Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 PM

Default What does it take to make you snap?

I'm just sitting around bored and waiting for a weekend get together for some fishing when I had a bit of a funny flashback. So I thought I would start a post for doing some venting while telling your story. Here's one from me.

I was on Travers about 5 years back and it was a nice calm day as I was trolling up and down a shoreline. I noticed a big fancy cruise boat ripping around the lake but paid it no attention until it started to head toward me. I suspect it was some guy trying the old who can pee up a fence higher trick because I was in a little 12' Jon boat and he had this big cruiser. So he goes flying by me and causes the big waves and circles and goes buy waving and causes some more crazy size waves. So I watch this yahoo flying around the lake and again he starts heading my way. So I casually pull out this stupid size lead jig that my dad used on the ocean and I hook her onto my line. I casually stand up and as he goes flying by I let he rip and WHACK it nails the side of his boat. So he swings around and is just cursing up a storm and heading towards me so I stand up with my nice shiny Rapala flitting knife to see what his concern was??? He for some reason decided to turn around and go up the lake away from me. Normally I am a really calm person but sometimes you just snap.

Dodger

Next " I snapped story"
Old 08-21-2008, 07:18 PM

Default crazy

dude thats crazy but what an ass hole to be cruising around and thinking his better than the average person
Old 08-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default Snapped

I have a couple
The worst for me is idiots that do not prep their boat before they pull into the launch. They pull into the launch, then remove tarp, remove tie downs, get rods,tackle boxes, have a drink of their coffee, visit a bit with their buddy, and on and on. Unloading should take about 2 minutes, back in, unhook the latch, back the boat into the water until it is clear of the trailer and then get the hell out of the way.
The other is boats that find it necessay to anchor exactly in the middle of the structure that I and usually others are trolling through. I realize I do not own the lake, if you want to troll through, no problem, if you want to anchor then go find your own fish and drop the rock if you like. I actually see very little etiquette on the water when it comes to fishing, some people are so obsessed with trying to catch a fish that all common sense seems to go out the window. There I'm done.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM

jackazzs that use thier scopes to look down a cutline instead of binos.

idiots that hunt but have no idea how to field dress thier animal.

Last edited by redneck posse; 08-22-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 PM

The summer Olympics what a farce. No interest don't watch. Are they over yet?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 PM

I'll add another one. I was fly fishing on the Bow when a couple of guys with six kids come down and start fishing. I know there stretching the rules by having 8 rods out and it's obvious the kids do not want to fish but they did make the kids stay by there rods. Needless to say they are catching and keeping there limit for all 8 rods. Well this was starting to make me steam a bit but I don't have the rite to say anything so I casually tie on a big streamer and OOPS I accidentally casted across all there lines. So as I ssslllooowwwllleeeyyy bring in my line and a birds nest of there's the only thing I could do was cut it off and hand it back to them with an apology. For some reason they were never around that spot again?
Dodger.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 PM
river_runner

Quote:
idiots that hunt but have no idea how to field dress there animal.
Thats why everyone should pass a test before hunting oh waite they do for first time hunter's.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Snap!

Wombats that litter. Leaving your destroyed campsite in shambles. Bottles on riverbanks.

FLY FISHERMAN THAT FEEL THE NEED TO TELL ME THAT FLY FISHING IS BETTER.

Those guys listen up; I fly fish and spin, and I know that in some cases fly usually out fishes spin. I was not born yesterday! I am not from the village! Perhaps I enjoy the extra challenge of hooking a nice spooky cutty from a crystal clear pool in the mountains on a small panther martin from under a cut bank.

Must be the relation of size from their dickie of their SJW. We are sportsmen, for heavens sake be happy that spin does not take as many fish as flies do.

Lastly, those who break limit laws, bait laws, mmmmm fried bull trout eh?, and those who treat other fisherman with disrespect.

DONE
Old 08-22-2008, 12:03 PM

I have to agree with bobalong on the boat dock. I was at Pinehurst a few weekends ago and it was busy as usual so to make things worse some idiots were using the dock to take off tubing from so they wouldnt have to get in the water. The problem there is they had 7-8 people standing on the dock waiting their turn while boats coming in and out had to wait. Also the people that tie their boat to the dock and leave it there it just makes it difficult for people loading and unloading.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Default Better yet?

