Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Default ground blind for deer hunting

Hi,
When is the best time to put the ground blinds and what signs to look for when placing ground blinds. Is it better to build blinds using natural materials.

any info provided will be appreciated.

thanks

rosh
Old 03-20-2011, 12:46 PM

My advice is a portable camo blind available at several fine outdoor stores or online. They are quick to deploy, easy to move and very versatile. You can also run a small heater in them on those cold November says (make sure you are well ventilated so you don't asphyxiate yourself). If you are hunting in the rut you can set it up and have a buck come by you within minutes.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Default blinds

The camo blinds with natural vegetation placed on and around them work well. I would try and get my blind out a week before you hunt in an area that deer frequent. It allows the blind to air out and let the area to settle from disturbing it setting up a blind and cutting shooting lanes.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
I would try and get my blind out a week before you hunt in an area that deer frequent.
Or if you can't set it up the week before leave it outside in your back yard or spray it with a weak peroxide solution after it's set up. Spraying some deer scent on it is a good idea (make sure a buck doesn't attack the blind!!).

Also be careful leaving it on public land as other peoples blinds have disappeared from time to time, much like trailcams and treestands. Some fellow "outdoorsmen" don't have much in the way of class.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:14 PM

saw one used this year camo blind, first week deer season had deer all around him they didn't even worry about it .. he had pic's of deer with in 10ft and we saw the deer that he saw... i have used a made natural ground blind for years on hill on mill cuts and been very sucessfull calling in Elk /Moose/Wolf and Deer/Elk/Moose/Grouse have walk by... but this blind was use for long lange spotting as you could see cuts for miles(spot and stalk).. similar to coulee spotting.. Hunting Chronicles ..Jason/Grame/Kevin Spenst.. started spot and stalk there with me