Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Road corridor sanctuaries apply to ALL people. I once saw some fellows who had shot a moose in one and I got their plate # and description and called F&W. They were "first nations" fellows.

They were caught red handed (no pun intended) and charged and convicted.
I know they are for all people but the ones that shoot the most animals along here dont seem to care. And the worst thing is that time of year there isnt many guys up there to catch them "red handed". This past winter is the worst ive seen it in quite a few years for subsistance hunters out there.
SG
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
and do they not think that the hungarian partridge is at low numbers as well? yet, they increased the limit from 5 to 6. Rather Mr. Morton spending that money on RAMP he should've done something about the environment! I'm all for saving a species but closing it will do nothing for the birds. In fact, lets look at the sage grouse populations. I guess it most have been all the hunters that killed them all. A better alternative is to lower the limits maybe to 1 or 2 but if it gets closed it will never be opened again. i sometimes wonder where these biologics get their degrees from.
Maybe they are smarter than you give them credit for. Someone with a degree from a good school would first check and see what average dailly harvest is before assuming that reducing the bag limit to 1or2 might make a difference. If an average sharpie hunter shoots less than 1/2 a bird a day when hunting them so a bag limit change to address a critically low population is the biological equivalent of pizz'n into the wind.

From what I understand, days in the field has way more impact over annual harvest. That's probably why they cut the season in remaining open areas to only 30 days.

Having said that, Kennedy, I agree with you that closing the season is dissapointing as maybe a solution could have been arrived without resorting to that.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM

Thanks for printing these Rocky, the resolutions that passed will be on our website with ASRD answers when we get them. to those that agree, we are working for you, join us. To those that disagree, join us, your arguement may be the one that keeps a resolution from passing.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:51 PM

Sunday hunting will be expanded in WMUs 210-414.

Does anyone know the details on Sunday hunting changes?

thx
Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
Sunday hunting will be expanded in WMUs 210-414.

Does anyone know the details on Sunday hunting changes?

thx
We'll be able to hunt Sunday....lol
Old 03-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Can anyone clear up the section on Cypress Elk?

What does dissolved mean....do we lose our priority or will it be transferrable to any either elk draw zone?

Are they cancelling the Cypress Elk draws totally to be no hunting?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
We'll be able to hunt Sunday....lol
Cute,
I should have been more specific.
You couldn't hunt Sundays in the 404,406 and 408 until November 1st last year.
Is the proposal that Sunday's are OK to hunt from the start of the 1st season until the end of the last season?
When it says "Sunday hunting will be expanded" doesn't necessarily mean "there will be no Sunday hunting restrictions".

I hope your correct S.H. or should I call you S.A. lol
Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch10 View Post

What does dissolved mean....do we lose our priority or will it be transferrable to any either elk draw zone?

From my understanding we will be able to apply in other areas, just the same others can now apply for cypress hills
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Cute,
Is the proposal that Sunday's are OK to hunt from the start of the 1st season until the end of the last season?
When it says "Sunday hunting will be expanded" doesn't necessarily mean "there will be no Sunday hunting restrictions".

I occasionally get called that...lol My understanding is that it will be for the entire season in K-Country too.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It's my understanding that draw code 20 will be no more. Instead there will be a either sex draw code with several WMUs to chose from. The two I know are Cypress Hills and Camp Wainwright. Your priority will carry over to this new draw code.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I occasionally get called that...lol My understanding is that it will be for the entire season in K-Country too.
Me too..

This is good news.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:

This was the proposed change.

Quote:
RECOMMENDED CHANGE

Making changes to the WMU 300 and Cypress Hills Elk Special Licences and Draws is undergoing consultation between Fish and Wildlife and major stakeholders. Depending upon results of the consultation process the following options are currently being considered, specifically;

Create a new Special Licence Draw Code for either sex elk.

Eliminate the Cypress Hills Special Licence (Draw Code 20). Provide the opportunity for individuals with current priority in this draw code to choose which elk draw code (Draw Code 18, 19 or new Either Sex draw code) to move their current priority into. Individuals with current priority in Cypress Hills would be the only applicants with priority in the new Either Sex Draw Code; therefore they would not loose their relative priority ranking to hunt in Cypress Hills under the new draw code.