[QUOTE=bobalong;176069]I have a couple
The worst for me is idiots that do not prep their boat before they pull into the launch. They pull into the launch, then remove tarp, remove tie downs, get rods,tackle boxes, have a drink of their coffee, visit a bit with their buddy, and on and on. Unloading should take about 2 minutes, back in, unhook the latch, back the boat into the water until it is clear of the trailer and then get the hell out of the way.
The wife and I got a new boat in the spring,about 3 weeks ago we were at mcgregor these people with a 20ft bot backed up,forgot the plug,pulled up took about 5 minute's to find,backed up to where only the back foot of the boat was in and then 3 guy's tried to manually push it off the trailer untill another boater had enough,yelled back the truck up more,not so polite,finally they got it off,truck drove away,I backed in and there they were holding the boat in the launch waiting for the driver that's when I had enough.I ussally don't mind waiting,this is my first year,I have no problem at the launch now I just don't like idiot's.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:06 PM

The things that make me snap .

Repeat criminals , that's one thing that ticks me off.

Being a younger guy and knowing what I know trying to share my expertise with older guys , they don't like to lissen to the 26 year.

The arse holes at Pigeon lake when your stuck fishing from shore , because your boat cant handle the 1 foot waves , and the people who can clearly see your bobber which I use a big enough one it looks like a small beacon . And then continue to tell you this is a boat launch nor a fish launch . But shut up when I stood up and asked if he wanted to talk about the matter from shore .

Rich snobby people tick me off too . but the 3rd one really makes me wanna snap and lose it .
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 PM
2430M

People who don't know the difference between there, their, they're ...your, you're and yore

Doesn't really make me snap though, more laugh because they are usually telling someone else how stupid they are

I did snap at Telus Mobility last week. Sick of their BS, must have worked, got 2 free $500 phones and unlimited everything
Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 PM

Fishing at Travers spillway with my daughters, got there early for good spot
Someone comes sets up between us throws a smelt in end of fishing for us
Very small area.
Wanted to push him in the lake
Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 PM

I'll throw my 3rd and last one in. I was hunting Teal at a fantastic pond North of Strathmore about 18 years ago. As many bird hunters have encountered when pot hole hunting the guy on the other side pulls off a shot and a couple of seconds later you have a little bit of a lead shower. But this guy would pull his two shots every time a bird flying at a 1000' passed buy. We yelled at him to give the Teal a minute and they would swoop down into the pond for some good shots,but NO he still keeps popping off his two shots with out a hope in he!! that he will hit a bird. So after an hour of this garbage and dusk settling in for prime time hunting all 3 of us snapped. So out came the plugs and in the 5 shells went on three semi auto's and then we let all 15 shots rip into the air. After our ears started to clear again we could here the cussing and the not so nice comments directed at us then he was gone. Nothing beats having a great pot hole pond that the Teal come ripping into all for yourself Now my mouth is starting to water for fried Teal breast and eggs for breakfast YUM.
Dodger.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Forgetting the food at home on a weekend trip and having to eat rippled chips and smoked oysters....used a lot of toilet paper that weekend.

Even worse....forgetting the beer at home and realizing it when you pull the jetboat into your fishing spot on the NSR.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 PM

When a herd of quadders use a river as a play ground. Happened last week to me and a buddy. Two jerks used a couple of hundred yards of the creek to run up and down just above where we were fishing. Then a 2 people ran their Rhino 5' behind me across the river. And to finish if all off - one of the guys when told what he was doing was against the law - yelled back .............................u

Quality folks,

Don
Old 08-24-2008, 10:27 PM

bobalong, I give a rat's patoot where you are trolling, as usually where I anchor, I have found that someone is trolling, thinking that they can pick up a fish and end up passing within feet of me, even though I have been there for quite some time. I have no qualm about firing a jig into the boat by mistake, as the occupants of that boat seem to think that they are entitled to my space. Give your head a shake and realize that an anchored boat has the right to be there, undisturbed. Become aware of the rules of boating, before you speak of which you might be ignorant of!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 PM

When people tailgate me, especially when I'm driving the wifes car with a 2yr old , 3 month old , my wife and a window sign that says "Baby On Board".
I get so angry my wife and I start to bicker! LoL
Crack really ****es me off.. It seams to be in everyones families. Four people in ours.( A Brother and his Wife, a Nephew, and a Nephew in-law) I get so mad trying to scheme up plans to get rid of crack dealers.
I'm certain that I could conjure other reasons for snapping but those are the ones the stand first for me.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:49 AM

Basiclly any cruelty to animals. We had this friend of my dads stay at our house for a few weeks until he could afford to travel to where ever he was going. He had a 2-3 year old Black Lab that I'm sure I gave more love and attention to in 2 weeks then he did all together.

