Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM

Default Practice with broadheads?

Pretty new to bowhunting I shot a whitetail last year with mu bow but I did not shoot with broadheads until gametime... Made a clean kill but I figure it makes sense to practice with broadheads. Can I do this with my shooting block at home or do I have to go to a range? Does everyone do this?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 PM

Oh yes!!! Practicing with broadheads is a must. Plenty can go wrong if you just screw them on without testing them for same POI as your field points. If you have a block then they work fine. Pretty much any foam target will. Most ranges will state whether or not you can shoot broadheads. If you can it will most likely be on a separate back stop sort of thing. Broadheads will shorten the life of your block but it is a small price to pay for knowing your arrow is going where you intend. I keep a set of blades just for practice and replace with new ones before hunting. Check your broadheads and best of luck.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM

IMHO 100% A Must!!!!!!!!

Many of those that simply screw a broadhead on year after year with practice, testing or tuning are in fact wounding animals out there...

Had a case of a weekend warrior that did that year after year I asked him how his broadheads shot...he said same hole as field points I asked to see..even provided the same broadhead for the test...

The POI was two feet..thats 2 feet off at 20 yards...the heads planed badly...I knew it would as his arrows fish tailed more than most fish...

Neil
Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 PM

I guess it just worked out well for me last year then... hit behing the shoulder, buck didnt go 100 yards. In any case I shot for about an hour or so last night (half with broadheads half with field tips) and plan to every night from now until sept first.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:39 PM

Just upgraded from a 30 year old bow to a new compound and switched to broadheads after targeting field points for a while. The broadheads were 8 inches left consistently. Had to adjust accordingly.

People must move the sights back for the field points once hunting season ends.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM

at 20 yards my broadheads are bang on with my field points!
gotta tighten up my groups at 30 before i can really determine at that distance.
still, looking promising.
benefits of a well tuned bow i guess?

Schian

Last edited by schian; 08-15-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Not only is practice a must it will give you the confidence that the broadhead will hit where you are aiming. Any time you make a change to your set up get out there and shoot. Better to find out something is off in your back yard or at the range than while your up a tree stand drawing on a doe/buck.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:13 PM

I dont even own field tips

I shoot broadheads only. Several different types

Yup, i have destroyed a couple blocks and a mountain goat 3d target, but thats the price

My son has different markings on his sights and adjusts between field tips and broadheads. Works for him
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM

D: ..Keeping in mind ..ideally for perfect tune is to have chosen broadhead and field opoints with the exact same POI [point of impact]..

However not all broadheads are created equally and/or fly the same...even thou for example one chooses two heads...one may fly with the same POI and the other wont, the one that wont however can be tuned to fly true...but chances are the first head will now not fly true...

Some are extremelly anal about having the same POI...others simply move their sights and some are locked up in a rubber room as it drives them squirrly...lol

Neil
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM

As already noted, good tuning and preparation before season will ensure proper broadhead flight (which can vary significantly from field tips) during season.

One lesson I learned early on was to shoot broadheads during the season too. Hiking around with bow in hand can create changes in your setup (string stretch, small bumps to sights, peep, etc). Missed a shot that I thought was a gimme in one of the first seasons I hunted. Went to shoot some arrows the day after and found I was hitting almost 2' high at 40yds! Re-tuned and continued to shoot regularly through season since then. Seems obvious enough but worth pointing out Arrows don't magically find their mark.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 PM

I just use two separate sights, one for broad heads, one for field points.

Little bit pricey to start, but it works for me!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:01 AM

Thumbs up

Swiched to my practice broadheads last night and shooting pretty much same as my field points at 20yds using montec 100s
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 AM

My son in law gave me his 2006 PSE Triton and got me started in archery. I couldn't get it to broad head tune. The 2 prong style rest did not have enough room for adjustment. I never did use it for hunting. I've upgraded to a new bow, and will use the Triton as a back up. When I was in Oregon a few weeks ago, I picked up an inexpensive NAP 360 rest. I installed it on the old bow, and shot it through paper a bunch. I made all the adjustments to get it shoot clean though the paper. Sighted it in at the range, and no further adjustments were needed as now it has the same POI as my field tips, out to 50 yards.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Was punching a two inch circle with all three shots at 60 yds this past weekend...pumped and ready to release the carnage this weekend...

wish ya all the best...
Neil
Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM

good luck on the opening. I will be in Alberta at the end of September for my 2 week mulie hunt with my brother and nephew. Can't wait!
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Was punching a two inch circle with all three shots at 60 yds this past weekend...pumped and ready to release the carnage this weekend...

wish ya all the best...
Neil
WOW!!!!... you need to come shoot some FITA and break some world records....
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
WOW!!!!... you need to come shoot some FITA and break some world records....
LOL...Well it wasnt ever three shot group but certainly the last group...there are shooters on this site that can do that at 70-80 yds...

Never shot long distance FITA but have 20 yd Vegas FITA ...achieved my goal twice with a perfect 300 score with hunter tackle...irronially with a bow we would call an antique by todays standards...

we shoot 20 yard Vegas target FITA here at the shop all winter long in leagues..

Neil