that time. Most guys wanted ridiculous prices on machines that were 7+ years old. Any newish machines were over priced and made buying new an easier decision.

Its impossible to sort out why the machine has such low km.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:25 PM

Yamaha grizzly
Old 09-22-2019, 10:38 PM

I have 2 2013 Pro RMK800 snowmobiles, with 700 miles on them. Previous owners bought them and never used them. A buddy just bought a Stihl MS250 chainsaw for 125$ because the previous owner didn't use it. First car I ever owned was 10 years old and had 30000 miles on it. Car ran like a top and to date goes down as one of my favorite vehicles ever. There are always deals to be had, people buy things thinking they will use them and never do. The people I bought the snowmobiles from had a 3rd, wasn't even 50% through the break in.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:45 AM

I bought a 2003 Honda Rancher 350ES in 2016 and it had less than 1000k on it. It was like brand new without a scratch on it. Kilometres are more than doubled on it 3 years later and I have not had 1 issue with it.

As mentioned, some quads never get used. There are 100’s of quads that were bought new in 2016 in Fort McMurray after the fire on insurance that I would bet have not been used more than a few times since if at all.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:44 AM

Lots of power toys never get used. People buy em with alll kinds if intentions that don't pan out. Thats a nice machine you're looking at. Not a low maintenance unit like a foreman, but then again it's nothing like a foreman. The ride,power, handling will be miles better. And it'll feel huge haha. Good luck either way. So many deals on kijiji now, it's the time to buy
Old 09-23-2019, 07:01 AM

Can am are bricks. Buy a grizz..
Old 09-23-2019, 07:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Gotta buy what fits your style....I need utility type quad, narrow wheel base, pull start back up, reliability, something that if it sits too long in a bog no belts start slipping etc and good gas mileage per tank.....Honda fourtrax fit my bill a long time ago....to each their own just put another 100 Klicks on it over the week end checking cams, stand and a little ruffy hunting.....putt...putt....putt...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-23-2019, 07:52 AM

Doesn’t seem strange to me. I’ve averaged 12 hours a year on my quad in the last 10 years. I also know guys who live in town and own quads that only take them out once a year if time permits and sometimes every couple of years.

I would never shy away from a low km quad.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Default Used Quad

Very simple if seller is under 40 some risk with heavy use, if he is over 60 then limited risk "machine has been driven hard and put away wet"
Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Very simple if seller is under 40 some risk with heavy use, if he is over 60 then limited risk "machine has been driven hard and put away wet"
Hmmm I fall between those age groups....was up to the lights in one swampy area....she dried off but was put away as is for another outing....was a long day, hardly had it off but she rested overnight....

OP has to find what fits his requirements.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-23-2019, 09:29 AM

The condition should tell you, it should be spotless underneath. If it is, previous owner probably only putted around.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Banned

My biggest ATV regret to date was the purchase of a brand new side by side, not because of the machine, but because of the price I paid. I have owned over a dozen machines, Honda, Yamaha, arctic cat, Polaris, Can-Am/Bombardier. For the most part, all my ATV’s have been just regular maintenance to keep them running, just about all my Sled’s too, with the exception of a couple blown up ski-doo’s. The way I see it, I can buy a used quad in good shape for $5k. Maybe replace the wheel bearings, change the plugs, minor maintenance stuff and ride it for a few years, then sell it for $3500. I lose $1500 if you consider that a loss. I bought a new side by side 5 years ago for $26k, be lucky to get $12k for it today, so I lost about $14k. I’m willing to bet I could have bought a used side by side for $8k then and still could get $6k for it today.

In the end it’s your money, spend it how you see fit. I thought I’d be smart and buy a brand new reliable machine, but it don’t take long for me to put 3000 miles on a machine and it’s no different than the used ones, just a whole lot more expensive.

Btw, I bought a can am renegade 800 with 2700km on it for about $10k less than new and haven’t spent a cent on it other than oil changes and fuel.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:12 PM

I have had good experiences with Can Am Outlander 1000s, (one was the long wheelbase extended 4x4 and the other the 6x6) 800s are very similar and are also way more than enough juice. I have also had good experiences with Honda Foremans. I thought my comparative comments could be useful.

1. Honda reliability has exceeded the Can Ams. Likely not surprising. If you are going remote enough regularly, Honda reliability has a value.

2. The big engine Outlanders are incredibly powerful. Great for you, but I would be hesitant if less experienced or youthful riders may use it also, even with the separate power reduction key. These are surprisingly JUICED.

3. The Outlanders like to spin/cook belts if they are not in 4LO in some surprisingly light challenge situations. Frequent shifting is required. I found this, the weight and front end work to be the weaknesses.

4. The Outlanders are HEAVY compared to the Foremans, so you need to turn your mind more to recovery and avoiding certain spots. This is especially true on solo rides and where you may have been used to being able to move a Foreman more easily by man-power. We sunk one in mud/muskeg very easily, where a Foreman stayed on top more and did not get stuck.