Eliminate the WMU 300 Elk Special Licence (Draw Code 21). Hunters with priority in Draw Code 21 will be given the choice to transfer their current priority into either Draw Code 18 or 19.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
My understanding is that it will be for the entire season in K-Country too.
Sure hope so. No more one day mega hikes, now a guy can hunt a couple days and camp out on a weekend.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Sure hope so. No more one day mega hikes, now a guy can hunt a couple days and camp out on a weekend.
Guess we'll be spending a lot more time together this fall...hey We can just hike twice as far now
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Guess we'll be spending a lot more time together this fall...hey We can just hike twice as far now
Can't wait, how much longer till fall?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 PM

I feel that Sunday hunting has opened up a lot more opportunities for me to get out hunting! It was hard for me before having only one day on the weekend! I'm also glad to see they are expanding it! If you live in an area that only allows hunting for 4 days of the week, then why do you need a break? You get 3 days of grace every week!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
It's my understanding that draw code 20 will be no more. Instead there will be a either sex draw code with several WMUs to chose from. The two I know are Cypress Hills and Camp Wainwright. Your priority will carry over to this new draw code.
Dan did Rob C say that? I am very curious how this one will be sorted out. I am hoping for what was proposed (Walking Buffalo quoted)!!

Quote:
Camp Wainwright will also be going to an either sex elk hunt
That looks like good news to those of us worried that the C.W. might be canceled. Was there any talk about the Camp wainwright hunts? From F&W.
I don't think anything has been decided yet at least on the base end. The elk change had been agreed on before the issues of the future of the CW hunt began. I think an AO member brought up the topic at the conf with SRD.
But I am sure you all wrote you letters of concern....right?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
from what i understand its to reduce conflict with other forest users....namely campers. in the far south it was may 15th closing to avoid campers on the long weekend, but i have heard rumors that is going a little longer too.
Thanks, Makes some sence i guess, But i dont think you will see any campers around or near my bear baits, but you do see the odd quader so maybe, I am not sure but i wish they would open it to June 15th.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
No rumour...it's going to be the 31st.
What about west of rocky, Have you heard anything about lengthing the bear season in central alberta?
Old 03-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
What about west of rocky, Have you heard anything about lengthing the bear season in central alberta?
No mention of it.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-05-2011, 03:44 PM

when are the new regs released? i am going spring bear hunting this year for my first time and i wanna make sure that im on the up and up with all the rules. Or do the 2010 regs apply to the spring hunt of 2011?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Not to start a debate, but Sunday hunting is not for everyone, especially the rural population that sometimes need a break from the insanity of the season... IMO.
Except many hunters used to be able to hunt only on Saturdays, and it that was your religious day that you observe, it basically meant you were SOL.

A good move, and since introduced in the white area, very little negative feedback.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Can anyone enlighten me on what they mean by the draw code 20 cypress elk will be "Disolved"?

Does that mean everyone starts at "0" prority who currently has cypress elk or that you keep the priority,but the draw know is included for either sex elk special licence? if that makes any sense to anyone?

I'm a priority 6 for cypress elk and have prority 3 for wmu 300 Elk,so does that make me a prority 9 now,or do I have "0" prority?? LOL
Anybody?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Anybody?
See post #70

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
See post #70
I Totaly missed that!!!

Thanks for the Heads up!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
I'm all for saving a species but closing it will do nothing for the birds. In fact, lets look at the sage grouse populations. I guess it most have been all the hunters that killed them all. A better alternative is to lower the limits maybe to 1 or 2 but if it gets closed it will never be opened again. i sometimes wonder where these biologics get their degrees from.
Absolutely!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Cute,

You should add 400,402 to the list as well. It will put more pressure on the sheep during hunting season.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
You should add 400,402 to the list as well. It will put more pressure on the sheep during hunting season.
not sure about more pressure being a concern...but a few rams will die a few days earlier.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This was the proposed change.
I think anybody that is in those current draw codes should automatically be put into the either sex draw and not the draw codes 18 or 19. That's not far to those that are close to getting a tag in codes 18 or 19. If some one has been putting in for Cypress Elk it must mean they want that tag, so give them the opportunity to take either sex. Maybe the government plans on giving out a lot more tags in the draw 18 or 19 just like they have been doing with Mule Deer and Antelope.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM
sheephunter

Don't forget the other big change. As of April 1 we will be able to use rabbit sounds on our e-callers too.