Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Sonar Unit

howdy gang -- looking to get a debate going (again...)

I know these things tend to be "user preference", but what's your favourite sonar unit and what features can you not live without?

If we begin by saying that a GPS/Sonar combo is the absolute bare minimum these days, how much more do you absolutely NEED to have?

-Down Imaging?
-Side Imaging?

I've got a bunch of Bass Pro gift cards, so we're looking at spending about $500 on a new sonar unit for the used boat we just bought. After learning about Genesis mapping for Lowrance, I'm kind of leaning that way, but tell me your likes and dislikes about various units.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Mapping, side imaging, ability to use year round if you are going to have 1 unit. You can pick apart a lake fairly quickly once you know what to look for and really reduce the amount of time you spend searching for structure/fish. For a dedicated finder in the boat, get the biggest screen you want to afford.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:58 PM

The important features for me are the ability to create a lake map on the head unit, down imaging, and networking the unit to your trolling motor. I run a lot of Helix units (Gen 1 Helix 9 Si, Gen 1 Helix 10 DI, Gen 2 Helix 9 DI, Gen 3 Helix 9 MEGA SI, Gen 2 Ice Helix 5 GPS, and Onix 10 SI). Prior to that I had a Lowrance HDS 9 (G1). I have both the ice transducer and portable transducer for my Ice Helix 5 which is really versatile. Map the lakes in open water and then use it ice fishing as a flasher.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-25-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
howdy gang -- looking to get a debate going (again...)

I know these things tend to be "user preference", but what's your favourite sonar unit and what features can you not live without?

If we begin by saying that a GPS/Sonar combo is the absolute bare minimum these days, how much more do you absolutely NEED to have?

-Down Imaging?
-Side Imaging?

I've got a bunch of Bass Pro gift cards, so we're looking at spending about $500 on a new sonar unit for the used boat we just bought. After learning about Genesis mapping for Lowrance, I'm kind of leaning that way, but tell me your likes and dislikes about various units.

Cheers!
In my opinion, all you NEED is a standard 2D sonar and GPS. I wouldn't be without those two things on my boat. That'll let you find fish and stay on them. You'll have a map, know your depth, know your speed, and know if there's fish under your boat or not. That's the minimum. To my mind, the best quality 2D sonar image is my #1 priority. Being able to have faith in your 2D to mark fish and provide maximum detail is priceless. All of your fishing decisions are based on that 2D sonar screen.

Screen size is really important, the bigger the better. Try to keep that in mind. A couple fewer features on a bigger screen is better in my opinion than a couple more features on a smaller screen.

Networking. Can you connect more than 1 sonar unit? Maybe it's not in the budget today, but what about down the road? How do they share info? Wireless? Ethernet? What data do they share? This one can be confusing, spend some time and ask some questions on this to make sure you know exactly what your options are going forward.

On the sonar side, beyond quality 2D, the next step is adding DI and SI.

Down Imaging (DI) is a great tool to help you interpret what you're seeing on the 2D. Is it a rock? Is it a fish? Weeds? Bait? DI answers a lot of those questions.

Side Imaging (SI) is a great tool too, and it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. You can identify weed lines, rocks/boulders, sand/mud transitions, subtle structures, and once you've got your eye tuned to it, you'll be able to see fish and what they're relating too. BUT, there's a learning curve, it takes time and dedication in order to get up to speed on it. I'd also say you need at least a 7" screen, preferably 9", in order to really get the most out of it. You're looking for pretty small details over a big area, and trying to display all that data on a small screen is very difficult.

The other aspect I look for is "control" over the 2D. How much can I customize it to my preferences and the conditions of the day. That starts with the transducer options available, they're definitely not all created equal. The ability to run different and better transducers is huge for me. I'm also really fussy about my settings for sensitivity, color line, scroll speed, etc... You don't "need" to have control over all of that, but I sure want to have that option.

On the mapping/GPS side, there's two key features.

Built in map quality, or the ability to download good quality maps. What's available and what does it cost. In western Canada, you're pretty much stuck with a built in base map and Navionics, and they're both generally just "OK" at best. Lowrance has the added benefit of the Genesis maps Social Maps layer. That's big plus on a lot of AB lakes, and it's free. You can also create your own maps using the software, either free or with a subscription if you want to keep them private.

The second key feature is live mapping. Being able to create your own maps, live, in real time on the water is an awesome advancement in the last couple years. After using it and building up my maps, I'd have a hard time not having this feature available to me.

The last item to consider is having a touch screen. I couldn't go back to buttons. Everything these days is touch screens, they're just so simple and quick to use. That's a big one for me.

In the $500 price range, you're going to be forced to make some compromises. You won't have much control over the display, you likely won't have live mapping, and definitely no touch screen or networking. You'll be looking at the 5-7" screens in a base model unit. In that price range, I'd focus on 2D and mapping. DI would be a nice add on, but I wouldn't get too lost in adding SI, especially in a 5" unit. The basic Humminbird units, Garmin units, and the Lowrance Hook2 units are what you'll be looking at in the price range. The Hook2 5 or 7 with a Splitshot (2D/DI) or maybe the Tripleshot (2D/DI/SI) would be my suggestion.