5. Re: Mileage: If it has a snorkel or equipment/setup looks meant for hard riding, I might pass. If possible, have it inspected or look for signs of advanced wear. On that particular unit, I would pay attention to how the brakes sound and function and whether the front end steering feels tight or sloppy. They tended to require front end work/tightening more often than the Foremans.

Good luck and yes try to act before your Recreation and Entertainment Minister changes policy on you.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:32 PM

Great information here thank you.

Are the Honda Goreman Rubicons just as bullet proof as the regular Foremans?
Old 09-23-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Great information here thank you.

Are the Honda Goreman Rubicons just as bullet proof as the regular Foremans?
Rubicons are great 500cc quads. I have friends with them and they all like them. I have been told by many that the 420 will outshine the Rubicon and it is lighter. Rincon is supposed to be a dog at low speeds. Honda's attempt at a fun quad lol.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:06 PM

I have a 800 max xt its a great machine just like anything else keep it maintained.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Rubicons are great 500cc quads. I have friends with them and they all like them. I have been told by many that the 420 will outshine the Rubicon and it is lighter. Rincon is supposed to be a dog at low speeds. Honda's attempt at a fun quad lol.
I've got a 420 4x4 (2009 with power steering, elec shift, single swing arm suspension in rear).
Wouldn't trade it for anything.
I am a 10 hour/year kinda guy during hunting season. Otherwise it sits.
Bought it used in near new condition...for 50% of MSRP.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
I've got a 420 4x4 (2009 with power steering, elec shift, single swing arm suspension in rear).
Wouldn't trade it for anything.
I am a 10 hour/year kinda guy during hunting season. Otherwise it sits.
Bought it used in near new condition...for 50% of MSRP.
Sounds like me too.....

The 2016 foreman serves everything i need ...great for hunting...and still can have fun. I rode it alot the first year haha.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:00 PM

I wouldn't get nervous about a quad with that mileage. A lot of people buy them thinking it's the answer to good times but for some the honeymoon is short lived. When I was younger I thought all would be right in the world if I just had a bike, so the first thing I bought when I could afford it was a bike.

Fast forward a number of years we have three of them and they mostly sit and rust. I would sell them if they weren't such a handy tool at times. I would guess we've put under a couple hundred k on them in the last few years.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:18 PM

Grizzly 700. . For the amount of time you gonna use it buy a good used grizzly. They fit nice in the truck , tough as nails, cheap parts. Hold their value, look good you name it. Brand new quad will depreciate in one year more than what you can buy a good yammie for. 5 grand. I got one if you need. New up grade stator, new belt power steering, e.f.i. tons of power. Reliable as hell. Buy new quads if you use them for work and get paid for them. Otherwise you'll get 2500 for them in five or ten years like the rest of us. That's a big hit. Just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:38 AM

I’ve had good luck with Can Ams.

I won’t buy another quad that doesn’t have power steering. That’s the only thing I don’t like about my 2009 Outlander.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Grizzly 700. . For the amount of time you gonna use it buy a good used grizzly. They fit nice in the truck , tough as nails, cheap parts. Hold their value, look good you name it. Brand new quad will depreciate in one year more than what you can buy a good yammie for. 5 grand. I got one if you need. New up grade stator, new belt power steering, e.f.i. tons of power. Reliable as hell. Buy new quads if you use them for work and get paid for them. Otherwise you'll get 2500 for them in five or ten years like the rest of us. That's a big hit. Just my opinion.
So you're selling yours for $2500?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Sounds like me too.....

The 2016 foreman serves everything i need ...great for hunting...and still can have fun. I rode it alot the first year haha.
i have a 2012 420 with i think 1200kms on it, love it!!
been debating on selling it, but its not costing me anything sitting in the garage, so i might just hang onto it and use it for a couple ice fishing trips
Old 09-27-2019, 02:12 PM

Yamaha Grizzly
I have 3. A 2002, 2013 and 2017 and no problems with them at all and we ride a lot.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 09-27-2019, 02:57 PM

I had my quad for 10 years and it only had 1150KM on it before I sold it to my buddy 15 years ago. Was looking at it a couple of weeks back and it still doesn't have 3000KM on it.

I'd say the CanAm you're looking at would be fine. Another buddy has one that is a 2012 with something like 6,000KM on it and still going strong. He's only replaced the winch solenoid and the winch cable, he switched out to rope.

BW
Old 09-27-2019, 04:14 PM

I wouldn't be worried.

We have a 2004 honda rubicon purchased in 2005. It has 12,000km. Mechanically its great, oil and gas, plastic is shot.

We have a 1988 as well a honda 300 2wd. Oil and gas and the odd spark plug. Its been trouble free as well. Platic is in better shape on it compared to the 2004.

If its in like new condition, I'd buy it. There arr a lot of really nice quads on the market for 3-4k
Old 09-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Good questions/answers. What is the largest Single cylinder Utility ATV? I like the twins, however Will stick with single cylinder. Need (want), more power than Honda 350 Rancher.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:34 PM

Forget the Can-Am. Over powered heavy unreliable junk.

Yamaha Grizzly still the best machine on the market.