Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Default Edmonton Boat and Sportsman show Mar 17-20

Is the Edm Boat and Sportsman show worth attending for hunting info?
Just looked at the website and it seems impressive however; I thought that this forum would be the best way to get real feedback in reagrds to value and time spent.....
Any opinions?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM

I went there today and walked around for about 2hrs. It had lots of boats and fishing outfitters. The hunting stuff I was a little disappointed in. I was hoping there would be more but in my opinion there was not alot (comparing it to huntfest when it was here). I did talk to alot of people and got to swap some stories so it was good that way. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. I was looking for more vendors and what not.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback; thats what I was afraid of.... Living out of town, I would not be happy to spend the better part of a day to be disapointed.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothills26 View Post
I went there today and walked around for about 2hrs. It had lots of boats and fishing outfitters. The hunting stuff I was a little disappointed in. I was hoping there would be more but in my opinion there was not alot (comparing it to huntfest when it was here). I did talk to alot of people and got to swap some stories so it was good that way. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. I was looking for more vendors and what not.
Just got out of there and I agree 100 percent.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 PM

I take it there wasn't really any good deals? I know that they usually have some decent sales, I go mostly to enter all the draws and what not! I hope that ill find something that catches my eye, and hopefully it's on sale!
Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 PM

I went 2 years ago to give it one last chance. been 3 times in the last 10 and it really sucks compared to what it used to be for hunting stuff. You used to have a pile of good deals on hunting stuff but no more. Unless you want to look at quads and boats you are better to wait tilll huntfest. i think Huntfest is going to take the stage now for the most part as there is more to offer and you can get some deals there. I liked that it didn't cost a fortune to park and get into huntfest compared to Sportsman show either.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM
sheephunter

Seen lots of guns going out the door today. Haven't had time to check prices but many people said they were good. You just about needed reservations to talk to the guys at Corlanes. Show looks as good as it ever has to me in the past 23 years I've been coming.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM

I just got back home from the show as well. I haven't been to the show for over 5 years and I can't say I was overly impressed. As a few of the other posters have said, if you're looking for a boat or quads, there are lots there. Price wise I didn't see a whole bunch of " deals " on either of these items either. I will say the people working the booths are very friendly and outgoing so I guess it was worth the 4 hours down there just to shoot the bull with them. I'll check it out again in another 5 years and see what happens.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:09 PM

Default Shows

Beaver County Hunter,
If your from Beaver County, you know all there is to know about hunting.
The B+S show won't teach you anything.
I won't be going. I have everything I need to hunt in your part of the province and elsewhere.
I won't be taking any trips with outfitters to other parts of the world.
My Glastron still gets me across the lake and back.
My scope and rifle still do what I know it can.
Knives are sharp.
I have an excess of camo.

Nope, I opt to work in the driveway this weekend.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I went 2 years ago to give it one last chance. been 3 times in the last 10 and it really sucks compared to what it used to be for hunting stuff. You used to have a pile of good deals on hunting stuff but no more. Unless you want to look at quads and boats you are better to wait tilll huntfest. i think Huntfest is going to take the stage now for the most part as there is more to offer and you can get some deals there. I liked that it didn't cost a fortune to park and get into huntfest compared to Sportsman show either.
Huntfest? Never heard of it. When, where?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 PM

i was there last time it was out, if you are looking just too see some neat stuff not buy mutch then i would go but if you would like to buy stuff then it will be a little pricey.

WTB snow goose decoys
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM

If your interest is boats, it's likely an enjoyable venue.

I am interested in hunting and shooting. Too many disappointments. The last time I went was 4 or 5 years ago. I don't see myself wasting the money on parking or entry anytime soon.

Hope you like boats.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

Thanks guys for the heads up

So it appears the hunting stuff is not too good.

