Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Fetching Question

I'm looking for a tighter and more consistsnt shot. Currently my field point shoot perfectly but my broadheads are way off. I looked at tuning the arrow rest.

I'm shooting Muzzy four bladed broadheads and I was wondering to what extent should I worry about getting one or two of the blades somewhat indexed to my (3) vains. Should I get helical vains, scrap the Muzzys and get three bladed ones...

What do you guys think?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 PM

Default Fletching

Fetching and vains.....I dunno!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:54 AM

Helical fletching can help assuming your not shoot through a whisker biscuit. Have you shot your bow through paper? Is your Arrow spine matched to draw weight? I am by no means an expert on the topic but the little bit of shooting that I do I quickly realized that when broad heads are not grouping well or are flying erratically it was caused by me or the tuning of my bow. In my personal experience when I couldn't get my broad heads to fly nicely, shooting through paper showed me a couple things. One being that my arrow wasn't leaving my bow nice a level and two I was gripping my bow too hard and torqueing it slightly to the side.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Also where are you located? If you are anywhere near Red Deer go to Red Deer archery and talk to Pat. They helped me a lot there and corrected me of more than one bad habit.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 AM

I'm shooting through a wbiscuit. It's a 60lbs Quest and shooting Easton ST Excel 340 with 125gr 4 blade Muzzys.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 AM

I couldn't get muzzys to fly with the field points either.. my bow is tuned perfectly so I switched to the 3 blade shuttle t black ops and they fly dead on out to 40yds..
other suggestions are steelforce phatheads, rage hypodermics, NAP killzones, magnus buzzcuts all fly dead on with the field points out to 40yds
I am shooting Easton hex 330's with the 50gr brass insert and 2"blazer vanes

good luck
Old 08-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Ever shot through paper? ( Paper tuning )
Old 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico7mm View Post
Ever shot through paper? ( Paper tuning )
I've paper tuned before but it cause more headaches than anything. Tuned it to paper but then it shot poorly at 40yards...very erratic.

I try to try to stay away from paper now...lol
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM

Sorry that I can't help you.
I thought this thread was about training a retriever.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 PM

I bought some 3 blade NAPs, indexed them and they shoot a 2" group at 40 yards...consistently! Very happy about that! Mussy can kiss my @ss! lol.

Thanks for all the PMs and pointers.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Glad the NAP's shoot well for you. Probably not Thunderheads??

I shot muzzy MX4's for several years. They were one of the few fixed blades broadheads that I found did fly pretty much the same as POI as field points. Very low profile. It does not matter that much about indexing. I still do it, but if my bow is tuned I find it makes little difference at distances under 50 yards.

I switched to montecs..have to re-sight from fieldpoints, but they group very tight. I wanted a cutting tip broadhead when I made a big drop in draw weight.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:00 AM

Most likely tuning issue or arrow spine, some bow can be tricky to tune. Also contact a good archery shop, shooting technique flaws will affect arrow flight. bow torque effect will be amplified by the broadhead. If running out of time you can hide some of your issues by shooting a good mechanical broadhead but fixing the problem would be better.