Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2010, 04:08 PM

Default ????Bow hunting wmu 509 moose????

Anyone ever try bow hunting 509 for moose
Old 06-19-2010, 08:15 AM

I did, but not for a few years. I hunt in 510 now.

Cheers.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Rumour is you have to know someone who owns land, Ive been told it's hard to get permision and the elk cruise through the farmland alot. Lots of guys with bows chase those elk too. Some real dandys in that zone from what I hear. May have to get a county map and knock on some doors.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:55 PM

It's an awsome place for moose....... getting permission is the hard part. I was on 5 buls last year just couldnt close the deal. Good luck in your quest

AL
Old 06-19-2010, 06:30 PM

Default 509

I have lived in 509 my entire life, like the other guys said its hard to get permission unless you know someone. Since the fort mac boom a few years ago guys have been starting to get fed up in 509 and 503 with the tresspassing, more so in 503 around wandering river....BUT since you bowhunt and the moose rut out there takes place during an achery only season you will be hard pressed to find people bow hunting the crown land in 509. Come November I sit at home and watch the Oilers get thumped as the back gravel roads become highways.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Default Bow hunting in 509

I gave it a try last hunting season, I went up past the river on the way towards the mill, mostly crown land etc. Well I had what should have been an excellent spot not far off of the hiway near where it turns to gravel. Lots of cover , willows and water. I could not find one moose track or dropping, but what i did find was alot of Natives doing road hunting and at night they are out there with spot lights and rifles shooting anything that moves. I had the wild life officer check me out the day I was leaving and he confirmed it, he said in winter when the ground is frozen they head in even deeper with large hunting parties and simple ambush anything that moves as it is evident by the flags set up around clearings. I had to drive my quad in 15kms to find moose and elk droppings and tracks. Best bet is the farm land or the mill has permission slips set up for there tree farm areas as for the crown land, well the cutlines are to good and the natives hunt steady. I know of guys who live and farm there have harvested some nice animals but real hard to get access, good luck with that zone.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudscuba View Post
I gave it a try last hunting season, I went up past the river on the way towards the mill, mostly crown land etc. Well I had what should have been an excellent spot not far off of the hiway near where it turns to gravel. Lots of cover , willows and water. I could not find one moose track or dropping, but what i did find was alot of Natives doing road hunting and at night they are out there with spot lights and rifles shooting anything that moves. I had the wild life officer check me out the day I was leaving and he confirmed it, he said in winter when the ground is frozen they head in even deeper with large hunting parties and simple ambush anything that moves as it is evident by the flags set up around clearings. I had to drive my quad in 15kms to find moose and elk droppings and tracks. Best bet is the farm land or the mill has permission slips set up for there tree farm areas as for the crown land, well the cutlines are to good and the natives hunt steady. I know of guys who live and farm there have harvested some nice animals but real hard to get access, good luck with that zone.

Welcome to the great white north, thats a pretty comon story in alot of northern zones. At the gas plant where I now work we pay a native fellow $32 bucks an hour to ride pipelines 5 days a week, the guy actualy had the nerve to request that CNRL buy him a bigger skidoo because the Tundra he is supplyed with has a hard time pulling a moose out. This guy alone shot over 20 moose in 542 last year, thats probably more than what was legaly killed all season in that zone. Sadly this story is fairly standard, you want good moose hunting head south.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Default Information

Cal, I would hope that you are passing this critical information on the the local Fish and Wildlife Officers...... so it can be utilized...... if not, pass it on, this is critical information!!!!!

Q
Old 03-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIsley View Post
Cal, I would hope that you are passing this critical information on the the local Fish and Wildlife Officers...... so it can be utilized...... if not, pass it on, this is critical information!!!!!

Q
There is nothing illegal about whats going on as far as I know. About the only thing he could get in trouble for is hunting on company time, thats CNRL's buisness and they dont seem to care. I think a good portion of the province has no idea about the gross overhunting that northern moose populations are subjected to year round, and the worst part is there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I get a chuckle when I see the southern boys riding around on quads for days looking for moose in some of these zones, if you can get a quad there then any moose that may have been there are probably already dead.

I think SRD as written alot of these zones off since alot of zones with very poor moose populations are realy easy to get tags for. Pretty much if you can draw a tag with no priority you had better be willing to go deep or you probably wont get a moose. I usualy get my moose most years but trust me, they dont come easy.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM

PHP Code:
I have lived in 509 my entire lifelike the other guys said its hard to get permission unless you know someoneSince the fort mac boom a few years ago guys have been starting to get fed up in 509 and 503 with the tresspassingmore so in 503 around wandering river....BUT since you bowhunt and the moose rut out there takes place during an achery only season you will be hard pressed to find people bow hunting the crown land in 509. Come November I sit at home and watch the Oilers get thumped as the back gravel roads become highways
YUP your going to bump into ppl

If your willing to do the searching, the bush wacking you'll find a moose.
Go north of llb if you want some freedom to not have to ask for permission.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 PM

I've hunted 509 before and its ok. Don't know what equipment you have access to (boat) but any luck we've had is to access the zone from the west off the Athabasca. Lots of work if you get a moose but i've seen a ton along the river.

Bow season will definitely put you at an advantage. I almost never see anybody around there in the early season.

Best of luck!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
There is nothing illegal about whats going on as far as I know. .
There is no way in hell he is eating that many moose a year. They can still nail him if he is wasting it or selling it.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
There is no way in hell he is eating that many moose a year. They can still nail him if he is wasting it or selling it.
But they won't. I've talked to F&W about this kind of thing and they either pretend its not a problem or come right out and tell me they cant do anything. Sorry for hijacking the thread, just wish more of the province was aware that these kinds of things happen on a pretty regular basis up here.

In any case dont bother hunting around gas plants.

Last edited by Cal; 03-22-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM

Those elk are pushed really hard in 509,my dads neighbour even had a cow [bovine] shot out there,Ive never seen so much traffic as last yr.