Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Not to start a debate, but Sunday hunting is not for everyone, especially the rural population that sometimes need a break from the insanity of the season... IMO.
You have a break many months of the year ............some people only get weekends off ...................1 day to hunt a week to hunt.............I feel sorry for these dudes !!!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
There were a bunch of resolutions for fishing as well. Is anyone going to post something similar to this thread on the fishing forum?
Like Duffy mentioned these are not resolutions. These are the changes that SRD plans to have in effect this year. They have 2 months yet to adjust things before they go to the printers. Its pretty much a done deal, but not written in stone yet.

As far as the fishing changes go, I posted them in the Fishing section on Friday.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
You have a break many months of the year ............some people only get weekends off ...................1 day to hunt a week to hunt.............I feel sorry for these dudes !!!
One day is better than none... If it is important to be in the field more than just the one day per week, burn up some holidays....
Old 03-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Why are we closing the Sharptail season North/central locations? I saw tons of them this past season.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
Why are we closing the Sharptail season North/central locations? I saw tons of them this past season.
According to SRD numbers are at a critical level throughout the region.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I agree ............better safe than sorry !!!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
hunting cougars in cypress hills area with no dogs hits close to home.u can count me & droptine in on that.
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! i was wishing for that like you wouldnt believe.....but didnt think it would really come true!!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM

If landowners can keep cougars ,I wonder if trappers will beable to keep them. It saves SRD from burning a bunch.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I can vouch for that !!! 510, 505, 508, only saw 2 of them all season. @ years ago you could see 10 + a day ! THey've had it rough in that area !
Old 03-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
did the RAMP program not solve some of these issues in the southern zones a couple years ago????
The ramp program was and is a joke .. just like the rest of Mr. Mortons ideas ..Most of the land involved already allowed hunting , just like alot of government programs it was abused and not well thought out .. paid hunting comes to mind ..
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Closing the season has no benefit for these birds. What they need to do is improve habitat habitat habitat habitat. Wonder if this is Mortons idea again. Once its closed it will stay closed forever. I wonder why South Dakota has a healthy population of pheasants and sharptails yet they see more upland hunters each year than Alberta can ever dream of.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
Closing the season has no benefit. what they need to do is improve habitat habitat habitat habitat. .
Yup, Corrigan even said it was all habitat related but they were worried about hunters wiping out localized populations of birds.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM

and do they not think that the hungarian partridge is at low numbers as well? yet, they increased the limit from 5 to 6. Rather Mr. Morton spending that money on RAMP he should've done something about the environment! I'm all for saving a species but closing it will do nothing for the birds. In fact, lets look at the sage grouse populations. I guess it most have been all the hunters that killed them all. A better alternative is to lower the limits maybe to 1 or 2 but if it gets closed it will never be opened again. i sometimes wonder where these biologics get their degrees from.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 PM

Elk in 508? Heard of a few in there but this is good to hear! Going to have to revisit the area and do some scouting!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:07 PM

I like the idea of 3 days worth of Specks, goes along well with the 3 days worth of Snows. There were certainly lots of Specks around last fall thru Sept and Oct. That could make for a happy tummy.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
HOLY CRAP!!!!!! i was wishing for that like you wouldnt believe.....but didnt think it would really come true!!!!

Can't wait for the details of the "Fall" Cougar season!

Any mention of changes to the Draw system, priority cap, successful sheep hunter wait times?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Can't wait for the details of the "Fall" Cougar season!

Any mention of changes to the Draw system, priority cap, successful sheep hunter wait times?
Not for 2011
Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 AM

what about the red squirrels ? Or did I miss it in someones post?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Oh I think the red squirrel thing must be Morton's doing. He probably wants to attract more americans here to hunt them.. And of course there will be payed squirrel hunting, its a slippery slope you know.

And what about all this cold weather and deep snow. You can bet that Morton had something to do with it.

Ah.. sorry , just got caught up in the contagious "Morton paranoia".

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM

We do all our hunting in 164 is the change to elk there mean that there will be a general elk season or just a change to the existing draw season?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Thumbs up Awsome

Awsome Site for sure, The one thing that i realy like if it goes through is the fact that we can bowhunt Sept 1st, That right there is AWSOME.

One thing that puzzels me and mabey someone can share there thoughts and ideas why is it that our Bear Season is only open till May31 instead of June 15 like it is up North. I know we as hunters could take alot more BIG bores if it was opened longer.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
- There will be a new fall cougar season in all 100 & 500 WMUs. No dogs allowed.
I believe that should be 100 - 500 WMU's. We were discussing this as it was presented, because we are in the 200 WMU's, and the map showed hunting seasons in the 200 WMU's.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

I like the idea of the new road corridors in the Rocky/Clearwater areas but the main focus should be on the ones shooting along these roads during the winter months. Lots of moose gut piles along the trunk road this winter and even inside the existing corridors that are there.
SG
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
- Any WMU that had an archery start date in September will now have a set start date of Sept 1st. WMUs 404-410 will start on Sept 8th.
- There will be a closure of Sharp-tail grouse hunting in north/central Alberta.
- Grouse seasons will run from Sept 1 – Nov 30.
- Ruffed grouse limits will be decrease to 5 per day
Hope the bolded one is set in stone!

Gives a longer grouse season, but less ruffies. My favorite bird, oh well hope that means theres going to be more the up coming years!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
One thing that puzzels me and mabey someone can share there thoughts and ideas why is it that our Bear Season is only open till May31 instead of June 15 like it is up North. I know we as hunters could take alot more BIG bores if it was opened longer.
from what i understand its to reduce conflict with other forest users....namely campers. in the far south it was may 15th closing to avoid campers on the long weekend, but i have heard rumors that is going a little longer too.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
from what i understand its to reduce conflict with other forest users....namely campers. in the far south it was may 15th closing to avoid campers on the long weekend, but i have heard rumors that is going a little longer too.
No rumour...it's going to be the 31st.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Question Draw Code 20 Cypress Elk

Can anyone enlighten me on what they mean by the draw code 20 cypress elk will be "Disolved"?

Does that mean everyone starts at "0" prority who currently has cypress elk or that you keep the priority,but the draw know is included for either sex elk special licence? if that makes any sense to anyone?

I'm a priority 6 for cypress elk and have prority 3 for wmu 300 Elk,so does that make me a prority 9 now,or do I have "0" prority?? LOL
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I like the idea of the new road corridors in the Rocky/Clearwater areas but the main focus should be on the ones shooting along these roads during the winter months. Lots of moose gut piles along the trunk road this winter and even inside the existing corridors that are there.
SG
Road corridor sanctuaries apply to ALL people. I once saw some fellows who had shot a moose in one and I got their plate # and description and called F&W. They were "first nations" fellows.

They were caught red handed (no pun intended) and charged and convicted.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Gone Hunting

Camp Wainwright will also be going to an either sex elk hunt

That looks like good news to those of us worried that the C.W. might be canceled.

Was there any talk about the Camp wainwright hunts? From F&W.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I like the idea of 3 days worth of Specks, goes along well with the 3 days worth of Snows. There were certainly lots of Specks around last fall thru Sept and Oct. That could make for a happy tummy.
Oddly enough, we were at 3 days worth of specks (and all migratory birds) last year too. I hear the 3 times possession for 2011 is an extension into upland game birds.

Also, to clear up the rumour, Hungarian were DECREASED from 6 to 5 for 2011 not increased.

Also, Huns are not at critical levels as earlier stated. Lets get facts right before they are posted.

"Just cleaning things up"