Is there very much for fishing/duck hunting kayaks?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM

was texted by another AO member not to bother. I guess you cant please everybody.. but it sure beats a kick in the face or sitting at home
Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 PM
sheephunter

Finally got a chance to go check some gun prices out and there are some smoking deals. X-Bolts for $800, Savage Predators for $600 and lots of other really good prices. Saw one guy walk out with three rifles today...lol

Basing the show on what you saw two years ago is like comparing your 8-track to and iPod...lol They'll never make everyone happy that's for sure but there's lots to see and do. Good value for the price.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
was texted by another AO member not to bother. I guess you cant please everybody.. but it sure beats a kick in the face or sitting at home
Right on AB:

Thanks for lighting the fire under my lazy butt.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Finally got a chance to go check some gun prices out and there are some smoking deals. X-Bolts for $800, Savage Predators for $600 and lots of other really good prices. Saw one guy walk out with three rifles today...lol

Basing the show on what you saw two years ago is like comparing your 8-track to and iPod...lol They'll never make everyone happy that's for sure but there's lots to see and do. Good value for the price.

Are you serious??????????? Guess the guy who texted me wanted me to miss out on those. I am SOOOOOOOOO there!!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 PM

I was there today (thursday) and it was as empty as i have ever seen it. In hall A i beleive near the center there is some outdoors store from grande praire selling DVD's for $5 (tax included) regular 19.95, so i bought four. I'm sure with hunt fest now in Edmonton alot of the hunting related orgnizations come for that instead of the sportsman show, which is probably why it is smaller.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:23 AM

That single hall you were in is hall A it is 67,000 square feet or nearly twice the footage of last years Huntfest - by itself. May not have been your cup of tea but small it isn't.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 AM

Went today . If you want hunting items start in hall a . I talked to the guys at corlanes out of bc great bunch of guys and looking to buy a gun from them. My boy loved the live2hunt booth
Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Huntfest is moving to Northlands this year. You'll be paying the same to park for it as the Sportsman show.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 AM

Wish I could have made it there this week. Will be attending the sheep function in Red Deer and delivering and picking up animals so I have to miss it this year,usually a good show.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
Wish I could have made it there this week. Will be attending the sheep function in Red Deer and delivering and picking up animals so I have to miss it this year,usually a good show.
I know someone who is very excited to see his ram that you did!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 PM
sheephunter

Check out what the Journal had to say about the Edmonton Boat and Sportsmen Show http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...772/story.html
Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 PM

Just got back from the show and to moi, the hunting section was way better than the past few shows. Nice it is no longer in the dungeon known as Hall D. Decent deal on Tour Edition spinning reels at the Fishing Centre display, picked one up and had the Quantum rep order me another rod as well. The ice fishing world record walleye was awesome to see, what a hog! All in all, thought the show was well worth the $11 admission ($2 off for the WIN card)

Also picked up a subscription to AO magazine and the AO forum member decal.

Last edited by JohninAB; 03-18-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Heading down there Sat. AM for a bit. I'll be the guy with three excited young'uns in tow and a blue backpack - if you see me there, don't be too shy to walk up and say "Hey, Stinky!"

Always great to meet fellow forum members.

Cheers,
Stinky
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
, Savage Predators for $600

ok TJ..... seriously... where and which booth, im going in the morning!!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I went today and thought it was worth checking out
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM

I was at the aheia booth tonite and it was a great turnout

I went to see TJ and Rich do their ballistics talk..... I didnt think TJ could read lips. As it turns out, he can and thus, I was given a very nice Argo hat........lol

Checked out Brad Fenson's photo album and chatted with Vanessa.

One thing I can count on is the friendly people I have come to know from AO

As for the show, I saw some pretty good rifle deals and many other worthwhile items depending on what you need. I do need to find a two man treestand tho and i havent found one yet

Definitely worth going to
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 PM

Ab Bigbore you are looking for Big Country Outdoors, but all the had left tonight was a 204. I was was talking to one of the guys there and they are hoping to get some more in tommorrow.Overall the show was good, found a few good deals, renewed my subscribtion to AO,and also picked up a decal for my truck.