Unfortunately, in order to step into a unit that will check most of the boxes above, you're looking at $800-1200. Now you're into the Humminbird Helix units and the Lowrance TI2. The Lowrance TI2 checks every box above if you buy it with either the HST-WSBL skimmer and AI 2in1 combo, or the AI 3in1 transducer. It does everything above and more, including live mapping (all you need is any blank microSD card), and full control of your touch screen including both screen layout and data overlays, BUT, you're going to be at $1000 for a 7" unit.

My suggestion is to go to the sonar counter at Bass Pro or The Fishin Hole and take a look first hand. Go through them, operate them all, and see what you like. The biggest thing is to understand the difference between not only the major brands, but the various levels within each brand. In my opinion, when it comes to the Lowrance lineup, there's HUGE value in stepping up from the base Hook2 models into the Elite TI2 series. That would definitely be my preference as a starting point. If there's any way you can swing it, you'll never regret it.

Of course, another option is to look for a used older unit. The Lowrance Gen 3 and Carbon units are really good units that are still superior to the the Elite TI2s in a lot of ways. If you can find a good deal on 7 or 9" unit in one of those models, that's a great option in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
In my opinion, all you NEED is a standard 2D sonar and GPS. I wouldn't be without those two things on my boat. That'll let you find fish and stay on them. You'll have a map, know your depth, know your speed, and know if there's fish under your boat or not. That's the minimum. To my mind, the best quality 2D sonar image is my #1 priority. Being able to have faith in your 2D to mark fish and provide maximum detail is priceless. All of your fishing decisions are based on that 2D sonar screen.

Screen size is really important, the bigger the better. Try to keep that in mind. A couple fewer features on a bigger screen is better in my opinion than a couple more features on a smaller screen.

Networking. Can you connect more than 1 sonar unit? Maybe it's not in the budget today, but what about down the road? How do they share info? Wireless? Ethernet? What data do they share? This one can be confusing, spend some time and ask some questions on this to make sure you know exactly what your options are going forward.

On the sonar side, beyond quality 2D, the next step is adding DI and SI.

Down Imaging (DI) is a great tool to help you interpret what you're seeing on the 2D. Is it a rock? Is it a fish? Weeds? Bait? DI answers a lot of those questions.

Side Imaging (SI) is a great tool too, and it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. You can identify weed lines, rocks/boulders, sand/mud transitions, subtle structures, and once you've got your eye tuned to it, you'll be able to see fish and what they're relating too. BUT, there's a learning curve, it takes time and dedication in order to get up to speed on it. I'd also say you need at least a 7" screen, preferably 9", in order to really get the most out of it. You're looking for pretty small details over a big area, and trying to display all that data on a small screen is very difficult.

The other aspect I look for is "control" over the 2D. How much can I customize it to my preferences and the conditions of the day. That starts with the transducer options available, they're definitely not all created equal. The ability to run different and better transducers is huge for me. I'm also really fussy about my settings for sensitivity, color line, scroll speed, etc... You don't "need" to have control over all of that, but I sure want to have that option.

On the mapping/GPS side, there's two key features.

Built in map quality, or the ability to download good quality maps. What's available and what does it cost. In western Canada, you're pretty much stuck with a built in base map and Navionics, and they're both generally just "OK" at best. Lowrance has the added benefit of the Genesis maps Social Maps layer. That's big plus on a lot of AB lakes, and it's free. You can also create your own maps using the software, either free or with a subscription if you want to keep them private.

The second key feature is live mapping. Being able to create your own maps, live, in real time on the water is an awesome advancement in the last couple years. After using it and building up my maps, I'd have a hard time not having this feature available to me.

The last item to consider is having a touch screen. I couldn't go back to buttons. Everything these days is touch screens, they're just so simple and quick to use. That's a big one for me.

In the $500 price range, you're going to be forced to make some compromises. You won't have much control over the display, you likely won't have live mapping, and definitely no touch screen or networking. You'll be looking at the 5-7" screens in a base model unit. In that price range, I'd focus on 2D and mapping. DI would be a nice add on, but I wouldn't get too lost in adding SI, especially in a 5" unit. The basic Humminbird units, Garmin units, and the Lowrance Hook2 units are what you'll be looking at in the price range. The Hook2 5 or 7 with a Splitshot (2D/DI) or maybe the Tripleshot (2D/DI/SI) would be my suggestion.

Unfortunately, in order to step into a unit that will check most of the boxes above, you're looking at $800-1200. Now you're into the Humminbird Helix units and the Lowrance TI2. The Lowrance TI2 checks every box above if you buy it with either the HST-WSBL skimmer and AI 2in1 combo, or the AI 3in1 transducer. It does everything above and more, including live mapping (all you need is any blank microSD card), and full control of your touch screen including both screen layout and data overlays, BUT, you're going to be at $1000 for a 7" unit.

