Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 02:58 PM

Default Bait types

Hello, I have a question about bait. I was reading the regs and they define bait to include cheese, corn, and meat etc. I'm going fishing for pike and I was wondering if these types of bait are actually successful. (Sorry if this is silly, I'm still new to fishing!) For example, can I just cut up a hot dog and use that?
Old 07-22-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Hello, I have a question about bait. I was reading the regs and they define bait to include cheese, corn, and meat etc. I'm going fishing for pike and I was wondering if these types of bait are actually successful. (Sorry if this is silly, I'm still new to fishing!) For example, can I just cut up a hot dog and use that?
Pike are easy to catch when they are feeding, sometimes no bait at all.

As long as there is no bait ban, a hot dog should work for them. The best would be minnows or worms
Old 07-22-2016, 03:16 PM

Use minnows for pike. Not hotdogs or worms.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Meat works for Pike, the others do not as far as I know.

I find that fish parts or whole minnows is the best, second to that is fresh red meat, Beaver is one of the best red meats for this but any fresh red meat will work, if they are biting.

Generally I only use bait if I can not see through a foot of water. Pike are sight hunters and react better to visual stimulus then to scent, in my experiance.

I doubt very much that corn or cheese would work at all, weiners and worms might work to some degree but I have never had success catching Pike with any of the above.

I do however use bait for Pike, a lot. This river is murky at best and liquid mud at it's worst.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-22-2016, 03:35 PM

Pike if they are biting you don't need nothing. Good old 5 of diamonds works good. If jigging then minnows work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2016, 03:43 PM

If you are actually targeting pike- these fish strike so many un-baited lures that bait is quite unnecessary. Red devil is a classic lure and almost any of the popular spoons/jigs/ plugs work very well. Many pike fishermen have experienced a small pike being reeled in only to have a much larger pike take the smaller one. Bait has been effective for trout at times but not so much for pike. Enjoy the sport and you will find lots of info. on this site. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 PM

I like to report I caught a pike on my first cast with a piece of hot dog! I might try using a minnow next!
Old 07-23-2016, 12:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
I like to report I caught a pike on my first cast with a piece of hot dog! I might try using a minnow next!
That's normal.

I've been fishing for nearly sixty years and still, women, kids and beginners out fish me nine times out of ten.
Not that I don't catch fish, I get plenty, but they usually get more or bigger fish and I've seen it happen to many other experienced fisherman as well.

I believe fish can sense how experienced a fisherman is and govern themselves accordingly.

That's my story and I'm sticken to it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-23-2016, 07:45 AM

If bait is allowed ,you can put on anything you want that will make you happy !
Some thing like a hotdog my not have the strength to hold on to the hook on a cast. And stuff like corn I heard its hard on the fish to digest if it is C&R or gets away .
Years ago on pigeon, we ran out of minnows and the daughter was eating some type of wormy looking gummy candy. So I threw one on a hook . Caught a a walleye with in minutes. We all laughed . Its all about having fun !
Have a great day . Enjoy your next trip!
JR