Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Default hunting help

Hey community of Hunters!

I live in Calgary and I am willing to drive.

I do not know much about hunting. I know it is late in the season but if anyone can help guide me to deer hunting that will be nice. I am not asking you to share your productive spot. Just general help.

In 2017 an experienced hunter promised to take me deer hunting and teach me along the way , however due to personal issues he stopped hunting all together and moved out of Alberta.

In 2018 my experienced hunter referred me to another friend of his so I can go with him. The 2nd hunter had 40 years of hunting under his belt however he was not really interested. We would leave the house around 8:00 am and arrive at his spot by 9:30 am,sitting a few hours and leaving around 1:00 pm. After a few trips I realized that it wont go anywhere.

So in short I purchased 4 tags for WT & Mule deer and could not fill any of it.

I do understand that spending $$ and time will not guarantee a successful hunt.

so any help guiding me or teaching me will be really appreciated. I am really lost at the same time I really do not want to go hunting and get in trouble with land use, firearm discharge, illegal hunt, difference between private land & public land.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-23-2019, 12:25 PM

I’m happy to help out a new guy... do you have a general area where you want to go?
Have you spoken to landowners and gotten permission or driven roads looking for animals? Anything?

I’m sure you’re told this all the tile when the subject comes up, but it’s a TON of work to set up relationships with landowners and/or find quality public land to hunt that isn’t overrun with other guys. It’s a HUGE risk for a veteran hunter with 5+ years experience to bring out a new guy.
Even amongst my closest hunting buddies, I’m only willing to take 1-2 to my best spots (other than my teenage sons), despite having 10 or so friends that hunt. People see my success, and before you know it, they’re in my best places with their other buddies or family members.
These days, with hunting becoming more popular and “trendy” there’s a TON of new guys out there - and it honestly ruins it for a lot of us. They’ll hunt without permission, or leave gates open or whatever, maybe simply out of ignorance - not knowing the legalities involved or the ethics and manners that are involved. People trespass or break rules established by landowners, and inevitably they shut it down to everyone...
So that being said, i wouldn’t mind taking a new guy out every now and then, so long as they’re willing to put in the same work to find good places to hunt, and NOT expecting to be able to take a guy’s best places.
PM me and we’ll see.
Alternatively, there’s a sticky post at the top of the hunting category listing people looking for new hunting partners. Again - it’s mostly new guys, but we were all new guys at one point.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:30 PM

I would definitely recommend getting iHunter. It will give you lots of information in regards to grazing leases and obtaining access.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 02:12 PM

you say that you bought 4 tags. be aware that every different wmu area has different type of tags that are allowed to be used. the hunting regulations have a breakdown of what is allowed where and when.