My suggestion is to go to the sonar counter at Bass Pro or The Fishin Hole and take a look first hand. Go through them, operate them all, and see what you like. The biggest thing is to understand the difference between not only the major brands, but the various levels within each brand. In my opinion, when it comes to the Lowrance lineup, there's HUGE value in stepping up from the base Hook2 models into the Elite TI2 series. That would definitely be my preference as a starting point. If there's any way you can swing it, you'll never regret it.

Of course, another option is to look for a used older unit. The Lowrance Gen 3 and Carbon units are really good units that are still superior to the the Elite TI2s in a lot of ways. If you can find a good deal on 7 or 9" unit in one of those models, that's a great option in my opinion.
Good info...thanks. I definitely think I can do very well at the $500 price point, and $1000 for a sonar unit is just beyond insane...I literally can't even. I'll get something really nice in the $500 range...I'm sure of it.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Good info...thanks. I definitely think I can do very well at the $500 price point, and $1000 for a sonar unit is just beyond insane...I literally can't even. I'll get something really nice in the $500 range...I'm sure of it.
Shop around, don’t be afraid of used, and no doubt you’ll find something good for $500.

You’ve entered the world of boating now though, so you’ll have to wrap your head around spending $1000.

B.O.A.T. - Break Out Another Thousand!!!

😁😁😁
Old 09-26-2019, 10:27 AM

Only for the crazy people! Ha ha....and I suspect oil-and-gas workers......
Old 09-26-2019, 10:38 AM

I thought this might help show the difference between 2D (top half) and DI (bottom half). In this case I found the schools of perch with walleye chasing them around. I could predict a Walleye on every time I went through a perch school. The clarity of DI certainly helps you define things on your sonar better.

As Walleyedude says, you can find good used units in your price range. I would look for something 9” or larger with DI. Both Humminbird and Lowrance have social maps and models that allow you to build maps as you drive, which is very valuable here in Canada. Navionics isn’t accurate in my experience.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post

I thought this might help show the difference between 2D (top half) and DI (bottom half). In this case I found the schools of perch with walleye chasing them around. I could predict a Walleye on every time I went through a perch school. The clarity of DI certainly helps you define things on your sonar better.

As Walleyedude says, you can find good used units in your price range. I would look for something 9” or larger with DI. Both Humminbird and Lowrance have social maps and models that allow you to build maps as you drive, which is very valuable here in Canada. Navionics isn’t accurate in my experience.
Yeah, I've heard really bad things about Navionics, which is why two buddies of mine back home created Anglers Edge Mapping, which is highly detailed (and insanely accurate!) mapping for Manitoba and NW Ontario and only available for Lowrance units.

What's the Bird equivalent to Genesis? I'm definitely interested in something that gives me accurate mapping of Alberta lakes. My experience at Pine left a sour taste in my mouth. F***ing sandbars in the middle of the lake....
Old 09-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Also, I've been told that side imaging isn't AS important in Alberta as it is back home, because there's not as much structure in the Alberta swamp "lakes" (compared to the big, deep shield lakes back home that have so much structure everywhere...) but that's just what I was told anyhow...
Old 09-26-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard really bad things about Navionics, which is why two buddies of mine back home created Anglers Edge Mapping, which is highly detailed (and insanely accurate!) mapping for Manitoba and NW Ontario and only available for Lowrance units.

What's the Bird equivalent to Genesis? I'm definitely interested in something that gives me accurate mapping of Alberta lakes. My experience at Pine left a sour taste in my mouth. F***ing sandbars in the middle of the lake....

The Bird equivalent is Autochart LiveShare. https://www.humminbird.com/learn/map...hart-liveshare

Old 09-26-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Also, I've been told that side imaging isn't AS important in Alberta as it is back home, because there's not as much structure in the Alberta swamp "lakes" (compared to the big, deep shield lakes back home that have so much structure everywhere...) but that's just what I was told anyhow...

I would agree with that for many of the lakes in AB. SI can be helpful in finding rock ridges and weed edges though.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:42 PM

Lowrance Hook 9" with DI and SI. Hard to tell from the pictures if it's the new Hook2 or the older original Hook, but I think if it's got the TripleShot transducer, it's a Hook2.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camp...ationFlag=true
Old 09-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Lowrance Hook 9" with DI and SI. Hard to tell from the pictures if it's the new Hook2 or the older original Hook, but I think if it's got the TripleShot transducer, it's a Hook2.

Must be going to a ‘bird...

Old 09-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:

good find...too bad it's in Kamloops! I'll have to watch for something like that closer to home...
Old 09-26-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
good find...too bad it's in Kamloops! I'll have to watch for something like that closer to home...
Nothing $20 in shipping charges won't fix.

If you're worried about it working, get a video of him operating it before.

Retail price on that unit is over $1000.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index....MAPS/&se=31538
Old 09-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Must be going to a ‘bird...
Or he's upgrading to an Elite TI2 or a new HDS Live unit...
Old 09-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Take a good long hard look at the Hummingbird Helix 5 or 7 both great screens and easy to operate.