I was only around 12, and I was sitting on the living room floor, and his dog was "forced" to stay at the landing, near the door. I ignored his "rule" and would bring his dog up and let him play with mine where ever he wanted, much to buddies dislike. Well his dog ended up peeing near the back door, since nobody was paying attention and never let him outside.

SO Buddy comes and grabs his dog by the scruff, maybe 10 feet from me and drags him to the landing and starts to whale on the poor thing. I mean the dog was terrified of him to begin with, and he was whipering in a way that made me freak out completly.

I honestly don't remember even doing most of it, but I picked up my hockey stick which was near the landing and started to bash this guys head in. He was a scary dude, but I split his wig open, and wouldn't stop till my mom grabbed me. He was so ****ed off, but he didn't say anything. He tried to take his dog and leave, but I was going to crack him again, so he just left.

He came back with a few dozen stiches a few hours later, and grabbed his stuff and left. Without his dog, aka victim, which I had hidden at a friends house.

That was a true "snap" and I'm sure I could have gotten away with temporary insantiy if I had to. I think it was because he just walked up and startled me, since I didn't know wtf he was doing, or why he was beating his dog.

Thankfully I've never been in the same situation, nor have I snapped like that again. I had the shakes for like an hour afterwards, it was crazy.

I think some of you might want to reconsider "tossing" things at other boaters. While they might ethicly be in the wrong, you can be held responsible for any damages. Tossing a heavy jig at someones boat is pretty extreme IMO, and imagine if you will, the jig hitting his little kid in the head or something. Not really on the same level with his error.

Sometimes its the ability to forgive "a-holes" of their ignorance without retaliation, that separates us from them.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Banned

Default Anchoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
bobalong, I give a rat's patoot where you are trolling, as usually where I anchor, I have found that someone is trolling, thinking that they can pick up a fish and end up passing within feet of me, even though I have been there for quite some time. I have no qualm about firing a jig into the boat by mistake, as the occupants of that boat seem to think that they are entitled to my space. Give your head a shake and realize that an anchored boat has the right to be there, undisturbed. Become aware of the rules of boating, before you speak of which you might be ignorant of!!!
If you read a little closer you will see that I was referring to boats that come into the middle of a bunch of boats that are already trolling and then anchor. If you are first on the spot and choose to anchor, IMO that is completely different as then I am coming into "your space" and by all means I will keep my distance. You mentioned that you do not appreciate someone trolling really close to you when you are anchored, same logic applies, they have the right to do it, as there is no boating or fishing law that stipulates how close you can fish to someone who is anchored.(only references to keep clear) I anchor sometime when I am fishing as well and do not appreciate someone trolling within a few feet of me either. Neither scenario IMO is showing any courtesy or etiquette for other anglers. You have the right to anchor whenever and wherever you like, just like you have the right to sit in the boat launch as long as you wish. IMO it is just poor etiquette to do so.

The following is a quote from your Safe Boating guide that I believe a lot of anglers forgot, or chose to ignore. If everyone followed this "common sense" rule, think how much different it would be on the water.

"Operators using courtesy and common sense will not create a hazard, threat, stress or be an irritant to others to the environment or to wildlife."

There was no need to get all pizzy unclebuck, this was just a thread started to vent our frustrations, the fact that you or anyone else happens to do one of the things that frustrates me, is neither here or there. I highly doubt anyone is going to change their boating practices just because I happen to dislike them. Some of them now know that their practices irritate me, just as they now know that boaters trolling really close to you, irritates you.Will anyone change, doubt it.

Last edited by bobalong; 08-29-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:16 PM

Well PlayDoh I agree with you 1000% when it comes to cruelty to any animal. As far as bouncing the jig off the side of the boat there were no children on board just a real D!#$ of a driver. The post was intended to see how far some people can take the stupidity of others before you snap! I have always been the "O Well " type of guy and I can put up with some really stupid people. I manage a factory and I daily have to keep my cool with some really defective genetics. But when the person can buzz me with 21' boat and I'm in a 12' Jon boat already bouncing around on the waves, this was the point when I snapped. What if he had children on board? You never know until that scenario happens. Chances are the kids may only have learned some old fashion cussing.
But as the post mentions what does it take to make you snap? Keep your stories and comments coming. BUT don't push me to hard or I may want to met you at the filleting table after fishing.
Dodger.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:50 PM

bobalong, I appreciate your point!! If I offended you, please accept my apology. It just p's me off, when I am anchored and the trollers go by within feet of my boat and feel that I am the intruder.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 PM

Just toss em a CIL floater and you'll help chlorinate the gene pool